Be prepared — I bet the California economy is going to take a dive

Whenever a government agency gets lots and lots of power, businesses get strangled and a State loses its tax base. Certainly California has been an excellent example of this trend, as California businesses have fallen and failed under ever increasing government oversight from government offices staffed with people hostile to business and individual enterprise (something I’ve blogged about here and here*). So it was with great trepidation that I read the following about a topic that I’d managed to ignore with some success over the last few days:

The agreement between Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Democratic legislators to cap greenhouse gas emissions will give a state agency with a history of shaping national environmental policy tremendous new clout over the California economy.

A 46-31 vote in the Assembly on Thursday sent sweeping global warming legislation to Schwarzenegger’s desk, and he has promised to sign the bill that calls for the 11-member California Air Resources Board to become the key player in the state’s ambitious effort to curb carbon emissions. The board has a monumental task as it enters a years-long process of developing both regulations and market-based schemes that could affect everything from forest management to the price of gas.

All I can say as a California resident is “oy vey.” You know that there’s going to be more and more government control over anything businesses can do, right down to dictates controlling how often a small business owner can open his office windows.

I’m also disgusted with Schwarzenegger for caving on something that will almost inevitably have a disastrous effect on the economy. The only reason I’ll vote for him in the next election is because the Democratic candidate, Phil Angelides, is even worse. This is not a case of “the perfect is the enemy of the good.” It is a case of desperately searching for the lesser of two evils.

__________________________________

*By the way, I did not write either of those two posts as a single long paragraph.  I suspect that, because they’re old, Blogger, in order to save space, compresses them.

Comments

Have I mentioned lately how thrilled I am to be living in Tennessee?

As a second generation San Franciso-born California native, it is far less painful to watch the decline into implosion from across the country than it would be to live through it up close and personal.

WHAT is the matter with folks out there, anyhow? Is it something in the water…..? It makes me sad; it makes me crazy; it tears my heart out…….

I have a suspicion that prop 87 (a tax on oil companies drilling in CA) will also prove to be destructive to the CA economy if it passes. I’m betting that the oil companies are clever enough to find a way to raise prices at the pump to cover their costs of the new tax even though the prop specifically prohibits it (and you’re already paying approximately $0.50/gal more than I am here in PA.)

Hi Book – have you thought about transplanting to Reno? I suspect that California’s loss will continue to be Nevada’s gain (and Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona…).

Ah, but if she moved, she wouldn’t necessarily be able to offer outpourings from a conservative living in a liberal outpost (unless perhaps she moved to MA.) The whole basis for the Bookwormroom (not to mention the space-time continuum or even the delicate balance between yin and yang) may be disasterously altered! The horror, the horror.

5. zhombre says

My thoughts exactly, Danny. Middle class people have been fleeing California for years, replaced in numbers by illegals from Latin America (correct me if I’m wrong, Book; you live there and I reside in Florida). The future of California may be as the most environmentally-friendly banana republic on the face of the earth.

Kevin is right, Book. What was I thinking? Your anthropological peregrinations among the natives of the Tiburon /Bay area are far-too valuable contributions to the historical record and as a warning to future generations. Your on-the-site observations may do for California what Edward Gibbons did for the history of Rome. First things, first, however: are there any missionary schools to which you can send your kids, so that they get a decent education? We still have pretty good schools to be found here in the heartland. They actually recite the pledge of allegiance in those schools…unapologetically.

7. zhombre says

Is not the California legislature also putting forth a measure that would award all the state’s electoral college votes to the winner of the national popular vote — unless, of course, the winner of the popular vote was a Republican who won the votes by fraud, subterfuge and manipulation of the vote in complicity with Diebolt.

But they are the same thing.

I got my reply to Earl, in the works, as I had to discontinue working on it last night.

California just has too much money. The ports, the huge population, Hollywood, it’s like a boondogle. So much money, it is starting to entice thegovernment into taking a slice.