An easy way to let local newspapers know how you feel about what Congress is doing

Organizing For America (the Obamabot organization) has set up a handy-dandy web page so that the Obamatrons can easily write to local newspapers to crow about the wonders of Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and Obama Care. The goal, of course, is to get published, and make people feel as if they’re in a community that overwhelmingly supports Obama Care.

The great thing, though, is that the website isn’t a form letter site.  It’s just an easy contact site.  So why not use that same handy-dandy web page as a way to connect easily with your local paper to applaud GOP courage (and GOP members were courageous here), and to opine, with facts, of course, about the problems Obama Care will cause our nation?  That way, your community can see that there people who are not marching off the cliff in lockstep.

(BTW, this idea didn’t originate with me, but I’m happy to be one of the conduits passing it along.)

Comments

I sent a letter to the Marin IJ earlier this evening via the OFA website. I promptly got an e-mail from “My.BarackObama.com” thanking me for speaking out.

To paraphrase Everett Dirksen’s mentor, B. Bunny, “What a bunch of maroons!”

P.S. Is “OFA” a snickering allusion to “Ofay,” a contemptuous old black slang word that refers to whites? Just asking.

2. Larry Sheldon says

I’m guessing that my entry will not see light of day (unless it is at the show-trial), but here it is in case somebody is interested:

I sent him email asking for his to support of my position on the destruction of our way of life issue and then later my opinion of his support.

He sent me a zero content email or at least it was content free as far in as I was willing to read), and when I replied to it, Lo! and Behold!, I got a auto-bot message saying that he was “Out of Office” and that he was no longer reading his email.

I’d like to thank the World Herald for printing two cross-word puzzles now, and I’d like to condemn them for dropping some of my favorite comic strips.  Since the dog is now house-trained, those are the only reasons left for subscribing.

Did you cover Nelson’s trip to the Pizza house?  I read about it on one of my news sources (I forget now which blog, there are so many good ones around now)?  I wish I knew the name of the restaurant, I’d hate to go there by accident.  Probably not much of a worry, since we won’t be able to eat out any more.  Except at the Mission.

Oh, and if you’d tell old Ben for me the next time he pays you off, he needs to correct his auto-bot message.  He is “Out of Touch”.

“Out of Office” comes a little later.

3. Larry Sheldon says

I used to have respect for the IJ, many years ago.

Did I change?

I also have a funny story about the IJ tangling with technology back in the 1960′s.  I don’t know if it would make sense to anybody nowadays.

Hmm…just answering – wouldn’t be a bit surprised.

Larry, I’d love to read your story. Just to let you know my bonafides, in 1975 I worked at a small suburban newspaper in Los Angeles that was the last hot-type pape in the county.

6. Larry Sheldon says

I used to work in long-haul (“toll” telephony (and telegraphy but that is irrelevant here.

Back min those days most of the transcontinental stuff was either coaxial able, or microwave radio although there was a lot of ordinary cable and even some open wire.  This story involves the transcontinental co-axial cable system.

I have forgotten some of the details, and never knew but only guessed at, others.

In the co-ax system there wer groups of four “pipes”  — three carrying Message Telephone Service or Television (network) service.  The fourth pipe in a group was a spare which the equipment would switch to if it detected a problem in one of the working pipes.

The equipment usually duplicated the most important working to reduce the switching time (for the others, the receiving station had to send a signal up-stream asking for the failing pipe on the spare, instead of just switching to it.)

The Wall Street Journal was experimenting with expanding to nation-wide deliveries and the game as I understand it was to transmit images of each page to local newspapers that wild print and deliver the WSJ under contract.

They got a contract with AT & T to use the spare pipes all the way across the country to transmit the pages at high-speed (remember, high-speed data was 100 WPM) to the contractors.

The IJ was the contractor (may have been the first, may have been their idea) for the Bay Area.

One night conditions were terrible, and the pipes were taking hits an switching pretty frequently.

I got a call (in Van Nuys–we must have been the control office) from somebody at the IJ pretty much in a panic–it was getting close to bed-time and they could not get one particular page.

Apparently their system wouldn’t re-start a page, if it got hit they had to do the whole page over.

The guy at the IJ was close to tears wanting to know if there wasn’t a way to lock out the switches long enough to get his page.

There was, but I didn’t have the authority to do that (jeopardizing service that paid a lot more than he did I bet).

And besides, the system runs in segments a few hundred miles or less in length–it would have taken all day to work back up the stream getting lockouts set.

I don’t know if he ever got his page, and I don’t know if they use a system like that today.  (I’m pretty sure all the co-ax and radio systems are gone.)

Your friendly neighborhood reminder:

We’re supposed to turn out lights out at 8:30 this evening for ‘earth hour’.

I am taking the Motel 6 approach and you?

8. Larry Sheldon says

I got confused and turned them on at 2000.

I guess I’ll have to leave them on until 2200 to make up for it.

Kind of weird.  We (especially my wife) are pretty penurious when it comes to leaving lights on when they are not needed.  And sometimes when they are.  (Little marital disagreement on the meaning of “needed”.)