Setting the bar to a new low *UPDATED*

Do you get the feeling that a lot of Democrats, having watched the first debate, are saying that their man is qualified to be in the White House merely because he managed not too drool all over himself and say anything too stupid?  That is, they’re acknowledging that, substantively, McCain was much better, but they’re willing to set the bar so low that it’s good enough that their candidate isn’t an idiot.  Scary days, my friends.

UPDATE:  I have more thoughts about the debate here, at my alternative blogging venue (on Saturdays), McCain-Palin 2008.

Comments

Hello Everyone,

The main issue for me is people need to realize, Mccain and Obama, are both facing extraordinary times. Whoever takes over in Jan 09. Economy and Iraq.
    Thanks to Dubya, America is going through a shift in ideology. The GOP knows how to win elections better than any one else. But the Dems don’t yet to know how to get aggressive. I feel that Obama like, Kerry and Gore – will go down as “what could have been”. If McCain wins in Nov, I am sure he can be a great president as he has amazing experience, but the Hockey Mom is the worst decision he has made in his life.

Thanks
    Pooja.Brahmi.Mazumder.

loveparadise:
    Thanks to Dubya, America is going through a shift in ideology.

lp, which ideological shift are you referring to? There are several. The most influential one has been GW Bush’s big government conservatism… is that the one you’re talking about? Or perhaps “compassionate conservatism”? I’m not sure which one you mean.

I’d like to know, then I can relate it to your point about Sarah Palin. How her experience and philosophy – and yes, she has both – relates to your specific Bush ideology might lead to an interesting discussion here.

3. Ymarsakar says

My views on Sarah aren’t derived from deduction, so they are not easily spelled out. At least, the process isn’t easily spelled out.

My views come from inductive logic, which is first absorbing details of Sarah and then coming up with a hypothesis that fits such details. This is different from people who labeled Obama a messiah and then went to the trouble of finding all the facts and arguments to support that hypothesis; it isn’t deductive or inductive logic.

A couple of notable factors are that Sarah is the Governor of Alaska and all that that means. Then there is the fact that she has a strong husband who is willing and able to take a subordinate role. Statecraft starts in the bedroom, one may say, for if you have social disharmony at home, you sure as hell ain’t going to get foreign negotiations done on your advantage. Then there’s the immediate recognition by the Left that Sarah is an enemy that must be obliterated as quick as possible. The hatred was directed towards her, not McCain. Then there’s the fact that she hunts added to the fact that the codes of chivalry provides for her a loyal cadre of followers by turning sexual attraction to fealty oaths. That kind of stuff exists: it has always existed when men could swear oaths to women or their nation due to focusing love of family and wife towards love of your leader and nation. It is not always romantic love, but it is kind of hard to tell the difference. Book has already written about how a good society channels men’s aggression into providing for their family, fair competition, and productive acts.

I take all these factors and then I grab an insight from all of em.

The deductive logic chain is pretty simple in comparison. I wanted a VP, before McCain’s pick was known, that would stack the bodies of our enemies up like cord wood. And I believe she is it. It’s that simple. She can actually use negotiation and diplomacy as it was designed to be used. She can actually take on and beat entrenched occupations. A guerrilla fighter has to fight smart rather than rely on brute strength.

There’s also the fact that I love blogs like Neo-Neocon, Villainous Company, and Bookworm, who just happens to have women as their authors.

Thanks, Y

> Then there’s the immediate recognition by the Left that Sarah is an enemy that must be obliterated as quick as possible.

It is telling that the worst of the abuse came from the most committed of feminists, champions of rights for all women across the world.

She’s about as green as Obama, but she practically glows with authenticity. Obama, on the other hand, is as slick and sly as they come. And when his mask occasionally slips – “Hey, I have a bracelet, too”, you get the briefest of glimpses of what lies behind the facade.

If Obama is 100% sly facade and 100% Made In Indonesia, Sarah’s 100% authentic and 100% American. The current crisis, with its clear links to corruption, is ready made for her. If they let her take the gloves off and speak directly to the American people, with passion, at the debate, that is.

No matter how this particular election turns out, she’ll be fine. She’s got a future for sure.

5. Ymarsakar says

I made that remark at Villainous Company a few days before the pick was announced, and I didn’t believe that it could happen. It was a sort of off the cuff joke on the corruption of Washington and the political processed, aided and a bedded by corrupt political actors: like Reid.

When Sarah’s name was announced, all I knew about her was that she was attractive and that she was Governor of Alaska. I did not know that being Governor of Alaska meant being in charge of the National Guard missile defense aimed at securing Alaska, and thus American soil, against Russian nukes and air threats. Those two things were not enough to classify under my requirements, you see.

Compare this with Democrats who wanted a savior and political god, and the moment they saw somebody black and with a nice sounding voice, they hooked unto it. They didn’t need to know any more about Obama. He was it for them, period.

6. Ymarsakar says

Those would be the people protesting Bush in 2002 that Bush was getting us in a quagmire in Afghanistan.

The Democrat party leadership at least were smart enough to shut up about criticisms concerning Afghanistan, except indirectly phrased as criticism over Iraq.

7. Ymarsakar says

All th women living under Taliban religious extremism? All, to heck with em. Beating Bush’s War matters more.

8. Ymarsakar says

There was a rehash on the topic of Iraq pre-invasion, during invasion, and post invasion that I wrote more than one piece of analysis on.

Link

Considering the amount of partisan bias and purposeful obfuscation that people have come to believe was a “debate” about the Iraq war, you might find the sentiments on that thread more interesting and objective.

Mike

America has changed in the last 8 years. An ideology of conservatism, working towards democracy in the middle east and being a champion for middle America values. History will show us that he was right. It takes courage and conviction. When the Hockey Mom came online, the left made a blunder by attacking her. It gave her the chance on the women vote.
    But to think that come Jan 09, she is ready to be commander-in-chief, that I think is crazy. McCain should have won in 2000, we all remember what happened. He is a maverick, he will lead the legacy to a new level. He has agreed with Dubya 95% of the time. I think if it is was a simple average white guy running against McCain, it would have been difficult. But Obama cannot win California, Pennsylvania and Florida. They angered Florida by not counting their votes. This was their best chance and they have blown it. The polls show it.

Hi loveparadiseforyou (#13)

I tend to agree with you, and my reasoning is long-term rather than short-term. Support for democracy leads to Hamas controlling the Gaza strip. Short-term that is a complete disaster for our interests. Longer-term, it is very revealing about the nature of the Palestinians. Also, no one can say for sure how the Palestinians will react to Hamas failure – again, in the long run.

He [McCain] is a maverick, he will lead the legacy to a new level.
    Are you saying that he will follow Bush’s lead, and take Bush’s legacy to a new level? I see President Bush as a huge-government conservative, and McCain as a small government conservative. I don’t see a whole of agreement between them, myself.

He [McCain] has agreed with Dubya 95% of the time.

The number I keep hearing is 90%. But I believe the vast majority of legislative agreements are small-ball stuff. That makes the 10% disagreements much larger when you consider that they’re all likely on important issues. Proportionally, that 10% disagreement may be a very big deal.

Note that Obama voted with his leadership 97% of the time. Not at all a bipartisanship record, and proportionally far, far worse than McCain’s bipartisanship. Yep, yet another Obama failure – at least if you believe his own claims to be bipartisan, if you believe he ever intended to be bipartisan.

But Obama cannot win California, Pennsylvania and Florida.

It’s very difficult for me to see McCain taking California. As to Pennsylvania and Florida, they’re both tight. I disregard the polls right now. A lot can change between now and election day. Actually I am pessimistic, because during economic crises, the President’s party gets the blame. Also, after a two-term presidency, it’s very difficult for that party to retain the presidency. Were McCain to win, this year would be an astonishing exception to the usual rules.