Is it hard to be this stupid? *UPDATED*

A local Marin woman hitched a ride with a peace group to stay with some Palestinians, and came back filled with useful information.  Anna Rogers found “shocking . . . how much Arab land has been taken over and how crazily restrictive it is for the Palestinians.”  That’s an interesting thing to say, of course, since in the last few years, Israel has been giving land back to the Palestinians.  So considering that this is apparently her first trip to the Middle East, when she refers to being shocked at “how much Arab land has been taken over” she must mean “since the creation of Israel.” Or, in other words — Israelis should just get the Hell out of there.

As for the crazy restrictions, Rogers also thought it was so, so unfair that these poor Palestinians couldn’t move around freely.  The article in which she is interviewed helpfully advises that there’s some kind rumor about these same Palestinians killing Israelis:  “The Israeli government has said it established checkpoints to protect settlements from suicide bombers and other attackers.”  (In a sane journalistic world, rather than attributing this statement to the Israeli government, as if it’s factually suspect, the reporter might actually have pointed out that it is in fact true that a huge number of Palestinians, trained from the cradle, are determined to kill Israeli civilians.)

Ms. Rogers is having none of this stupid Israeli government propaganda.  She’s seen what’s going on in Israel with her own eyes, and assures us that it’s nothing to worry about:

Rogers said she visited a kibbutz near where rockets from Gaza are landing. She said the rockets are crude and usually miss their targets.

“They’re an annoyance,” Rogers said. “I think a lot of people were annoyed with Israel’s government for not making some kind of peace agreement with Gaza even though Hamas is there.”

Although I’m not thrilled about the reporter’s passive approach to the reason behind the Israeli checkpoints (see my comments, above), he gets full kudos for providing an opposing point of view.  Thus, at the end of the article, a spokesman for a local Jewish group provides an intelligent counterpoint to Ms. Rogers’ insane blatherings:

But Michael Harris of San Rafael, one of the leaders of San Francisco Voice for Israel, a local advocacy group, said the situation constitutes more than “an annoyance.”

“I don’t think the residents of Larkspur would consider it a nuisance if 20 rockets a day were launched from Corte Madera into Larkspur. [The two communities are side by side.]  Bad aim does not excuse that these rockets are designed for one purpose and one purpose only: to murder civilians.”

Harris noted that “Gaza is ruled by Hamas, which took over in a coup and has stated on multiple occasions that it has no interest whatsoever in peace with Israel. Its entire existence is predicated on the destruction of Israel.”

I find it impossible to come up with any excuse for Ms. Rogers’ attitude, which is that Israelis should just stand aside and let themselves be killed so that those nice Palestinians can . . . well, kill some more.  What’s even more insane about her view is that, while in Gaza, she stayed with a Christian family, and yet somehow managed to remain entirely unaware of the horrors Muslim Gazans visit on their Christian compatriots.  This is a lady whose head is firmly fixed in an ideological bubble, and she’s doing her best to spread her ignorance.

UPDATE:  A few more of those “nuisances” rained down on Israel last night:

Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip bombarded southern Israel with dozens of mortars and rockets on Wednesday, sowing panic and despair there and burdening diplomatic efforts to revive an expired truce.

Ironically, while no Israelis were injured, those poor “militants” suffered some Ayers-ian accidents:

No Israelis were injured in the barrages. The attacks took a steeper toll in Gaza as explosives apparently misfired, wounding three civilians and killing two militants. One of the injured civilians works for a conflict resolution center.

Comments

1. 1Lulu says

What was the “peace group” she stayed with? Somehow I suspect it was the International Solidarity Movement. Was it? If so, this is a group the media has long dubbed a “peace group” when in fact it is a Palestinian advocacy group. They are the group that stayed in Arafat’s compound and with terrorists in the Church of the Nativity during the last intifada, and they are the group that nurtured Rachel Corrie. So, in fact, they are a “peace group” that condones the use of terrorism against Israelis. In other words, in our bizarro left world this qualifies as “peace”.

If Ms. Rogers were raped by a gang of rampaging “Swedish Youth”, she would undoubtedly blame herself for giving them the “wrong signals”. One must never blame Muslim transgressors, nor assign them any responsibility for their actions. Not when there are evil Jews around to blame! Somehow, surely, the Jews can be blamed for the rioting in Sweden!

Our Media: OK, we’re having significant difficulty blaming the Jews for the rioting in Sweden. Since we can’t find a way to blame the Jews, we’ll just pretend the rioting isn’t happening at all.

3. Ymarsakar says

Rogers is a useful idiot. When they finish with her, they’ll put her up against a wall and the expression on her face will be worth galaxies.

Ms. Rogers likes seeing people killed. She gets high off of that. Unfortunately for her, her need to see people killed is eclipsed by two factions. The faction that I belong to and the faction the Palestinians belong to.

4. Zhombre says

Yes, Anna, the rockets are merely annoying. And the Iranians working toward nuclear missiles is just sort of a prank. Not to worry. Forget 1967, the ME situation will be resolved when Israel retracts to its pre 1947 borders.

Ms. Rogers suffers from Political Alzheimers Disease.
    She is no longer capable of making rational observations, process information and respond appropriately.

6. pst314 says

“I don’t think the residents of Larkspur would consider it a nuisance if 20 rockets a day were launched from Corte Madera into Larkspur.”

Heh.

Most of these morons are pacifists only because they are protected by others. If they were forced to deal with the ugly realities of life they would soon change their opinions. But people like Rogers would probably continue to advocate pacifism to Jews who face enemies who wish to exterminate them. That is the way of the modern progressive.

Remember that scene in “Independence Day” where all those idiots are on top of a building waving welcome signs to the space ship that is about to obliterate them?

8. Tiresias says

The answer to your title question is: No – it’s easy to be that stupid.

In fact, in a country that just elected Barack Obama to anything at all, it’s probably an unfair question.

I’m beginning to see now how Israel could aggress against the Palestinians without drawing leftist ire:

Would that be darling, or what?

PS: It was very kind of Book to say that this old fool’s head “is firmly fixed in an ideological bubble.”

Me, I would have looked elsewhere for the location of her head’s implantation.

Charles #12
    >> Have Israeli school kids create crude, unspohisticated rockets in their science classes and — ooops! — launch 20 or 30 daily into Palestinian neighborhoods. The have other kids with megaphones yell over the border fence, “Sorry for the minor annoyance!” >>

Only the Israeli kids that failed science class, Charles. We wouldn’t want anyone saying those Israeli kids had an unfair advantage.

SADIE:

The science fiction writer Robert Heinlein once observed, “Man is not a rational anmal, he is a rationalizing animal.” It’s obvious to me he said that after an encounter with a leftist.

Charles Martel:

And no doubt they will blame the Israelis for the misfiring. In the world of absurd thinking (the Hamas thought process)..’we might not always be right, but we’re never wrong’, they have once again killed their own.

14. Ymarsakar says

Yes, Sadie. If the Israelis had not taken the Palestinian land, then the Philistines would never have had to kill anybody.

Root causes, Sadie, always remember the root causes.

15. Ymarsakar says

Since Hamas and Hizbollah have officially recognized that the lives of two Israeli soldiers weigh about as much as the lives of 1,000 + Palestinian prisoners, Sadie, I believe that they will say that 2 Palestinian children are a worthy sacrifice to make if there is even an attempt to kill Israelis that results from their deaths.

That is the calculus of terrorism, but it isn’t so much different to socialism in the end. After all, the environmental movement says that the rights of animals trumps the rights of humans. Far as I know, there aren’t 7 billion cows on this planet. If there were, we’d know by now. But given that the life of a cow is worth 1,000 human lives, Sadie, certainly sacrifices must be made.

It is the same mentality because it is the same spirit and the same ethics (or lack of it).

God made me a carnivore. It’s just like being left-handed and I can’t help myself. But I also know that many people look down on me for it and wish that I wouldn’t shove my meat eating down their throats (metaphorically speaking).

Since the life of a cow is worth 1,000 human lives, I am willing to make the following bargain with the radical environmental movement:

– I will continue to eat meat, beef especially, probably to the tune of 25 or 30 more complete beeves before I die.

– To atone for this waste of bovinity, I shall upon my death provide a list of 25,000 Democrats, pacificsts and progressives to Earth First! I will posthumously offer them as sacrifical atonement for my evil eating habits.

I will place Anna Rogers’s name on the list because I know that she has already assented to the idea that some lives are just plain worth more than others.

>> For the Anna Rogers of the world what we have here is a clear case of an annoying prank (killing Jew kids) suddenly morphing into a major tragedy: the loss of two beloved Palestinian children as their parents struggle to throw off the yoke of Israeli tyranny. >>

Are the Palestinians really viewing this as a tragedy? They’d managed to convince me that martyrdom was an acceptable price to pay for the struggle against the evil Israelis and the evil Americans; that no Muslim death would be a tragedy in the cause. I thought they celebrated all such deaths.

If children die, do they still visit the land of milk and honey, and more importantly, what exactly is their involvement with the 22 virgins? I’m wondering what the religious experts say. Perhaps if you haven’t reached puberty, you can’t be a martyr.

I suppose this is just my own, personal, disconnect from reality. I’ll work on it. But I am confused. Even the female suicide bombers are elevated, and considered martyrs whose deaths are celebrated, and I’m not really aware of their status vis a vis 22 male virgins, either.

But woe be unto me should I declare Islam outrageously paternalistic! Feminists have been going out of their way to avoid criticizing jihadist Islam. I wouldn’t want to upset the feminist applecart.

One last comment, apologies.

I seem to remember Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, exalted mayor of Tehran, and oh yes, supreme leader of Iran and personal confidant of the 12th imam, declaring the true nature of reality: That after Iran nukes Israel, and Israel responds with the nuclear obliteration of Tehran, that all Tehranites would be considered martyrs.

But wouldn’t THAT include children living in Tehran? And babies still in hospitals? Even babies being birthed? Let alone those still in the womb.

So indeed it would seem, children are martyrs in fact. Yet the two Palestinian children, struck by Hamas bombs, are not martys, since their deaths are being regretted – strike that – being blamed on the evil Israel. No hint of martyrdom there.

Well, now I am REALLY confused. Feminists and gay activists refuse to denounce Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (exalted mayor of Tehran, and oh yes, supreme leader of Iran and personal confidant of the 12th imam), for his deeply anti-feminist and anti-gay views, so they must also then accept his idea of martyrdom for all the children of Tehran… and yet, these two children are not martyrs. Please, someone, help me. Explain this.

Inquiring minds would LOVE to know. And to discern the liberal mindset, too.

SueK, that’s what I get for posting at 4:30 am after six hours of writing Perl scripts to support a software deployment!

As Leona Campbell, the cantankerous old (truth-telling) woman on Mad-TV would say, “Oh my goodness! 72? That’s a lot of virgins!”

All the time I was growing up my sainted mother told me, “Stay away from cheap girls.”

So I did, figuring that I didn’t want to endanger my immortal soul.

The I learned recently that the Muslim god, Allah, says you get to walk around perpetually randy in his heaven. And the wymyn aren’t only cheap, they’re plentiful.

So, I’ll be off this board for a few hours while I whip on over to Mill Valley to visit the local imam to discuss conversion.

Trixie, Mindy, Bubbles, Fatima, Brie, Afeefa, Dolly and the rest, I’m a-comin’ for ya!