Farrah Fawcett, RIP *UPDATED: Michael Jackson, RIP”

I came of age in the 1970s, when Farrah Fawcett was probably the most popular pin-up in America.  Whether running dashingly around on Charlie’s Angels, or smiling brightly, yet provocatively, in her famous red swimsuit picture, she was everywhere.

Those images are so vivid in my mind, it’s hard to believe that this fixture from my youth is dead, but she is, having died this morning from cancer.

My condolences to her family and friends.

UPDATE:  I came in from dragging out mountains of collected junk from around the house, only to discover the news completely taken over with Michael Jackson’s death.  He was an incredibly talented and pathetic human being.  I don’t think he enjoyed life very much. As with Farrah Fawcett, my condolences go to his family and friends.

The one thing I know for certain is that, as I tweeted, Jackson’s death is a welcome relief for reporters who get several days reprieve from having to grapple with such challenging issues as Iran, cap-and-trade, a sagging economy, etc.

As for me, unless I have a larger point to make about society or media, this will be the last I have to say about either of these stories, which are personal tragedies for the families, and marginally interesting news of the minute for the fans.

Comments

1. Ellen says

I had the FF hairdo (although I was a brunette). She was very pretty and seemed to be a pleasant person. She was very good in The Burning Bed and maybe if she hadn’t been a pop culture icon she’d have had the chance to spread her acting wings. RIP Farrah.

She was surprisingly good in ‘The Burning Bed’. That was one of two big “Hey, these TV ladies are pretty darn good!” that happened back in the day. The other of the two was Sally Field in “Sybil”.

Charles #3,
    I feel strangely ambivalent about that news. Jackson was a tortured, confused, utterly strange soul. He never seemed to understand just how sick in the head he was. All along, he could have gotten help, had he just been able to admit his problems.

Well… now he’s gone.

I never really understood the Michael Jackson phenomena, even his in prime. It may be age related, but for me music is being able to hum the tune and join in the lyrics
    when it’s been music from memories.
    The obsessive news coverage is disturbing and I wonder if ‘sneaky congress’ will pass some awful legislation while all the networks are wrapped up in marquee news.

I just hope his children can be raised in a less bizarre atmosphere.

Like Book, I commiserate with the families of Fawcett-Majors and Jackson.

But I’m sitting here at 10:25 p.m. close to nausea over the complete takeover of the airwaves by relentless coverage of Jackson and Fawcett-Majors’ deaths, as though this were Dallas that November day in 1963, or Florida in January 1986 when Challenger exploded.

Give me an effin’ break, already.

Like Book, I see a major feint by the media to avoid having to report on the slaughter in Iran, Obama’s abysmally low ABC propaganda program ratings, or the soon-to-be-passed greatest rip-off in U.S. history ever, cap and trade.

I just don’t get this need by people to be entertained—let alone satisfied—by voyeurism and mawkish sentimentality.

=SIGH=

Charles – couldn’t agree more and surprised you are only close to nausea and not in full puking throttle mode.

I am afraid this going to go on for days up to and including the funeral. The media is just so self absorbed. I am going to start calling this ‘bucket reporting’ since it makes us feel like putting our head in one.

On my yahoo toolbar there is an icon for ‘latest headlines’ (BBC) Need I say more when the top story is Jackson and the fourth one down is US sends weapons to Somalia.