Logo-wear

Do you wear logo-wear?  By that I mean anything from a t-shirt that says “Drink Coca Cola” to a Mickey Mouse shirt or hat?  I don’t.  I’ve never figured out why I should pay to advertise someone else’s product.  It seems to be that, if the Coca Cola company wants me to walk around touting its drink, or Disney wants to use me to spread the word about Mickey Mouse, those companies should pay me.  But then again, I have no fashion sense, so the “everybody else is wearing one” mantra hasn’t worked for me.

Comments

1. dagon says

a classic sense of style that one makes one own is the best way to go. it transcends eras and trends.

and logos don’t usually go with that sort of style

peace

My Aunt Hilda, a very stylish lady who died a few years ago at the age of 91, felt the same way. She used to say, “When they make a shirt with MY name on it, I’ll think about it. Until then, don’t bother me.” That stuck with me.

I don’t understand the appeal of wearing clothing with logos for common everyday products. (Any day now, we’ll see shirts that say BRILLO, or CHEEZ WHIZ.) But it’s easy to see why some people wear designer clothes with prominent logos. It’s their way of saying, “Look what I can afford.” Those companies have tapped into, and taken advantage of, the fact that lots of people get their self esteem from external things like that. It’s brilliant on their part, even if they are playing their customers for fools. As for the Mickey Mouse stuff, I think it’s fine if you’re 6 years old.

In case you were wondering, I can afford both Brillo and Cheez Whiz, but you won’t find that out by looking in my clothes closet.

It’s a shirt, it’s just uneconomical to spend loads of money on buying shirts with logos.

There’s little pragmatic interest in having a coca cola shirt unless you really really really like coca cola.

Book,

Good thought… I have hassled my kids and grandkids for years about that very thing.. but they still do it. So much for the frail power of good ‘Ole PopPop’s suggestions..

Now, if I had one that read “ExPreacherman” with my Blog link address, I might think about it… Or maybe I could sell you one — cheap?

Jack

5. Trish says

I’ve worn character logo t-shirts, but only because someone gave them to me.

I think there are two reasons for wearing a product logo: 1. You are a collector of such items and have 5,000 more in the basement, or 2. you work for the company.

When my son was small and in a play group, another little boy came wearing a Tommy Hilfinger shirt with TOMMY in enormous letters on the front. Nobody cared about its being a designer shirt; they all though Tommy was his name.

6. mamapajamas says

I completely agree with you, Book. For me it started in the mid-’70s with the designer jeans. I wouldn’t buy them for any reason, and if someone gave a pair to me for a gift I usually cut the designer label off ;). If the label was embroidered on the back pocket, I had nothing to do with it whatsoever. My stance was that it was completely ridiculous to pay that much for jeans when Levi’s were actually the best fit and most reliable brand (and I cut the leather patch off the back of Levis, too), and… yes… I also told them that if some idiot designer wanted me to advertise their jeans, THEY could pay ME.

I no longer have a problem with that, since everyone I know KNOWS I have a problem with clothing that displays labels or other logos. But it’s taken 30 years to get the message across :).

7. mamapajamas says

In addendum, I think the real reason I’m such an extremist about not EVER wearing logos is because in the mid-’70s I was in college… studying fashion design and discovering what a massive planned obsolesence con game it all was. The designers know at least two years ahead of time what colors and fabrics are going to be “in” when… they have to have the fabrics made from scratch in order for the colors and textures to be different enough to make old clothing designs look “new”. This is the reason the major design companies all seem to “know” (via telepathy?) that next spring we’ll have “refreshing pastels” to replace this past spring’s “childish brights” (or whatever they decide). The following spring the “boring pastels” will be replaced by “dazzling metalics” or whatever, and the spring after that the “sophmoric metalics” will be replaced by whatever they come up with. Language use is probably more important than fashion sense in the industry.

8. mamapajamas says

Oh… one caveat… I DO wear a “Reese’s Cups” t-shirt, but the sole reason for it is that “Reese” is my nickname :).

I don’t wear anything else with products or designer names.

9. Stina says

I’m no fan of designer duds and the planned obsolescence of the fashion industry, but I’m also not a fan of reverse snobbery. I just don’t have the time or the money to hunt down and purchase appropriately ‘logo-free’ items.

I have about a dozen t-shirts that I wear around the house & when I exercise; I buy them for $3 apiece at a local thrift shop. Every single one has some sort of lettering or graphics on it, which is fine with me.

I have a few friends who are virulently anti-logo, and they seem to spend as much time, effort and money acquiring non-designer stuff as certain other friends I have who will only wear certain designer items.

Seems a bit silly when taken to either extreme; I just want something that fits, looks reasonably good, and won’t break the bank.

Stina:

I tend to buy most of my shirts at Costco, where it’s easy to find cheap logo-free wear. I don’t buy clothes at Goodwill — although I buy hundreds of books there — because it creeps me out to wear clothes someone else has worn. It’s not snobbery, it’s phobia! In any event, you’re certainly not one of those spending big bucks to advertise the product that a multinational corporation produces.

There are logos that aren’t for bigcompanies, I’m pretty sure you can find something to that effect that doesn’t require big bucks. In referene to the earlier point that people obsess over no logo shirts.

I recommend that you get one of those kanji character shirts, Asian style. That way nobody, including you, knows who you are advertising for.

That’s an interesting phobia bookworm, do you know from whence it came?

12. Stina says

Book:

Thanks for the tip about Costco (“cheap” being the essential word in my case, when it comes to casual clothing). I’ve never been to a Costco–I don’t have a car & I live in the middle of a major metropolitan area, so thrift shops are more accessible for me.

I have no problem buying shirts, jackets or coats second-hand; I just wash or dry-clean them thoroughly before I wear them. The thought of wearing second-hand pants or shorts, however, creeps me out completely (not to mention thrift-shop shoes or underwear, yechhhhh).

Phobias are strange things.