“America, you lost. I won.”

Here's the story, brought to you of jurors who still don't get it:

A federal jury rejected the death penalty for al-Qaida conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui on Wednesday and decided he must spend life in prison for his role in the deadliest terrorist attack in U.S. history.

After seven days of deliberation, the nine men and three women rebuffed the government's appeal for death for the only person charged in this country in the four suicide jetliner hijackings that killed nearly 3,000 people on Sept. 11, 2001.

Three jurors decided Moussaoui had only limited knowledge of the Sept. 11 plot and three described his role in the attacks as minor, if he had any role at all.

Moussaoui, as he was led out of the courtroom after the 15-minute hearing, said: "America, you lost. I won." He clapped his hands as he was escorted away.  [Emphasis mine.]

So you so, you can be an active participant in a plan that is intended to and does result in the murder of thousands of people, and you get to spend your life in prison converting other people (many of them as angry and violent as you are) to your hate-filled ideology.

Comments

1. Trish Olsen says

As a huge believer in the death penalty, what a pity this monster didn’t get it! Yet life in prision will be no picnic. I keep thinking of that line from Office Space, “Better watch your cornhole, Bud.” I know that’s crude — but probably pretty accurate concerning Moussaouri’s future behind bars.

I don’t exactly know why the jurors didn’t get unanimously. Because cause it was far away from New York (bad bad stupid decision, always go for the location where a crime was committed if you want the max penalties), maybe that had something to do with the no death.

The jurors said they didn’t give him life because they thought life was worse than the DP. Then why did they refuse to do the DP?

Conspiracy to use WMD planes to blow up people… I don’t know exactly how they can convict him of being guilty on these charges the prosecution had, and still say he was only a minor player therefore he doesn’t deserve death.

But irregardless, the better argument for death is pretty simple. This is not a crime of McVeigh vs the state. It is McVeigh and his thousand jihadist buddies vs the State. In that situation, you really can’t afford to be keeping McVeigh in jail, and waiting for his buddies to kill a bunch of guards springing him. Or committing another terroist strike and justifying it cause you had their leader in jail (Palestins do that all the time).

What’s the jurors going to say to the next american girl,woman, child,man that gets their headchopped off because the Muslims wanted Moussie out of jail and the US government wouldn’t give into terroist demands? What you gonna say then, that it wasn’t your fault? You couldn’t do anything?

About as ethical as judges releasing rapists and murderers and then saying “oh, my bad, I didn’t know he would kill your child”.

It’s unfortunate, because the war mentality is not inherent to criminal prosecution. So the defense and the prosecution don’t really have the best arguments. Therefore the system can’t work, you don’t really hear the whole story, because like half of it is about the world and not about the defendant or the crime itself.

Next time some jihadist blows up 50 Iraqi children and says more will die until you release Moussie, what do you expect people to do? Do you expect people to say, “oh, it wouldn’t mattered, if Moussie was dead they would find someone else to justify their crimes with”.

Ya, okay, I can buy that. But that would invalidate the “let’s throw moussie in jail and everyone will forget about him and he’ll rot in prison”. My ass they’ll forget about him.

Who’s talking about McVeigh in the present tense? Nobody. Why? Cause we killed him, one year after. Dead people tell no tales, and people really don’t care about dead people. In a guerrila war, it really doesn’t matter how many martyrs you got, cause martyrs being dead, can’t really lead you in the jihad against American military might. You need live people to do that.

I’m telling you people, keeping terroists in jails and having people know that you have them and where is “Not a Good Idea”. Either innocent hostage people will die because you decided to keep a bunch of terroist pets around cause of “due process”, or the guards will die cause the jihadists will launch a prison break (like they did in Iraq, remember).

Terrorism is not meant for the courts. That Islamic Jihad funder in Florida Sami Al Sarian, Moussie, all have proved that uncomfortable fact.

There is no justice here. Why? Because you can’t have justice by imprisoning someone when his buddies are still freaking alive. Might as well arrest the drug pushers and not the destributors up top. Somewhat just, but it doesn’t stop the mob. And even if you do stop the mob, more violent peeps will fill in, so you have to REPLACE the mob with your own apparatus.

3. Lissa says

I really loved Judge Brinkema’s remarks:

“Mr. Moussaoui, when this proceeding is over, everyone else in this room will leave to see the sun … hear the birds … and they can associate with whomever they want,” she said.

She went on: “You will spend the rest of your life in a supermax prison. It’s absolutely clear who won.”

And she said it was proper he will be kept away from outsiders, unable to speak publicly again.

“Mr. Moussaoui, you came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory,” she said, “but to paraphrase the poet T.S. Eliot, instead you will die with a whimper.”

4. Trish Olsen says

I totally agree with Lissa — the words of Judge Brinkema were stunning, spell-binding; they hit right to the core! Looks like Moussaoui will be in confined to a tiny concrete cell, cut off from all other forms of life for 23 out of every 24 hours — for the rest of his days! I’d call that a fate WORSE than death. (And, of course, eventually he’ll get the death part, too.) Reduced down, his court outbursts have been little more than the tantrums of a lilly-livered punk.

I’m really glad about that. I had visions of him heading a hard core group of future urban terrorists. Frankly, I think I’d rather take a quick death, over a lifetime of true solitary confinement — and am glad I’m not making that choice. Let’s just hope France doesn’t get its hands on him because, as the Captain says, he’ll be freed in a few years on the ground that he was crazy and is now rehabilitated.

I really don’t have anything personal against Moussie. I’m not one of those bloodthirsty people who want to kill Moussie cause I think that is the worst punishment he could have. Nothing wrong with bloodthirsty, but there’s bigger fish to blow up than Moussie.

So the “Life is worse” argument, doesn’t really do anything for me. I like death, because it is convenient, I don’t want to have to deal with this guy or terroists using Moussie as propaganda, in the future, and I don’t want anyone else to have to deal with that risk either.

Neo had a good link to Vari frank on this very subject, in which Vari argued that life was less humane than death, contrary to what the French say.

I tend to think the philosophy of America, where there is life, there is hope, is true. And it is true of terroists and it is true of his buddies as well. McVeigh has no hopes, none at all, because you can’t resurrect a guy who died.