Marines prove themselves again

I was in San Francisco today on business, and chanced to glance at a new local paper, “The San Francisco Daily” — or at least I think that’s what it is called. Sadly, I didn’t take a copy home with me, because it had a story I can find anywhere else.

What I read is that the San Francisco Police Chief is holding a special ceremony to honor ten Marines. It seems that earlier this week, while they were on shore during Fleet Week, they chanced to see a woman leaping of a pier in an attempted suicide. The Marines formed a human chain, with a couple hanging on to the rotten pier, and reached out into the frigid Bay to rescue her. They then took care of her until an ambulance was able to come. It’s a wonderful story about a group of young people who have been trained to serve, and who had the wits and skill to act quickly in an emergency situation.

I wonder, though, why I’m not finding any link to the story online. I admit that I read the story quickly, and it’s entirely possible that this rescue occurred during last year’s, not this year’s, Fleet Week. However, I came away with the strong impression that these Marines rescued the gal last week and are being honored immediately, before they ship out. Do any of you have more information about this story?

UPDATE: Thanks to Patricia’s comment, I can give you the actual story, which never made the newspaper, but was buried in some sort of San Francisco Chronicle related blog:

On October 2, 2006 at 10 PM, a 36 year old woman jumped into San Francisco Bay near Pier 19. A group of 11 US Marines who are in town for Fleet Week, hailing from 29 Palms, California and Yuma, Arizona, saw the incident and leapt into action. The 11 Marines formed a human chain using their belts to reach the woman flailing in the water. They managed to secure the woman and brought her back to dry land at risk to themselves as they dangled from the rotting pier. The rescued woman was transported by ambulance for a psych emergency hold at SF General Hospital. The unassuming Marines went about their evening after a job well done.

The Marines Are: WO Szewlzyk J.R., SSgt. Hague J.R., SSgt. Gomez-Gonzales D., Sgt. Bernard A.A., Cpl. Bridges J.E., Cpl. Saucedo R., LCpl. Brunch R.C., LCpl. Johnson J.G., LCpl. Cassio Rojo A., LCpl. Vo H.J., Pfc. Crymes N.A.

You go, guys! (And, perhaps, gals!)

Comments

1. mamapajamas says

Sorry, BW…I haven’t been able to find this story. I sounds like one that is worth putting on the front page of every paper in the country, though!

God bless them! :)

Just look at this list from a quick google search.

It’s all about the state of purity, and not the O.

That blog post kind of explains why US Marines are less anti-American than newspapers in America or even in other parts of the world. (Especially other parts of the world)

Some highlights to whet your appetite.

Again, he finds no fault with the bigoted premise, just the poster’s grammar and usage earns it a poor rating of -2. He also reveals another bigoted prejudice about Americans, the myth that we get no edjicashun.

And, by the way, where do these clowns get the idea that the Queen of the United Kingdom owns the English language? How can a language be someone’s private property? But, what can you expect from people who say they’re “free” and “democratic” in one breath and that they are “subjects” of a “monarch” in the next? People who say that all are equal in one breath but that some are “noble” in the next? Obviously words are just so much flatus to Brits.

and

Now you can do anything to them and not be criticized for it. You can be flagitiously cruel without anyone protesting your callous brutality.

Why? Because by dehumanizing the image of the target person or group, you plant the idea in the heads of the cattlish masses that the people your are persecuting are not human beings with human sensibilities. That is, you objectify them. People now get to pretend that those they’re persecuting are but objects with no human person inside that has feelings.

That’s just a way to rationalize refusing to have any empathy for those they persecute — no more empathy than they have for a nail they are pounding with a hammer.

You see this total lack of empathy in the shockingly callous anti-American remarks made by Europeans, Canadians and Australians every day. It’s a very bad sign. It’s a warning sign as it was in Europe before the Holocaust. It means that this bigotry is extremely dangerous.

This time WE are its target (right along with the Jews). Indeed, even 9/11 evoked but a hollow and momentary show of human feeling for us as human beings deserving human treatment.

…a momentary show of sympathy immediately followed (within days) by the callous mockery of a Job’s Comforters act to get a step up on us when we were down.

The best analysis of human behavior, as I see it, comes from those who understand human nature, and the human soul. Psychology helps as well, if not almost required.

That is why people like Neo Neocon may pierce the veil of human propaganda to see with eyes unclouded, what the rest of us ignorant blokes have trouble finding out. Their weapons are razor sharp, flexible, and almost unbreakable.

As with martial arts, if you don’t know the basics, you may not advance to any higher understanding. Without a strong foundation, no building nor skyscraper may stand.

The more I read from people with different, yet basically correct perspectives, the better my own analysis of human affairs become. As with learning chess, the better opponents you play and the more variety of stratagems you encounter and lose to, the more experienced you will become as a player.

This is not a pure pursuit for knowledge, however. I pursue this knowledge because it allows me to see how to destroy my enemies, where others flounder in the dark. Understand your enemy enough, and you will see all of his weaknesses. That which will harm him the most, and inflict the cruelest of pain.

5. Ymarsakar says

See, it isn’t just me doing the rank details, Bookworm ; )

With the internet, we are no longer restricted to our personal limitations in how many logical steps we may calculate in series or in a row. All the variables, facts, and conclusions may be provided entirely or just partially, by the readers of a blog. Synthezizing good stuff.

Not only can Bookworm get her son to calculate the rank details for her, but she can rely upon others to find stuff she may not be able to, and then she may even rely upon the stuff she has been given to supplement her repertoire of descriptions.

With such parallelism, it is no wonder that the one eyed, one handed, and one legged Main Stream Malediction is unable to compete. While we’re running with dual cores and two hands, with stereoscopic vision, the MSM is running one a single core, with one hand, and only one eye to use to perceive depth.

Now if that eye of the MSM was a Sauron like omniscient glare, instead of the Sickening Mass that they are, the MSM might in fact be able to trump the blogosphere.

6. lCpl. Cossio Rojo says

well I was one of the marines their , and i want to thank that comment “The newspapers might be excused for such a lapse of judgement, but for putting a story that has “pro-life” connotations? They shall surely burn in hell fire if ever they attempt to put the military along a pro-life action, together in one positive story.

As far as the newspapers are concerned, the military is there to do the dieing and the killing, nothing else.”

maybe you shouldnt judge people that you dont no because than your worst than us “killers” because I wont judge you because I dont Know you but every man Is entitled to his own opinion

There’s no need for that Lance Corporal. I’m a fan of the Marine Corps, and unlike the media, I prefer having killers in a war over having the media in a war. If I was choosing allies anyway.

I say it is the newspapers that do not care for the military, it is not my position in the least least.