Herding seniors to the abattoire *UPDATED*

Don Parker nails both the costs and hypocrisy behind the mandate in the new health care bill that seniors be gently steered towards a cheap death.

UPDATE:  Thanks to Old Flyer for reminding me of this, which fits in so perfectly with the new plan:

UPDATE II:  A story from my dad’s old joke book.

In long ago Japan or China (or amongst the Eskimos, or something else), a young boy came across his father carry a large basket on his back.  In the basket was the boy’s grandfather.

He asked, “Father, where are you taking grandfather?”

“Shh,” said the father.  “Grandfather is old and sick.  He eats, but he does not earn.  I’m taking him to the river, where I will leave him to die.  It will be better for all of us.”

“Oh, father,” said the boy.  “That is an excellent idea.  But be sure to bring the basket home, so that I can use it for you one day.”

All cultures living on the margin of survival have used abandonment as a way of culling the herd so that the strong can survive.  The Hansel and Gretel story is a perfect example of this.  With too many mouths to feed, the children were left in the wilderness.

My question, of course, is whether we, in America, have come to that marginal existence?  The Left thinks we have.  I don’t — or, at least, I hope we haven’t.

Comments

1. Oldflyer says

Hmm! I just had my 74th birthday. I wonder how much longer I have? Maybe I should start spending my savings.

Will we have a choice of method? I typed out my choice, but then it occurred to me that I might get a visit from the guys who have short haircuts and wear conservative suits. Just a hint; it involved an airplane and a productive departure..

2. JKB says

Well, you got to admit, the talk the old into dying might be a real plan to save Social Security? Or if not, how long till that becomes the goal?

3. George Bruce says

Much cheaper to not prolong our lives than to pay our social security. Old people have no social utility, according to some. Plus, they may infect the young with outdated ideas about liberty.

4. Quisp says

There’s an article in City journal that talks about how disease prevention raises healthcare costs by helping people live long enough to get more complex – and expensive – diseases (diabetes, Alzheimer’s, cancer). It’s all about the exit strategy!

5. Oldflyer says

Some folks may remember Edward G. Robinson’s last film, “Soylent Green”. You have to be pretty old to even recognize the name Edward G. Robinson, I suppose.

Anyway, it dealt with the issue of state mandated euthanasia, and followed Robinson through the process; pretty pleasant actually. He watched a pleasant video and listened to beautiful music as he made the transition. If I remember correctly the big surprise was that in the end was that he was processed into an edible pudding.

Clearly, the “Authorities” in the movie were slightly ahead of our own–but we may be getting there.

The people that supported the execution of Terri Schiavo by enforced starvation and dehydration justified it on the basis that it was “private” as well as on the basis that she was useless and couldn’t think for herself so might as well let anybody around do it, even those with a conflict of interest.

The media lapped it up as being another example of right wing flakery.

I knew, at heart, what those signs would ultimately lead to. I had seen it before.

I remember every injustice and act of petty greed and narcissistic deprivation that the Left has aided in or caused. The long list of their crimes against humanity is longer than that of Hitler and Stalin together. Their absolute numbers are smaller in terms of the killed and the slaughtered, but the sheer number of their crimes exceed imagination.

8. Marguerite says

Does anyone who read P.D. James’s ‘Children of Men’ recall the Quietus? Old folks who were no longer useful or who were perhaps ‘inconvenient’ (much like an unwanted foetus at the other end of life) were drugged and loaded onto barges and shipped out to I don’t remember where to die. The much touted right-to-die will soon become the requirement.

The movie, for example, listed global warming. Poverty was sky high, 50% unemployed (that’s Obamanomics for you) in New York City with 40 million people.

The cops were corrupt because that’s how the system worked. People did whatever they could to get by. Soylent Green Day, was Green Day. Greeness. Goodness.

It is the utopia promised by Obama. By Leftists, by Socialists. by Chavez. A utopia where there is the rich and then there is everybody else, resources for the rich. The lovliest utopia you will ever see from Leftists.