Simple patriotism

Mr. Bookworm cannot stand the fluff pieces that are an integral part of Olympic coverage.  On Saturday night, therefore, when NBC switched from Michael Phelp’s history breaking gold medal to an interview with Kobe Bryant, Mr. Bookworm immediately switched off the television.  I’m now quite sorry he did.  Kobe may be a multi-million dollar celebrity, but it turns out he’s also a good, old-fashioned patriot:

Collinsworth [from NBC]: Tell the story when you first got your USA uniform.

Kobe: Well I had goosebumps and I actually just looked at it for awhile. I just held it there and I laid it across my bed and I just stared at it for a few minutes; just because as a kid growing up this is the ultimate, ultimate in basketball.

Collinsworth: Where does the patriotism come from inside of you? Historically, what is it?

Kobe: Well, you know it’s just our country, it’s… we believe is the greatest country in the world. It has given us so many great opportunities, and it’s just a sense of pride that you have; that you say “You know what? Our country is the best!”

Collinsworth: Is that a ‘cool’ thing to say, in this day and age? That you love your country, and that you’re fighting for the red, white and blue? It seems sort of like a day gone by(?)

Kobe: No, it’s a cool thing for me to say. I feel great about it, and I’m not ashamed to say it. I mean, this is a tremendous honor.

Is it only me or does Collinsworth come across like a complete ass?  He reminds me of a teenager trying to embarrass someone into backing off of an opinion by warning him he won’t be seen as “cool” (and this is entirely separate from the fact that Collinsworth himself apparently thinks that it’s beneath him to love his country).

Kobe, fortunately, had a more sense than the overpaid NBC talking head.  This is a great country and it does offer amazing opportunities.  I mean, heck, in what other place or time do you become a beloved multi-millionaire for tossing a ball into a hoop?  Kobe’s right that it’s completely cool (and honorable) to express gratitude to a nation that makes these opportunities possible, that it’s immature and ungrateful to try to intimidate someone into backing off from that kind of honorable sense of appreciation and patriotism.

Comments

1. jlibson says

No no no.

Everyone seems to be misinterpreting Collinsworth.

I believe that it was a “softball” comment made in order to set the stage for Bryant to make a stronger statement about his patriotism.

I’ve seen Collinsworth quite a bit. The odds that he would make a controversial comment are very small. The odds that he would try to embellish the image of a sports celebrity are rather large.

Remember…the TV sports guys and the print “news”/politics/op-ed guys both work for the MSM, but they aren’t really the same sort.

2. Ymarsakar says

It’s sad that they no longer teach the philosophical premises and critical thinking required to answer the question of “what is patriotism and where does it come from”. It is quite obvious to philosophers, well some philosophers, that patriotism is a derivation of love, filial love at that.

You die for your nation and you kill for your nation, for you would do the same for a loved one, family or spouse.

The fundamental reasons why those things are linked and derived, are from the lessons of history and critical thinking. Collinsworth has no critical thinking, so he cannot answer his own question and can only see patriotism as part of a bygone era.

Filial love, Book, will never be part of a “bygone era”, unless the Left succedes in genetically re-programming human nature, that is.

jlibson’s take on the Collinsworth interview is the first I’ve seen with this particular interpretation….that doesn’t mean it’s “wrong”, but when “everyone is out of step but Johnny”, the rest of us watching can perhaps be forgiven for our skepticism…..

Full disclosure: I have watched NO Olympic coverage (no TV) and so have no first-hand knowledge of what went on during that interview.

4. Seawarrior07 says

The most important thing to remember is how Kobe Bryant answered the question. To date I can not think of a single celebrity that has said they are proud of their country.
    We now have politicians and politicians wives that do not love their country until it is politically important to say so.
    Thanks Kobe for being a standup guy!

Awesome moment for Kobe! Collingsworth has had several other difficult moments as “World Commentator”.

Here’s another absolutely wild one – not related to the Olympics. Avi Lewis, who started in the Canadian media and has a history of wild moonbattery – has moved to the English Al-Jazeera channel, and he just conducted an interview with John Bolton. The questions, the smirking, the outrageousness of the interview!

John Bolton took each outrageous pitch calmly and smacked each one into the bleachers. For John Bolton, a shining, magnificent moment.

Watch the entire interview if you have time, and if you’re not on blood pressure meds. (Your blood pressure will skyrocket, and by the time the interview ends with the smarmy, smirking host saying “Thank you for nit-picking with me”… you may have to clean the ceiling from your head just blowing up.)

6. suek says

>>Watch the entire interview if you have time,>>

I might have to get the sound problem solved for this one! I like Bolton.

Totally off topic, Nat Geo on Sunday showed a full hour of “Battle at Kuger” based on an 8 minute non-professional video shot by a tourist. It’s remarkable. If you have 8 minutes to waste – no politics, just animal vs animal – it’s definitely worth watching. There are probably some lessons to be learned, but it’s just one of those natural incidents that humans don’t get a chance to observe very often. Part of the hour that Nat Geo spent on it was interviewing professional wildlife videographers who were green with envy that they couldn’t have been the ones at the right place at the right time!

Look for Battle at Kruger on Youtube…I forgot to mention.

I agree with suek, if you haven’t seen it, The Battle At Kruger is already a modern classic on the Web. (Hand-held amateur camera, right place right time, posted to the Web…) Thanks for pointing it out!

The link I found is: