Girl Scout cookies support climate change

My daughter is a very reluctant Girl Scout, only because her best friend, an equally reluctant Girl Scout, is in there due to parental pressure.  In Spring, we sell cookies, and I buy the minty kind.  Might have to stop selling and buying, though, because it turns out that, not only have the Girl Scouts drunk the climate Kool-Aid, but they’re aggressively using cookie monies to fund global warming mania.  You know, it’s one thing to buy cookies that help inner city girls go camping, or all girls to be in an organization that teaches them fun skills.  It’s another thing entirely to learn that you’re supporting a global fraudulent agenda:

Hat tip:  Sadie

Comments

This looks really bad: http://www.cooltheearth.org/our-program/girl-scouts/
    “Cool the Earth and Girl Scouts Northern CA have come together to bring climate change action to everyone in the community.”
    That’s a shame.  I really liked their cookies.

2. suek says

I was lucky – I had mostly boys, and my one daughter was a 4-H member instead of joining Girl Scouts.  The more I read of the support of GS for Planned Parenthood, abortion education and allowing lesbians to be leaders, the more I think I wouldn’t have a daughter in GS even if I had one who was eligible.

I suspect the founders must be turning over in their graves.

Here’s a chance to be creative and rewrite the descriptions.
    Thin Mints: Thin, mint-flavored chocolate wafers dipped in a chocolate coating.
    Peanut Butter Sandwiches/Do-si-dos: Peanut butter filling sandwiched between crunchy oatmeal cookies.
    Peanut Butter Patties/Tagalongs: Crispy vanilla cookies layered with peanut butter and covered with a chocolate coating.
    Shortbreads/Trefoils: A traditional shortbread cookie made in the shape of the Girl Scout
    Caramel DeLites/Samoas: Vanilla cookies coated in caramel, sprinkled with toasted coconut and laced with chocolate stripes.
    All Abouts/Animal Treasures/Thanks-A-Lot: : Shortbread cookies dipped in fudge and topped with an embossed thank-you message in one of five languages, including English, Spanish, French, Chinese, and Swahili.

Lemon Chalet Cremes: Cinnamon sandwich cookies with lemon creme filling.
    Cinna-spins Introduced in 2008 by ABC Bakers, Cinna-spins are cinnamon-flavored cookies that come in 100-calorie packs. Cinna-spins are shaped like miniature cinnamon rolls. Retired and replaced by Daisy Go Rounds.
    Daisy Go Rounds: Very similar to Cinna-spins, this cookie replaced them for the 2009 sale. They are advertised as low fat and also come in 100 calorie packs. They are cinnamon flavored and shaped like daisies. These cookies are only available from ABC Bakers.
    Sugar Free Chocolate Chips Introduced in 2008, they are small sugar free cookies.
    Dulce De Leche Introduced in 2009, these are Latin caramel cookies.
    Lemonades Round shortbread cookie with lemon icing.

4. Leah says

A wonderful thing that is happening with the girl scout cookies is that over 50,000 go out to our soldiers overseas every year.
    I”m sure this isn’t the case in Marin, but in So Cal and in other parts of the country the girls sell cookies for the soldiers. It gets recorded in the main office and every year one or two big semis pulls up to the armory in Van Nuys and unloads all the cookies. These cookies are put into our boxes at Operation Gratitude. We are finishing up our holiday drive, and there are still cookies from the spring.
    After this drive we’ll probably send the rest of the boxes down to camp Pendleton or 29 Palms. Cuz by March, the trucks will show up again with a whole new load of cookies.

5. girlsscoutmania says

OH I’d like to clear up something.  GIRL SCOUT COOKIES SUPPORT GIRLS…These girls may support CLIMATE CHANGE and may be at a conference representing the Girl Guide Movement, but they’re GIRLS first and foremost.  They’re not spreading propoganda any more than your school does.  Girl scouts is spreading a lot less than our government currently is…I’ll tell you that!  GIRL SCOUT COOKIE MONIES do not GO TO PLANNED PARENTHOOD and support ABORTION.  Cookie money (and only $.50 per box) goes to a troop and they choose how to spend their money.  Bad press has come about because some troop somewhere decided to have a planned parenthood representative speak…everyone knows when there’s a large number of people in an organization, you can’t look at one or two bad decisions…look at the overall movement, which has a FANTASTIC TRACK RECORD.

Still not a fan, then, LEAD YOUR TROOP so that’s not how YOUR MONEY GETS SPENT.  LEAD YOUR GIRLS.  Don’t point the finger and use this fantastic video of two well educated girls at a conference as “ANTI GIRL SCOUTS”   It’s wrong.   This video and the comments are completely OUT OF CONTEXT.  These girls were very proud of the entire movement…AND THE FOUNDER, JULIETTE GORDON LOW is not ROLLING OVER IN HER GRAVE…she is about to have one HECK OF A PARTY.  Girl scouts of America turns 100 in 2012.  Find a way to support your girls, grow them into leaders, and to HELP THEM BE THE CHANGE THEY WISH TO SEE…Girl Scouts has.  Eat your cookies, guilt free, and ENJOY!

6. March Hare says

Leah–GS of the San Francisco Bay Area (now known as GS of Northern California) have sent cases of cookies to service men & women for the last several years.  We have a program called “Gift of Sharing”:  you buy a box of cookies and specify if you want it to go to the troops (through the Blue Star Moms) or to a local food bank.  The program has been very successful.
    I’ve been a Girl Scout for a loooong time, as have my daughters.  We (as most leaders do) ignore the “fringier” aspects of the program and stick with what works.  My troop, all in high school, concentrates mostly on leading activities for the younger girls, working as Day Camp staff, and participating in an international exchange with Girl Scouts in Japan.
    Oh–and we participated in the “Girl Power-Fire Power” event last year, where the girls learned to shoot.  :)
    I am disappointed in the current partnership with Al Gore’s Kool-Aid drinkers.  I was on the original “Save the Bay” Committee, and the program has moved in a radical direction from conservation (which I can support) to political action (meaning more rules, which I can’t support).  My skepticism of AGW was not appreciated, so I no longer participate in that part of the program.  However, with the recent “Climate-gate” scandals and the truth coming out about Gore’s fake documentary, I may have to go back just to make everyone nervous.  ;)