Michelle Obama’s Princeton thesis

Michelle was only 21 or so when she wrote her Princeton thesis, so I’m certainly willing to give her a pass on a fair amount of stuff.  After all, few of us are polished people at that age.  As a college student, I wrote a lot of good stuff and a lot of garbage.  I had bad ideas, and turgid writing.  I never wrote badly, though.  Turgid or not, my writing was informed and coherent.

With that in mind, the rapturous reception Michelle received from the French, apparently in part because of her stellar intellect, left me wondering if a sustained piece of writing — following 4 years at one of the top flight American universities — hinted at her brilliance.  I’ve pulled out some bits and pieces for finger-pointing.  I’ve tried to steer away from the mistakes of youth (ponderous cant, foolish ideas), as well as the tendency, in typewriter days, to ignore anything but gross errors, and focused solely on errors that should not appear in writing from a “brilliant” woman educated at one of America’s top (or, at least, most self-satisfied) institutions:

From the Dedication:  “Thank-you for loving me and always making me feel good about myself.”  — high on the self-interest there, but that’s typical for youth, so Michelle gets a pass.  Writing “thank-you,” though, is either an embarrassing comment on Michelle’s literacy level or on what passed for teaching at Princeton.

That use of “thank-you” isn’t anomalous, by the way.  In her “Acknowledgements” (which is either a misspelling or a Britishism), Michelle says “Thank-you Professor Wallace you have made me a much better student.”  I assume she meant:  “Thank you, Professor Wallace.  You have made me a much better student.”  In this regard, Michelle’s writing is not indicative of youth.  It’s indicative of ignorance.  One wonders, therefore, what kind of a student Michelle was before Professor Wallace got his hands on her.

Here’s a cute one (p. 13) because, in an almost Freudian typo, Michelle tried two different types of punctuation, both wrong:

As a future Black alumnus [was she ignorant about the feminine "alumna"?], this study is particularly interesting because often times ["oftentimes" should be one word, but I'll admit that's a bit obscure] I take my own attitudes about such issues for granted;. never pausing to reflect upon how my experiences at Princeton may somehow have caused my attitudes to change

That “;.” should, of course, have been a comma.  And yes, I’m giving Michelle a total pass for just how silly and self-involved that sentence is, because she was young.  It’s the horrible writing that concerns me.

Michelle’s same troublesome inability to understand the difference between commas, semicolons and periods crops up again in her much quoted passage about her sense of alienation (p. 15):

I have found that at Princeton no matter how liberal and open-minded some of my White professors and classmates try to be toward me, I sometimes feel like a visitor on campus; as if I really don’t belong.  Regardless of the circumstances underwhich [sic, but I assume that's a typo] I interact with Whites at Princeton, it often seems as if, to them, I will always be Black first and a student second.

First, let’s clean up the inexcusable grammatical errors:

I have found that, at Princeton, no matter how liberal and open-minded some of my White professors and classmates try to be toward me, I sometimes feel like a visitor on campus.  It’s as if I really don’t belong.  Regardless of the circumstances underwhich [sic, but I assume that's a typo] I interact with Whites at Princeton, it often seems as if, to them, I will always be Black first and a student second.

Even if you want to give Michelle a pass because her work is typewritten — and those of us who remember typewritten theses also remember a certain willingness to ignore mistakes that were too hard to correct — the fact remains that in one sentence after another, Michelle proves herself incapable of manage managing[*] basic grammar.  (And again, I’m ignoring silly college-educated pontification.)  Look at this, from page 15:

This realization has presently, [sic] made my goals to actively utilize my resources to benefit the Black community more desirable.

I think what she’s trying to say is this, but it’s very hard to tell:

My realization that an Ivy League education separates me from the Black community, without fully integrating me into the White community, increases my desire to use the skills I’ve obtained in a White education institution for the benefit of the Black community.

I’m only on page 15 of a 225 document, and it’s apparent that I could spend days and weeks correcting her writing.  Whether the fault lies with the high-priced education she received, or with Michelle’s own intellect — well, I’m not qualified to answer.  Suffice to say, this youthful effort doesn’t impress me, whether one looks at her grasp of basic English, or her ability to understand and synthesize complex sociological information.

______________________________

*In my defense regarding the above correction, it was a manifest typo, as opposed to a failure to understand basic grammar.  You all know I’m a lousy, lazy proofreader — at least when it comes to my own work.  When it comes to other’s work, I show a certain impressive rigor.

Comments

1. SGT Dave says

BW,
    Her writing is atrocious. I’d like to think that typewritten errors are unavoidable – especially in that era – but I remember dealing with an old manual when the printers were down. If it took a day of slow typing, then it took a day of slow typing. Or, if you were at one of “those schools” you’d spend a few dollars (generally four or five a page) and have a professional type the report. No errors in those papers – if there was a mistake you’d return the page for correction, generally at no cost.
    I make my living translating and writing; it is not easy to be concise, clear, or mechanically correct. Finding the right words is a constant struggle; punctuation is a battle for clarity and form. (Yep, that is a fragment – formed for the impression of imperative sense and to deliver an argument). The inability of a PRINCETON student to write a thesis that dabbles in poor grammar, questionable word choice, and absent editing is, unfortunately, not surprising.
    I, on the other hand, never send out even a summary translation or analysis before having at least one (and often three or more) sets of eyes looking at the end product. The bad editing is not indicative of a poor intellect or faulty writing skills. It is much, much worse in that it implies intellectual laziness and the inability to convince peers or advisors to provide editing, review, and constructive criticism.
    Could it be that the despairing and condescending looks that she received were based on the knowledge that she was unable or unwilling to take constructive critiques and editing reviews? The knowledge of a teacher that the effort would be satisfactory but not exceptional? How devastating to a true believer in equality to find that race and self-perception should trump the struggle for self-improvement – and how painful for the peers who realize that someone with the capability of competing on a level field will never reach their potential because of the coddling given her based on race (that they must never acknowledge)?
    Is it not worse to realize that there could very well have been a great mind among the minorities surviving in the cities – and more importantly knowing that for lack of challenge that mind never reached its full potential? Is it possible that by coddling the minority, by never pressing them to excel, we have lost an Einstein (poor student), a Hawking (physical disability), or an Edison? Is the lack of frustration, the dearth of setbacks and failures, now to blame for the faltering of ideas, imagination, and accomplishment? If all advance together, is there any reason to strive?
    I will teach my children to dream; I will also teach them how to stand up and brush off the mud and put band-aids on the scraped knees that come from leaping for the stars. And I will love them; I will love them enough to criticise, to correct, and to guide even when they think it painfully embarrassing.

SSG Dave
    “Experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want.”

Michelle felt she was treated as an outsider at Princeton, someone not quite a student and not quite a disadvantaged “black victim”. She was caught between two worlds. She never realized that she was only accepted because of her skin color, that they didn’t treat her as just a student because she was an ornament primarily. And she never quite understood why she wasn’t part of the “white culture” and why “black culture” rejected her. She didn’t get to Princeton by ability and she didn’t get into black culture because she suffered the pains of economic and education disadvantages.

So obviously this is why she has never felt proud about America. Because she knew she had no personal accomplishments worth being proud of in America. SHe internalized the Princeton campus, the Leftist academia universe, as being “the authentic America”.

Victor Davis Hanson has already described why this is typically erroneous in his recent article.

Btw, if all I knew about America came from Leftist mass murderer supporting weaklings, I wouldn’t feel any pride either.

MIchelle refused a lawyer career, either private or government, because she didn’t have the aptitude for it. She couldn’t pass the tests, let alone ace em. She was always treated differently because of her skin, and not in a way that would build any inner character or integrity either.

The myth that the Left must perpetrate is that anyone coming from their top indoctirnation camps must be smart and educated, able and “ready to lead”. Bush gave them a horrible image with that accent of his. So they couldn’t make him look dumb due to his education. They could only ever make him look dumb because they kept saying he was dumb. Enough so that the truly dumb, ignorant, and cogs of America will start parroting what they have heard and what they have been told.

And for Sarah Palin, she was an easy target because that was just a great way for Leftist mediatards to focus in on how a journalism degree from a “community college” (read, non-indoctrination university) was just not enough.

If Sarah Palin is the standard of stupid and extreme radical, and Michelle Obama the standard of the Left’s beauty, no wonder the Left promotes hatred and ugliness at the cost of human dignity and progress.

4. jlibson says

Our side should not spend our time criticizing MObama’s college work.

We have plenty to keep us occupied with finding fault with BObama’s current work.

A fawning media loves the Obamas. Fine, we get it. We will have to live with it.

For heaven’s sake the French said Jerry Lewis was a comic genius. JERRY LEWIS! Accolades from that country is damning praise indeed.

5. BrianE says

Palin’s J degree was from University of Idaho, graduates of which (or is it whom- I forget, but then I only went to a state school) might object to the characterization as a “community college”, though intellectual snobs might consider it barely a University.
    Two kinds of smarts– book smarts and street smarts, and I assume Palin’s smarts, to the extent she has them, are the latter.
    My father-in-law, a high school graduate, built a successful business using the latter also, was extremely dismissive of those that relied on the former.
    His favorite saying was, “Those that can do, those that can’t teach.”
    As to Michelle:
    She grew up on the South side of Chicago, which I assume is the black side of town at a time when the ethnic identity industry was maturing. No doubt she is smart enough, I would suggest she is more just a product of the Chicago school system than anything else.

She was inspired to follow her brother to Princeton because he had shown her it was possible;[3] he graduated in 1983. At Princeton, she challenged the teaching methodology for French because she felt that it should be more conversational.[16] As part of her requirements for graduation, she wrote a thesis entitled, “Princeton-Educated Blacks and the Black Community.”[17] “I remember being shocked,” she says, “by college students who drove BMWs. I didn’t even know parents who drove BMWs.” – from Wikipedia

I think that comment speaks volumes.

I grew up relatively poor, and all of my friends were relatively poor. From what little I know, Michelle had much more economic security growing up than I did and, because of affirmative action, she went to a cachet school. I don’t begrudge her the latter, because it’s become obvious that I got the better education.

As for rehashing her college thesis, I did that only because we’re being told she’s brilliant, and I went hunting for evidence. My sense is that she’s bright, but average. She’s not gorgeous, she’s not brilliant, she’s not the 7th wonder of the world. She’s just an middle class lady in America. There’s nothing wrong with that. I’m also just a middle class lady in America. But I resent having her sold as something exceptional, when she’s not.

7. Gringo says

I agree with Book that Michelle Robinson Obama’s senior thesis needed some proofreading and editing.

Even if you want to give Michelle a pass because her work is typewritten — and those of us who remember typewritten theses also remember a certain willingness to ignore mistakes that were too hard to correct — the fact remains that in one sentence after another, Michelle proves herself incapable of manage basic grammar.

Pot, kettle, Book?

Michelle Robinson Obama correctly saw it as her duty to get her thesis out the door, and she did. What Bismark said about legislation and sausage making, might similarly said about student writing. Grind it out, get it out the door.

I also admit to a certain PREJUDICE about Sociology, her field of study. How can anything coming out of Sociology NOT be BS? I am talking not of the degree, but of the bovine product. Marx wrote the textbook, as it were, for drawn-out, complex, and impenetrable sentences. In that sense, I also give Michelle Obama Robinson a pass. She’s a sociologist, she can’t help it. A strategy I used during the GRE reading section was to choose the selection whose writing most resembled that out of a sociology treatise; i.e., the most unredable prose possible. Compared to most sociologists, Michelle Robinson Obama’s prose is actually fairly clear, which is to her credit.

IMHO, only legal prose is more impenetrable than Sociologist prose.

I would concur with Book’s analysis: bright but not outstanding. Bright but no Einstein, as one professor said about me. I wonder why she surrendered her law license.

I once asked a professor if she thought that her students’ writing had improved with the advent of word processing on computers. Her reply was that she saw no difference. Those who were indifferent proofreaders in the manual typewriter era were also indifferent proofreaders in the word processing era. Those who were awkward writers remained awkward writers. By contrast, I see much improvement in my writing in the word processing era. Typographical errors are much more easily corrected. Proofreading is easier because correction is easier. I have changed from someone who hated writing to someone who now likes writing and can write passably, if not exceptionally.

8. BrianE says

She’ll always be brilliant because she recognized the raw talent in Barack, assuming he was the passive one in the relationship.

BW, I assume you weren’t “shocked” though when you found out that students drove BMW’s?
    All I remember is that I wanted to be friends with them. What’s almost as cool as driving a BMW? Riding in one. Well, that’s not really true. The BMW 2002 was not a chick magnet.

I was more into American muscle cars. 1968 GTO or 1969 Z28.

I agree she’s no Jackie– or Laura for that matter.

Hopefully people will have tired of the Obama show before 2016, and the draft Michelle movement will have waned.

9. Gringo says

BrianE

I agree that Michelle most likely took the initiative more than Barack.

I suspect that to a degree their meeting was stage-managed. For several years Obama and Ayers were in the same NYC neighborhood near Columbia (Ayers at Bank Street School of Education).

Michelle Robinson worked at the same firm as Bernadine Dohrn. Obama was hired as an intern at the same firm. Coincidence perhaps, but not if Ayers and Obama knew each other in NYC. Though neither have said anything about knowing each other in NYC, their living in the same area makes one wonder. OTOH, one can live next door to someone for 20 years in a big city and never speak.

While Michelle’s and Barack meeting up may have been stage-managed, their attachment most likely was not.

10. pst314 says

“Perhaps these horrible Whites were looking at her askance, not because she was Black, but because she lacked the foundational education that used to be a prerequisite for those institutions.”

Or perhaps she had a chip on her shoulder. I knew a good number of Blacks back in college who kept aloof from whites, rejecting personal closeness in various ways.

11. suek says

>>Finding the right words is a constant struggle>>

William Buckley was my hero. His vocabulary was so extensive, and he always had exactly the right word to express exactly what he thought.

Rumsfeld comes up very high on my list as well.

Perhaps the same thought in different words, but maybe she spoke like she wrote. We tend to use the same construction in our writing as we do in our speech. You an attribute it to her education, but perhaps it was instead the pattern of less educated speech that had not been overcome by her education. In that case, it would be a bit like trying to make friends while speaking Ebonics instead of standard written English. Bush’s accent and Palin’s as well are the basis for ridicule of the person as ignorant. Wouldn’t that also have been the case if Michelle spoke the way she wrote?

Gringo….I caught that one, too…..but there’s a BIG difference between what BW is pointing out in a SENIOR (freaking) THESIS, and a single error in a blog post. Ya think?

I recognize the “get it out the door” imperative, but if one has any sort of pride in the quality of her work, then the kind of stuff we see above would NOT be submitted for printing with her name on it. At least, no one with the work ethic my parents instilled in me would do such a thing.

13. nathan says

I’m having fun going through Lost in The Meritocracy by Walter Kirn, about his years at Princeton in the early 80s. There is nothing about race, just the high opinion that Princeton students and professors have of themselves while failing to do any real thinking. It confirms my view that an Ivy League education is way overrated. Unfortunately Ivy grads are now running the government and media as well as the academy.

RE: “When it comes to other’s work, I show a certain impressive rigor.”

To what avail?

I used to sit in church and find fault with the speaker’s grammar to the point that I tuned out the message. And that is the “beast from whose belly I escaped.” I am a happier person, since I quit being so nit-picky.

Technically, you are right. But Michele Obama is still the First Lady of our nation. And you are still being negative, even about her college writing.

15. jlibson says

Step back from the brink of insanity folks.

She is the First Lady. She wrote a mediocre thesis. People love her for no good reason.

None of that matters.

The Statists spent 8 years attacking our president, his family and associates in this way.

We can be better than that.

Helen and jlibson: I was just making a point, which is that the pundits’ purpled, empassioned prose is removed from reality. I think we need to give people reality checks based, not on opinions, but on facts. Until people start looking with a critical eye at the media’s conclusions, they’re going to accept them unquestioningly, and that is dangerous.

As I’ve noted earlier, I’ve managed to chip away at my Mom’s blind faith in the media by tapping into her love of style and beauty. When I pointed out, in a friendly and casual fashion, that I found Michelle nice looking, but not beautiful, my Mom had an “emperor’s new clothes” moment. I had said what she knew to be the truth. I also caused her to doubt the media’s pronouncements. She’s now a slightly more jaundiced media consumer.

As you noticed, I was careful not to attack Michelle for youth or foolishness. We’ve all been young and foolish. I attacked only basic errors that a young person who had spent four years in Princeton ought to have mastered — but she didn’t. Perhaps, then, her brilliance is not as much real as it is imagined. It’s okay not to be brilliant. Most of us aren’t. It’s wrong, though, for the media to sell us a product that doesn’t exist.

17. gpc31 says

Michelle’s thesis is anything but scholarly. It looks like a typewritten rush job, a clattering demolition derby of her jargon-ridden mind and inchoate emotions. Neither mind nor ego emerged unscathed.

Her thesis is evidence of a mediocre intellect. However, to judge it in terms of scholarship is to miss the point.

She needed to complete a thesis, any thesis, in order to get her degree. Mission accomplished. Its actual merit was beside the point, and she knew it–the realization of which probably made her feel like a bigger fraud.

The debate about the proper aim and value of a college education used to be framed as an opposition between the liberal arts and vocational training. The rationale for a college degree has long since devolved into rank credentialism, which combines the pretensions of the former but without the practicality of the latter.

Affirmative action is a faustian bargain. Sure, you get the credential, but at what cost? You’re admitted not because of merit, but because of who you are. And not even “you” as an individual person, but only as a group symbol, defined by how others see you. (Isn’t that really the implied point of Michelle’s thesis? And doesn’t the inferiority complex spawned by affirmative action explain the need for the ego-balm of self love in her dedication: “Thank-you for loving me and always making me feel good about myself.”)

She wrote a clumsy bildungsroman from the imagined vantage point of her future self.

18. Gringo says

jlibson:

Agreed. There are much more important things to focus on than a senior thesis.
    Example: which is it more import to know: Michelle Robinson Obasma’s senior thesis, the 800+ page Stimulus Package, what is being done with the auto companies, or the health care proposal? On a ranking of 1 to 4, that senior thesis ranks not even 1, but 0.0001. The senior thesis is a gnat compared to an atom bomb. Prioritize, folks.

gpc31:

“Merit beside the point” : doesn’t that describe a lot of assignments ? Jumping through hoops is what it’s all about. Feel like a fraud:I beg to differ. I wager that pride of completion took precedence. I took an extremely stressful five credit senior lab course, where a team of 4 students designed and performed various experiments on various apparatus, and wrote up the experiments. This five credit course took 30 hours a week, in addition to 12 more credits I and most others took.
    At an end of semester dinner, some of us sang a song.

“We stay up nights on weekends
    To make our data fit
    And all we ever get is
    Just a pile of …shaving cream..”

Yes, the thesis is mediocre. So what? Big hairy deal, as we said back in the day.

If the purpose of this is to stop media deification of the First Lady, my suggestion is : focus on the husband, the guy with the power. If the purpose of this is to expose Ivy League frauds, as we State U people like to do, I repeat: focus on the husband.

19. BrianE says

My conclusions from reading Michelle’s thesis.

Integration is a benefit to society.
    Blacks came to Princeton, became more cliquish, graduated and became less so.
    Blacks are religious people.
    Blacks become more interested in providing for themselves and families after graduation.
    Blacks became more separationist during their time at Princeton and more integrationist after graduating.

Missing is a comparable study of white attitudes.
    Suppose the results would have been similar?

She probably would have been happier at a black university. Judging from her thesis, she missed the point of going to Princeton.

20. gpc31 says

Gringo, I agree with much of your post, e.g. your comments about unwarranted media deification, ivy league frauds, and the need to prioritize.

I will choose, however, to quibble with you on an essentially unverifiable point, namely, conjectures about Michelle’s psychological state as it related to her thesis.

You wrote:
    “It was sausage, but we made it. Instead of feeling like a fraud, we felt a great sense of accomplishment. We had been through the wringer, and we made it. Working those hours: frauds, not at all. I am sure Michelle Obama Robinson felt the same way.”

That’s where we disagree.

My evidence:
    (1) Princeton makes a big, big deal about its preceptorial system and mandatory senior thesis. (I didn’t go there but know many who did.) Your senior thesis is not supposed to be another piece of sausage. It IS a “big hairy deal” for all those involved.

(2) Michelle has already stated that she felt insecure at Princeton (who didn’t? who wouldn’t at times?). She recently echoed those comments while lauding Judge Sotomayor at a commencement address.

(3) The senior thesis is supposed to be the culmination or your academic career. How could she not feel like a bit of a fraud? Therefore, I conclude that her poor thesis likely exacerbated her feelings of insecurity even as its completion produced relief (whew, made it!).

I too can cut Michelle Robinson Obama some slack, for all the reasons cited above.

Speaking personally, I’ve written my share of panic-stricken hack jobs. I shudder to think of some of the drivel that I submitted in order to get a degree. It didn’t make me proud — just the opposite. Of course, I didn’t have to worry that the color of my skin had anything to do with it — never crossed my mind or my conscience (i.e. nobody gave me a break for my poor work because I was white).

That’s one of the tragedies of affirmative action: it breeds paranoia, two-way resentment, and bad faith.

It enables credentialism but impedes true education, defined memorably by Albert Nock as “the power invariably, in Plato’s phrase, to see things as they are, to survey them and one’s own relations to them with objective disinterestedness, and to apply one’s consciousness to them simply and directly, letting it take its own way over them uncharted by prepossession, unchannelled by prejudice, and above all uncontrolled by routine and formula.”

An unreachable ideal perhaps, but a worthy one.

Instead, we have what Shelby Steele wrote about Sonia Sotomayor, a fellow alumna*:
    “…Sotomayor is of the generation of minorities that came of age under the hegemony of this perverse incentive. For this generation, challenging and protesting were careerism itself. This is why middle- and upper middle-class minorities are often more militant than poor and working-class minorities. America’s institutions — universities, government agencies, the media and even corporations — reward their grievance. Minority intellectuals, especially, have been rewarded for theories that justify grievance.”

Tell me again, what was the subject of Michelle’s thesis?

Michelle was ambitious and bright enough to take advantage of her opportunities and game the system. More power to her.

(*a funny compound phrase. And BTW:
    Mirror, mirror, on the wall,
    Who’s the wisest of them all?
    Latina, Lesbian, or Black: Quite.
    The unfairest of all is — Snow White.)

It’s wrong, though, for the media to sell us a product that doesn’t exist.

Bait and switch has always been the tools of con men and of the Left.

Cog 1:Come the Revolution, everybody will be equal.

Cog 2: The Revolution has now come, why isn’t everybody equal. Why are some people in the party always the ones in power.

Cog 1: Come the Purge, everybody will be equal.

Cog 2:There has already been 4 purges, everybody still isn’t equal.

Cog1: Keep faith with the Revolution. Everything will be all right in the end. You will have plenty of land. After all, how much land does a man really need when he’s given a plot as his grave?

You are going to be more than “occupied” if you continue to refuse to study and learn about the opposition. Their weaknesses, their strengths, their likes and dislikes.

You will forever be on the reactive side of reacting to Obama’s “current work”. Never ahead. Never with the initiative.

How that will get things done, I cannot say.

But that is just the thing. That is exactly about race. Or rather, it is exactly what the Leftist idiotards peddle when they talk about “white culture” discriminating against blacks and keeping blacks economically poor. The difference is, they target people in their way, Republicans or conservatives, and those in the South. In reality, of course, the “white culture” that is keeping blacks down are the affirmative action whores, the Planned Parenthood eugenics crowd (let’s kill off the black race by aborting their babies and making them like it, fight for the right to do it even), and the Democrat party.

The response of most people to the Leftist extremists and racists is “don’t talk about race and it will go away”. But they aren’t going to stop and thus, race isn’t going away. And if they aren’t going to stop, us ignoring the issue of race, by not talking about who is to blame, will do us no good in the end because propaganda belongs to the activist and to the loud ones: not to those sitting in a quiet corner going along to get along. The US Marines couldn’t convince any Iraqi to join us by sitting around saying “it isn’t about Islam, inshallah, or terrorists. Don’t worry about em.” That’s not how wars are won, and particularly not how insurgencies or counter-insurgencies are won.

Btw, most of the Leftist indoctrination about race relations started in the elite universities and filtered on down from there to the rest of the nation’s institutions. The number of people that were destroyed or killed due to their ideology is uncountable. This crime will continue to go unavenged so long as people refuse to talk about the real story of racism in America.

To what avail?-Helen

For the same purpose that you go on a crusade to emulate Martin Luther King Jr. and Ghandi, Helen. Are you so lacking in empathy and the ability to psychologically profile others that you cannot comprehend how the motivations of others can be linked to your own? A serious oversight on the part of Leftist “humanists”.

They should have programmed that conscience redactor of yours never to allow you to ask such questions.

I used to sit in church and find fault with the speaker’s grammar to the point that I tuned out the message. And that is the “beast from whose belly I escaped.”-Helen

Since you weren’t paying attention to the message, obviously you escaped due to sheer boredom. You weren’t ever part of the classical liberal crowd, let alone the conservative Christian Bible Belt. There was no conversion on this score.

None of that matters.

We can be better than that.-J

But you don’t know how to do better. All you can do is to sit around waiting to be hit. Which is not exactly the attitude many Americans are satisfied with any longer.

Elections matter in a democracy. To imply that it doesn’t, that image does not matter in the ultimate consequences of America’s blood and treasure, is to deny human nature. And nothing good came from denying human nature.

The fact that you cannot distinguish between factual disputes about a person’s public record, which a thesis most presumably is, and made up stories about Bush’s “AWOL” from the ANG and attempts to talk about Bush’s alcoholicism relapsing, is why “none of that matters” to you.

Those that can’t see a difference, will not care either way. But they also won’t be able to make an informed decision either way as well. That is the consequence, and no amount of complaint or emotion will change that.

Bush didn’t pay much attention to the personalities of Tenet, Putin, Sandy Berger, Valerie Plame, Wilson Plame, or any other little backstabbers in his branch of government. If you want to repeat his mistakes because you believe, like he believed, that there are other “more important things” to consider, that’s fine.

It’s not fine to drag the entire nation down with you because you wanted the rest of us to not pay attention to the details, for it is the details that has always mattered. Specifically even, the details about people’s true beliefs and true personalities. Those matter far more than any words written on any piece of paper.

24. Gringo says

gpc31:

You may be well be correct. The issue is debatable. Certainly her senior thesis is not of the quality of one Harvard senior thesis, which was turned in to a book: JFK’s Why England Slept. But few senior theses are.

One thing in support of your hypothesis is the big chip on her shoulder that she carries around. Had I had risen from a lower middle class /skilled working class background like Michelle’s to a $300k job, my attitude would have been, “what a country,” not the resentment and “mean country” attitude she carries around. She is one angry woman. That picture of her with Sarkozy’s wife shows us her default point of view. Quite literally.

Michelle Obama said in her thesis:
    >> I have found that, at Princeton, no matter how liberal and open-minded some of my White professors and classmates try to be toward me, I sometimes feel like a visitor on campus. It’s as if I really don’t belong. Regardless of the circumstances underwhich [sic, but I assume that's a typo] I interact with Whites at Princeton, it often seems as if, to them, I will always be Black first and a student second.

This is nothing more than an accusation of deep-seated racism. It’s cheap and tawdry, especially when you consider that it is directed at liberals!

I live in Dallas, and there are plenty of areas within this city where I feel like a visitor. I just don’t fit in, whether I am speaking of very liberal neighborhoods, ethnic neighborhoods, or even the very high-falutin’, stuck-on-themselves hoity-toity areas. Yet I would never accuse the people living in such areas of engaging in any deep-seated hostility towards me. They simply have different cultural values that don’t match my own. I’m welcome to mine and they’re welcome to theirs.

I’d have to read Mrs. Obama’s entire thesis to be certain, but it seems to me that if she found Princeton to he hostile, she finds all of America to be hostile. It certainly explains her alienation from America, and her belief that we are a mean and nasty nation. It explains the simmering anger that I almost always detect running just beneath the surface of everything she and her husband say and do.

Michelle gives herself away is when she says, “no matter how liberal and open-minded some of my White professors and classmates try to be toward me. . .” Even when she acknowledges their good-faith efforts towards her, she insists on feeling alienated.

What would it have taken for her to feel she belonged? She obviously doesn’t know, thus, one source of her perpetual anger. Another source is affirmative action. It’s a bitch to know that even though you’ve advanced thanks to just the sweetest, kindest, nicest, most well-meaning form of racism evuh, your black skin—not you—is what got you there.