Swine flu hits home — sort of *UPDATED*

Our school system is dealing with a very fluid situation, as information about the swine flu changes from minute to minute.  My sense, currently, is that it’s real, it’s out there, it’s spreading fast (as if it was November, not April) and, in the U.S., it’s not a very serious threat as compared to any other flu.  As to that last, it may be because our flu shots provide limited immunity; because we’re healthier than people in Mexico; because we have better medical care; because, being a combination of flus, we in America have already been exposed to part of it; or something else I haven’t thought of.

The school system’s current policy — today’s policy — is that any kids with any symptoms (headache, sniffles, cough, fever, vomiting) have to go home.  As you notice, the last two symptoms are significant in any event of something bad.  I don’t send a feverish or vomiting child to school.  Those middle two, though, are pretty significant right now because they’re precisely the same symptoms as your average April allergy.

My son always has sniffles from March through May.  His allergy symptoms have never been serious enough for me to medicate him.  They’re worse in the morning but, by the time he’s blown his nose and run around, they’re gone.  My laissez faire policy, however, bit me in the butt today.  The school, very politely, refuses to take my child until he’s symptom free — or until he has a note from his doctor.

He already saw the doctor early this week (“kids’ fine, no flu, maybe a slight cold and, definitely allergies”), but I didn’t get a note, because it didn’t occur to me to do so.  By today, however, the poor doctor is so overwhelmed, as is the entire system in which he works, that I can’t get a note.  Until then, I’ve stocked up on allergy meds.

As I said, the school is dealing with a fluid system, and I do believe in “better safe than sorry.”  Until we have more information about the flu’s reach and impact, the schools here are doing the right thing.  Having said that, I’ve got a sniffly, bored, and entirely healthy little boy at home, for the third day in a row, and neither of us is very happy.  I wonder how often this scenario is being played out, right now, across the U.S.  And although I’m situated so that I can manage having him home (I work at home, and am a second income, and I’m in a slow period of work anyway), I wonder how many other Moms and Dads are scrambling to deal with a healthy child at home.

UPDATE:  And the problem seems to be with Mexico, not with the flu.  That is, the flu is probably a mild one, but Mexico is unable to deal with it.

Comments

Just In……….2 p.m. E.S.T.

Members of U.S. delegation to Mexico showing Flu-like symptoms.

I also believe in the ‘better safe than sorry’ approach and I am asking that all government officials, stay home with or w/o symptoms. They seem to be making us sick with current decisions.

Awesome, SADIE!
    And in subsequent news, on release of the information that all government officials, but especially all of Congress and President Obama, would be staying home for six months and not passing any legislation, the stock market recorded a ten-thousand point leap within a half hour.

All part of the Obama manufactured crisis machine, Book, to get You and All the rest of America to nationalize healthcare so ya’ll don’t ever have to worry about these things or paying for them.

Would not be a bit surprised – “Obama manufactured crisis machine”.

As was once said, never let a crisis go to waste.

While Mexico appears to be ground zero, the real swine are in D.C.
    I think they are looking for another czar for the newly created Dept. of OMCM.

What to play, Who’s the Piggy?

4th & 5th Piggies are you and me.
    3rd Piggy goes to Nancy Pelosi & Harry Reid (split decision)
    2nd Piggy has to be Joe Biden (he’s staying out of crowded places today)
    drum roll please ………
    No. 1 Piggy is the President, he went to the market to destroy it.

This little piggy went to market.
    This little piggy stayed at home.
    This little piggy had roast beef.
    This little piggy had none.
    And this little piggy cried “Wee! Wee! Wee!” all the way home

I am sure this clever group can enhance my entries.

“Do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.” Or… if you are a pig farmer in Egypt you slaughter the pigs and WHO does a quick name change.

All of this reads like, Lipstick on a Pig to me.

GENEVA – The World Health Organization announced Thursday it will would stop using the term “swine flu” to avoid confusion over the danger posed by pigs. The policy shift came a day after Egypt began slaughtering thousands of pigs in a misguided effort to prevent swine flu.

WHO spokesman Dick Thompson said the agriculture industry and the U.N. food agency had expressed concerns that the term “swine flu” was misleading consumers and needlessly causing countries to ban pork products and order the slaughter of pigs.

“Rather than calling this swine flu … we’re going to stick with the technical scientific name H1N1 influenza A,” Thompson said.

P.S.
    Gee..you don’t think it has anything to do with the Russian ban on beef and pork products from the U.S.

6. suek says

Well…I’ve heard it called “bird/pig/man flu….

Also…”Pigs’ll fly before a black man becomes president of the US. And lo…100 days after Barack Obama became president, swine flu….!