Sportsmanship

I know I’m neither the first to notice or comment, but I still feel compelled to point out that, when Dems lose an election, they claim Republicans cheated.  When Republicans lose an election, they immediately try to figure out how to do better next time.  It’s a very different mindset.

Comments

When the Republicans lose, the Democrats say that they won’t emulate the Republican example of refusing to work with Democrats. Reid has a lot of gall to say that, after what his party has done, not just to America, but to political appointees like Bolton. So when Democrats lose, Republicans are the ones that won’t work with Democrats. When the Democrats win, if they don’t get what they want, it is still the Republicans that won’t work with the Democrats. As with the Foley thing, the reality isn’t exactly consistent with the propaganda points.

2. Marguerite says

That’s because the Republican party is the party of grown-ups. I note that Nancy Pelosi (in the party of children) denys we are in a nasty old war – rather, we are in a ‘situation’. Once again, dems don’t look at the world the way it IS, but the way they want it to be. Dangerous in a dangerous world.

Although I’m sorry the R’s lost, there’s a lot of me that says that they didn’t deserve to win because they got gutless and betrayed the conservative cause – and I’m a conservative philosophically before a Republican politically.

3. Turkeyhead says

I’d say both of you are exactly right. I count myself as a conservative first, republican second, and I think the republicans lost this election for themselves by not sticking to the conservative views that got them elected in the first place.

I’m also sad they lost because I’m a bit afraid for my (prospective) retirement, which kind of depends on the economy. If I have to delay, it’s several more years across the country from my granddaughter, and THAT will make me extremely cross….grizzly bear cross, baby!

However, with Marguerite and T-head, I have to say they got no worse than they deserved. Mike Pence may not be the right guy for the leadership, but his speech diagnosed the problem pretty accurately.

Would someone comment on the way the Pres handled the Rummy thing….? Does anyone else have the ugly feeling of being lied to for political reasons, here? I mean, the more that comes out, the more it seems this was in the works for weeks or longer…..so why wait, meanwhile lying to the nation? To look tough? So as not to appear “weak” before the election? To…..what?

This is the first time I’ve felt the Pres has been dishonest. People who critiqued him for his cooperation with Kennedy, his spending, etc. simply didn’t listen to his campaign rhetoric – he was never really a conservative, and didn’t claim to be one. But he said flatly that Rumsfeld would serve out the whole two years and he knew flatly that that wasn’t going to happen. He didn’t have to lie like that…..I have less respect for George W. Bush than I used to – it’s not a nice feeling.

5. Eli says

I was impressed with Allen’s comment that he respected the decision of the people of Virginia.

Honorable men/women behave honorably. Those who would cheat themselves, generally accuse others of cheating. Interesting that there has been NO talk of election fraud this time around. “I win, or else, you cheated?” (the toddler mantra).

We need to keep our head in the game that matters, focused on the best interests of Americans and to some extent, the world. Honor sometimes doesn’t pay off in the short run, but it usually does in the long run, especially if we try to be smarter and more creative.

Go read Neo’s recent post about the subject, Earl. Links’s on the side bar here or in google.

Btw, you have it 180 degrees inverted. When Bush has a conflict between his principles and between telling the truth to the press, the former wins out over the latter, especially given his recent experiences in office.

To Sum up Bush’s position on Rummy, he didn’t tell the press anything because he hates leaks, and because he didn’t want to give the impression to the troops that Bush is going to dump anyone and anything in order to get political points in a war that he is leading and in which soldiers are dieing in.

I would add that Rummy probably had better things to do with his life than to stick around as the Dems tie him to the ground in strings before offering him up for sacrifice to their God of Retribution.

Rummy already tried to resign, but BUsh wouldn’t accept it. Everyone wanted Rummy out, and Rummy himself wanted out of the rat maze as well. Now’s a good time for a change, although the change isn’t necessarily going to be better.