Ow!

Muscle spasm in lower back, which usually means I collapse, kind of like this, only with pain attached.  Took valium.  Helped muscle spasm.  Wiped out brain.  Sitting up still painful, but do-able, but brain so defective, can’t hold on to coherent thought.  Still can’t understand why people take drugs recreationally.  This feeling really freaks me out.

Comments

I don’t know if this is an open thread or not, suek, but when I look at those two links, I think Ow! is the perfect place to put them!

Now, if only Obama and everyone else in this onrushing Statist movement would roll over and play dead! Or at least go piddle outside in the grass, instead of on the carpet.

2. Zhombre says

Sorry to hear of your back pain, Book.

Did someone say open thread? I will ‘fess up to watching Chris Mathews this Sunday morning, something I rarely do, but occasionally I tune in to MSM to remind myself why I avoid it. Chris had a panel of DC based journos — David Ignatius, Norah O’Donnell, Andrew Sullivan — listening to them the “canary in the coal mine” metaphor occurred to me. Except, though they warble, these canaries are removed from any mine shaft. They never left the comfy, insular confines of the pet shop.

You don’t like losing control or being under the aegis of a foreign power unattributable, unaccountable, and unprogrammable by you.

Others, however, prefer to live lives on a different account.

Btw, try gymnastic bridges. They should help your back out.

Hi BW,

As a person with a form of Rheumatoid Arthritis and perpetual back problems as a result I can’t believe they gave you Valium instead of a soma/vicodin mix which would make you much less foggy! Must have been pretty bad. Perhaps next time you can tell em to skip the Valium. Not that soma and hydrocodone won’t make you foggy but for me it is much less severe and short lived than the former. Of course Valium might actually make Letterman seem funny….

I hope you feel better.

- Trip

Here is an example of a gymnastic bridge. I took me a few tries before my shoulder muscles became strong enough to lift up my torso weight above a certain level to where my legs could then balance my center of gravity, but afterwards it is no problem.

You can also spinal stretches by standing in one place and then bending backwards until your head is upside down facing behind you.

Just a little bit at a time, don’t overdo it, and you’ll be good to go, Book.

The back is a muscle like any other, and when you don’t use it with proper exercise, injuries will result and so will pain. This is even more important if you do BJJ or MMA, Book. The various throws and what not will put extra strain on those muscles, which are NOT used in everyday life, not the life of a civilized individual at least.

Trip: I can’t take vicodin. It makes me sick as a dog. Valium, Motrin and heat seem to do the trick most of the time. I spent a couple of groggy hours lying down, and am feeling better now. I have to be careful because, in the past, I’ve been completely bedridden. I’m just grateful that my husband was around to get me the meds and get me to the couch.

As for the so-called experts, NPR had a debate between experts, one for, and one against the Obama plan to put every body’s records in a giant database. Except the one against wasn’t really against. He didn’t mention any concerns about privacy, rationing, sheer inefficiency, etc. He was just opposed to the procedure being discussed. So, it really wasn’t for or against the plan at all. It was for and for the plan, with one guy simply proposing a different methodology. And luck you, the taxpayer, got to pay for this “debate.”

Book #8,
    So these days, we get debates of not “For and Against”, but “For and More For”. How sad the decline. In the Soviet Union, did they even bother to present such faux debates?

Will we have a debate on gun control? “Is it better to enact universal gun control… or, to simply destroy the guns?”

Ymar’s bridge link is a very good one. I think I might even try it!

Here’s one a little more advanced.

It has “the three ways to come out of the bridge”. I especially liked the second one, from 1:00 – 1:15. I plan to try it someday when I have a little more flexibility and a paramedic around.

I don’t know why she left out the fourth way to come out of the bridge. That’s where you press your hands firmly into the carpet and then raise your torso to go into a perfect handstand, keeping your toes pointed toward the ceiling. Then push off the floor with your hands into a quadruple somersault, and land on the tip of your nose, with your arms stretched out and your legs in a 180-degree split to each side. Proper form is crucial to experience the correct invigorating effects.

9. Mike says

We bought a healthrider over a year ago. It helps to hang upside down on the fool thing but is a bit much on the ankles if you don’t wear the correct shoes.It’s adjustable all the way to 90 degrees and has hand-held grips to help you get back up. It’s best though if you have someone nearby in case of a problem getting back into an upright position. This only relieves the pressure and is not a cure. Then either a swimming pool or jacuzzi would be the next best idea.And of course some sort of warm-up exercise to keep you in shape.Also stretching exercises are another thought as mentioned already.
    After that it’s probably a good idea to take some sort of medication and bed rest if things are really bad.