Wednesday morning stuff *UPDATED*

A few things have crossed my radar this morning that I hope you’ll find as interesting as I did:

Is Michelle Obama depressed?  One of my friends thinks she is.  That is, she thinks Michelle has moved beyond anger and arrogance and landed in sheer misery.  She sent this link along as an example of Michelle’s current lack of happy fizz.  My friend may be right.  Michelle Obama, who has presented herself over the years as an angry person who feels that, both personally and by race, she’s always had the short end of the stick, probably believed that, when she got to the White House, she would suddenly be fulfilled and happy.  However, wherever you go, there you are.  Whether living in Chicago or the White House, Michelle is still Michelle — and she’s a person who has made a lifestyle out of angry grievance.  She doesn’t know from happy, and she’s probably more unhappy than ever now that she’s discovered that the White House isn’t a cure all for the anger that ails her.

As you know, I’ve been opposed from the beginning to inquiries into Elena Kagan’s private life.  Whether she is lesbian is irrelevant to her politics, which are defined by her liberalism, not her sexuality.  Michael Kinsley, however, has gone the other way.  He thinks that we ought to start savaging other justices private lives.  His first target:  Antonin Scalia, who has nine children:  “Why does Justice Antonin Scalia, by common consent the leading intellectual force on the Court, have nine children? Is this normal? Or should I say ‘normal,’ as some people choose to define it? Can he represent the views of ordinary Americans when he practices such a minority lifestyle? After all, having nine children is far more unusual in this country than, say, being a lesbian.”  If I was in the same room as Kinsley, this is what I would say:  “It’s true that so many children isn’t the norm, but having children is the norm, both biologically and culturally.  And fortunately we’re still enough of a freedom loving country that we allow people to figure out how many of the norm they want in their lives.”  (H/t:  The Anchoress)

In my post the other day about liberal illogic, I noted the illogic that has American blacks hostile to the police, even though blacks are most likely to be the victims of black-on-black crime.  I acknowledged that blacks in the past had good reason to fear the police, who did harass, assault, arrest and even kill them as form of sport.  But I said, the past is past.  Well, it turns out that, for American blacks, the past is not the past, because the liberal media is a well-spring of misinformation.  The media makes much of the fact that police target minorities more, without stating (a) that minorities commit more crimes and (b) that minorities are actually understopped relative to the amount of crime they commit.  Here’s the cause and effect question for you:  If minorities were targeted proportionate to the amount of crime they commit, might they be deterred from committing more crime?  And as you think about that question, do keep in mind that minority criminals commit the majority of their acts against their fellow minorities.

Peter Beinart says that, if we really love Israel, we should beat up on her more.  To which I say:  wife-beaters.  There comes a point where “I love her” is a justification for abuse, not a declaration of true feelings.  Beinart’s attitude would be more palatable, of course, if people loved the Palestinians, Saudis, Iranians, Egyptians, etc., enough to criticize them constantly too.  But they don’t.  It’s only Israel who comes in for this violent, destructive, sometimes deadly “love.”

UPDATEDavid Solway on the scary cipher in the White House.

The Mexican President, whose country is home to some of the most restrictive immigration laws in the world, blasts Arizona from trying to enforce America’s much laxer federal immigration laws.  I know why he’s upset.  If America really tightens her borders, Mexico will have to clean its own house.  It will no longer have a safety valve for the unemployed and the criminal, nor will it have the billions of dollars these “immigrants” (none of whom are committed to America) routinely send to float the Mexican economy.  Obama should have slapped him where he stood.  Instead, he essentially supported Calderon’s swipe at our national sovereignty.  Barack Obama, you are a very bad man; a very bad man (see at 1:08; 1:20; 2:17; 3:35)

UPDATE IIA blast from the past.  I don’t know why, but I’ve always found it cool to peer backwards through time and really look at the people.  They are so like us — as the reconstructed image shows — and yet so very, very different in their world view.

UPDATE III:  Obama, no matter how careful he is, exposes his incoherence and bias.

Comments

Is Michelle Obama depressed?
    Maybe that explains why they are partying like crazy in the White House.
    My impression is that it has been the Liberals trying to make an issue of it, as to how it should matter to conservatives.

Peter Beinart  is acting like a beaten woman, whose only response to being beaten by her tormentor is to convince herself that she was beaten because she didn’t love him (i.e., those that want to destroy Israel) enough.

Calderon speaks the height of hypocrisy, given how Mexico treats its own illegal immigrants from Latin America, especially Guatemala.

3. expat says

Danny,
    It’s even worse than just having victimhood preached at you day after day. First, they set set goals that have to be reached before you get their recognition, for instance Obama seems to want everyone to go to college.  Anything less is second class. Second, if you do set your own goals and try to acquire the skills needed to pursue them, you are accused of acting white. If Michelle is depressive it’s probably because she ODed on this stuff as a kid.  She had to cash in all her chips to get her Ivy degrees, and her subsequent jobs also seem to have come through connections, to say nothing of her last salary increase. That The Won never figured this out doesn’t say much for his grasp of psychology, which is probably why he doing such a bang-up job in foreign relations.

4. suek says

Heh.  If Michelle is depressed, it’s probably because the goal is virtually never as sweet as the anticipation of the goal.  They’re both still relatively young.  And they’re done.  There’s nothing for them to do after this.  She’s got to be – to a certain extent – in a phase of “is this all there is”??

By the way…speaking of “accomplishments”  … and achieving goals … check this out:

Gaza – Ma’an Exclusive- “Salafism is not only in Gaza, it is all over Palestine and needs no license to practice in the heart of Tel Aviv or in Washington,”

Peter Beinart, who lives in DC confirms this quote in Book’s link.

Q: To what extent is Army of Islam is linked to Al-Qaeda? A: Army of Islam is in general is linked with the entire Muslim world, and we are supported in carrying out Jihad against enemy nations, against the Israelis, against the Christians and against Muslim rejectionists in Chechnya, Iraq, Afghanistan and Somalia. Coalitions between our groups add little in terms of support or advice.

Nice to know that they haven’t left anyone off their hate list and that they have no qualms about murdering any and all within their sights [sarc off]. The really horrid part of all the links that Book shared with us today is that we ‘currently’ have an administration that doesn’t give a rat’s ass about any of it. I feel like I’ve been transported to Opposite World – a really bad theme park without my consent.

Ha, Expat. I propose that Michelle is also depressed because she is an affirmative action student: did you ever read her undergraduate thesis (I know it was posted online)? It wouldn’t pass a decent high school.

Affirmative action really is one of the worst things that was done to black people…branding black people with a scarlet letter “M” for mediocrity that denied the truly meritorious their just dues.

Borders, we don’t need no stinkin’ borders –  We’ve got two world classless leaders to help us – Calderon and Obamaron.
    If the OTM can’t fly in and destroy us….

For those who can’t read but got this far anyway, take a look at this other disturbing WSB-TV video report here from the Arizona-Mexico border, the sieve-like line that prompted Arizona’s elected officials to enact the strict new illegal immigrant law.
    Most people think of illegal immigrants as poor Central Americans seeking lucrative work in the United States. But WSB uncovered convincing evidence that the flow of illegal immigrants now includes Pakistanis and Afghans, trained in Spanish, with plans to look for targets, not jobs.

8. Marguerite says

“My experiences at Princeton have made me far more aware of my ‘blackness’ than ever before,” the future Mrs. Obama wrote in her thesis introduction. “I have found that at Princeton, no matter how liberal and open-minded some of my white professors and classmates try to be toward me, I sometimes feel like a visitor on campus; as if I really don’t belong. Regardless of the circumstances underwhich I interact with whites at Princeton, it often seems as if, to them, I will always be black first and a student second.” I don’t know if FLOTUS is depressed or just perpetually petulant.  The above plaintive whine  is from her senior thesis at Princeton.  Poor little thing.  After experiencing the top of the heap of educational privilege – where’s the joy?  And after all the years that have passed since she wrote that, I don’t think anything has changed: she sees herself as black first and FLOTUS second.  Where’s the joy?

Marguerite, let’s just call it the Day of Whine and no Roses.
    Michelle, Queen of Kvetch found the lid to her pot, the King of Chutzpah – a pair that beats a three-of-a-kind at any poker table.

People thought that the Demoncrat party gave up on having slaves after they got a bunch of Southerners and Union soldiers killed. But in truth? They just found a better and easier way to make blacks into slaves.

Some blacks have found it out as well. http://afrocityblog.wordpress.com/2010/05/08/liberal-hypocrisy-files-you-can-choose-to-where-to-abort-but-not-where-to-education/

Obama tells blacks to take public education. While he refuses to send his kids to DC’s public education. The aristocrats get everything, while the serfs get nothing but a boot up their arse. That’s how it works, Danny. That’s how it always works for those that seek power without a single intention of giving anything back except an IOU.

“If I was a young Black man and all I listened to was people like Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakhan, Rev. Wright and Al Shartpton, I wouldn’t want to get out of bed in the morning, much less take the initiative to make something of my life. The damage these so-called black leaders have done to black people is nothing short of evil.”

The irony is that the Democrats are repeating to a tee the old plantation-era set up where the field slaves were misled and bamboozled by the house slaves Massa recruited for their ability to lie and manipulate. (Of course access to better food and more heat in winter didn’t hurt. Anybody ever see Jesse’s posh Chicagoland digs?)

If we are able to save this country, and the damnable machinations and betrayals of the Democratic Party finally are exposed to sunlight, we will see what race traitors Jackson, Sharpton, Waters, Lee, Rangel and Imam Wright truly were.

…exposed to sunlight, we will see what race traitors Jackson, Sharpton, Waters, Lee, Rangel and Imam Wright truly were.

The bitter irony, Charles, is that once there were no or fewer choices for the black community. 50 years plus later, it’s a choice – Massa comes in more than one color. The big change is that black politicians and liberals profit from their wretched schemes.
    It’s the ultimate black on black crime reminiscent of the original sin from Africa. The $640,000 question (for inflation I added a zero): How far into the future will you, me and Bush be blamed?

Marguerite – just had a giggle recalling Rev. Al in those damn awful sweat suits adorned with just as tasteless gold chains. Quite a roll model for his constituents, particularly if one never aspired to go no further than the curb.