The problem with the Left is that they’ve been inhaling

I’m too much of a self-control freak ever to have been attracted to recreational drugs (or even alcohol, for that matter).  Add to that the fact that my first childhood memories involve the Haight-Ashbury after the Summer of Love fell apart, when the neighborhood had turned into one giant, drug-ridden tenderloin district, and you’ll appreciate that I have little patience for drug use.  I’m especially hostile to marijuana, because its users commit the ultimate sin — they become boring.  Indeed, I remember one of our family friends, who had been a total hippie in the 60s and 70s who turned her back on the whole scene precisely because that fact — marijuana’s profound boringness — was shoved in her face.

It seems that, one day, she and a friend got seriously stoned and started having a very important and meaningful conversation about world peace and other exciting subjects.  So profound were their insights that they determined to preserve them for posterity.  To that end, they dug out her tape recorder, hit the record button, and let themselves talk.  The next day, play-back revealed what really happened:  “Man . . . that is so, like, deep, you know?  ‘Cause, like, if you do that, everybody would have a giant love fest, you know?  Yeah.  .  . .  Awesome.  . . . Totally . . . awesome.”  After realizing that she had recorded over an hour of this mindless crap, she swore off pot forever.

I thought of my friend’s long ago experience when I read Leigh Scott’s brilliant insight about the Left:  They’re all stoned.  As Scott explains:

Stoners always think that they are smarter than they really are. Copious amounts of THC trick the brain into thinking that the most banal thought is somehow a stroke of genius. Just watch a bunch of stoners debate philosophy and metaphysics. The most ridiculous comments take on the gravitas of a Stephen Hawking thesis. Morons think that they are Michio Kaku after a towering bong hit.

Stoners live for the moment. They are all about feelings, not facts. They possess a detached sense of cause and effect.

That rather perfectly sums up both the stoner and the liberal world view.  You should definitely read the whole thing.

Comments

LOL…too totally awesome perfect!

Scott’s piece should prove to be the iconographic representation of the Obama generation, what Andy Warhol’s Campbell Soup Can was to the 60’s radical Left.

Stoners! Let the label stick.

Like, I was going to say that painting with a broad brush is

whoa. It blows my mind to think that the camels, like, willingly give up hair for those brushes.

I couldn’t stand George Brush. he was a mean man. What he did to his brother Fuller was

koo kooka choo!

forget looking at your hand. Have you ever REALLY looked at your nose hair? Why don’t the straights give nose hair more respect?

My old lady just left me. My heart is broken. Come back, uh, martha. mary? Madge?

Bitch.

Where was I? Oh, yeah, my ear hair

What an upper! Giggles Galore.

Bean bags and munchies.
    No wonder Pelosi couldn’t remember (yeah right) what was said not said.
    Barney giving away money for his stoner friends to buy houses.

The old adage (revamped) because this administration promised transparency…

People who live in glass houses shouldn’t get stoned.

4. johnfromcolumbus says

Leigh Scott’s blog entry ranks up as one of the finest blog entries I have ever read. I smiled and LOL’d as I read it. Now I must annoy my Liberal dope smoking friends by sending them the link! Bwhahahahahahahaha.

5. roylofquist says

I guess I’m a bit different then most folks. Though I haven’t partaken in years I did find that I gleaned some valuable insights into information theory, quantum mechanics and cosmology. Just weird, I guess.

6. Gringo says

I cannot top the wit thus far on this posting. I shall instead be a pedant and copy some lines from Bob Dylans’s Rainy Day Woman #12 and 35.

They’ll stone ya when you’re at the breakfast table.
    They’ll stone ya when you are young and able.
    They’ll stone ya when you’re tryin’ to make a buck.
    They’ll stone ya and then they’ll say, “good luck.”
    Tell ya what, I would not feel so all alone,
    Everybody must get stoned.

Well, they’ll stone you and say that it’s the end.
    Then they’ll stone you and then they’ll come back again.
    They’ll stone you when you’re riding in your car.
    They’ll stone you when you’re playing your guitar.
    Yes, but I would not feel so all alone,
    Everybody must get stoned.

And to those who state that the correct poetic interpretation of the song shows that references in this song to being stoned have nothing to do with psychoactive drugs, my reply is that I was stoned when I decided on my interpretation of the lyrics.

7. George Bruce says

I never really thought about it before, but it does make sense. I can imagine that dope smoking might account for 2-3% points in the voting on a national basis. It might be more, but I doubt many dopers can remember the date of the election or can find their way to the correct polling place before it closes.

I can see it now.

Unwashed hippie for Obama, after standing in line for several minutes: ” Uh, man, like I wanna vote.”

Clerk: “Sir, this is Bank of America.”

Hippie: “Yeah, right, like I wanna vote now.”

Clerk: “Sir, this is a bank. And the election was last week.”

Hippie: “Yeah man, but I really wanna vote, so give me that thing that you vote on.”

Clerk: “Sir, you can’t do that here.”

Hippie: “FASCIST!!! I bet you like let George Bush vote here all the time.”