Comments

1. BrianE says

And as I watched the deniers make their arguments, I couldn’t help thinking that I was watching a form of treason — treason against the planet. – Paul Krugman

Paul “Nobel” Krugman in the NYT advances an economic argument(?) on the Cap and Trade Bill. Among the 500+ comments, the following was representative of the alarmist position, though with a certain florish:

The meager attempts by the bourgeois elite and the global financial capitalist superstructre to reconcile the rapid rise in global warming are attempts that will never solve the crisis of climate change. The central impediment to sustainability is capitalism. The principal barrier to a harmonious, peaceful world where goods are produced not because they will make a profit but because they will actually fulfill a fundamental human need is capitalism.

The current changes being proposed are so minimal that their effects will hardly matter in the long run. It is like drilling a hole in a barrel when the hose is on full blast, eventually the barrel will overflow and the hole that was drilled will be inconsequential.

Radical social transformation is required if humanity is to transcend the onslaught that the capitalist mode of production has wreaked upon not only the planet and its finite resources, but the vast majority of humanity itself; denying billions of people their fundamental human rights of food, clothing, shelter, education, heath care and safety from war and oppression all because they are unable to pay for these things on the “free market”.

All power to the people! All people for a participatory, democratic society!

Whenever a thought begins with “bourgeois”, I have a tendency to giggle, but surpressed the urge and read on. By the time I got to “Radical social transformation” I knew I was reading a true believer, not so much a believer in AGW, but a true believer of “capitalist slavery”.

I wonder if scientists on the alarmist side of the debate cringe when they realize their hopes of change are hostage to the left whose only goal is to destroy capitalism.

The irresponsibility of the House in voting on a bill that NONE of them could possibly have read and understood in its final form (including all the last-minute amendments) is astonishing. It’s comparable to a financial planner deciding to put all of a family’s assets in a single investment which he has not researched–say, by putting all the money into buying a fast-food franchise without reading the prospectus and the franchise agreement.

I imagine that such a financial planner could be successfully sued for violation of fiduciary responsibility.

(For something completely different–if you want a break from depressing contemporary politics–I have a post with some nice English translations of Heine’s poetry)

Re George Bruce (#4): I only know what Sally wrote. I hope to see her for lunch or coffee in the next couple of weeks, and I’ll get more information. She is one of the most grounded, intelligent people I’ve ever met (a Jewish, neocon lawyer, just like me), so I’m inclined to trust her instincts.

Re Book #6,
    Book, I’m interested in what you find about the case as well. In any “he-said she-said”, or in this case, “he-said he-said” encounter where rape is alleged, the devil is in the details. A result of murder of the alleged rapist raises the stakes. Clearly the self-defense argument failed; should it have succeeded? The one article I read on the case was unclear; I think the author was the mother of the convicted.

Past sexual behavior of both parties would indicate that self-defense would appear to be a legitimate defense, but I’m not sure the past sexual behaviors of each man could be brought up during the trial, to justify self-defense in the rape scenario? (I’m showing legal ignorance here of course by asking…)

The Republicans trashing Palin are at it again, this time via a horrifying hit piece in Vanity Fair. Things are shaking.

McCain, once again, remains silent as some of his former staffers again pull out the long knives and go after her anonymously. Mitt Romney continues to be VERY troubled by this whole affair as many of his former staffers remain involved in this.

The classy Governor Palin does need to continue to do her conservative-bona-fides homework, learning to speak of conservative phisolophic principles in depth, before she will be able to put 2008 behind her. Yet her behavior in the face of these Republican-driven assassination attempts… her behavior is just plain tough and just plain classy beyond belief.

She is racking up the points heading into 2012. Romney, Mr Plastic with the coldest of cold hearts (until he repudiates what his allies are doing) is losing them. He’s losing them, as well, due to the collapse of his signature, key, health plan efforts in Massachusetts.

A few links analyzing the viciousness against Palin via the Vanity Fair article, in case you haven’t been following it.

(As usual, I’ll stop at two, because this webhosting site that Book uses throws you into moderation hell when using more than two links. Very, very, very unfortunate policy!)

7. BrianE says

I don’t think it was gone unnoticed on the left that John McCain came closer to beating Barack Obama, and may have except for his dismal handling of the financial bailout, because of Sarah Palin, not despite it.

8. BrianE says

More than once in my travels in Alaska, people brought up, without prompting, the question of Palin’s extravagant self-regard. Several told me, independently of one another, that they had consulted the definition of “narcissistic personality disorder” in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders—“a pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy”—and thought it fit her perfectly.- Todd Purdum in Vanity Fair “It came from Wasilla”

Riiiight! I’m sure everyone has a copy of “Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders” in their personal library. Mine is right….wait– it’s GONE! My niece, visiting from Wasilla, must have stolen it! (My wife DOES have a niece living in Wasilla).

My ADD prevents me from the research, but I find it odd that Purdham would include his supposed tidbit, along with the observation that Palin is a “cipher”. It would be interesting to see how many characteristics abscribed by conservatives to Obama are leveled by Purdham against Palin. Is this a kind of private joke among VF staffers, a chance to get even?

LOL, Brian, ROTFL! #12 was perfectly hilarious! I keep my copy of “Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders” right here next to me on the handy — wait, my copy is gone too!

The link that analyzes that hatchet job of Palin in Vanity Fair has other breathtaking quotes, as well. This Vanity Fair article is such an amazing MSM hatchet job, perhaps the most biased and stunning example of such outrageous bias we’ve seen so far.