Friday Open Thread

If life hands you lemons, make lemonade, right?  That’s what I’m working on now.  It’s not a big lemon, actually, but a somewhat weird one.  You see, I spend way too much time blogging.  I probably fall neatly in the category of obsessive behavior.  I love the blogging, I love the blog, I love the people I’ve met.

What I don’t love is the fact that I haven’t been able to turn a profit on this one.  That’s the lemon.  I am spending this morning exploring options for turning my passion and obsession into something that actually sees a financial return on time invested.  I’ll be back later today.

Until then, here’s your Open Thread.

Comments

1. pst314 says

“If life hands you lemons, make lemonade, right?”
    No, you should make a lemon battery…to detonate the bomb you’ll make from household materials to blow up the bad guys.
    –MacGyver  :-D

2. pst314 says

“I love the people I’ve met.”
    I’m pretty fond of you, too.
    “I spend way too much time blogging”
    If we were were less polite, would that help you to limit your blogging time? ;-)

3. Spartacus says

“If we were were less polite, would that help you to limit your blogging time?”

Careful with that.  She’s a bloody capitalist, I tell you, and if we get on her bad side, her revenue idea is going to turn out to be charging us commenters by the word.  Then I’ll have to hire some local teen to teach me all those abbreviations they use for texting to keep my costs down.  They say brevity is the soul of wit, so in order to maximize my brevity — or would that count as minimizing? — I’ll have to hire a witty one.

There aren’t all that many ways to maximize revenue on a blog, and I think all the existing ones rely on advertising, both the placement of the ads into your pages and on the “click-through” rate of your “customers” who visit any such ad links.

Please, Book, please please… no popup ads! And no embedded ads that expand their physical boundaries to HIDE your content, forcing us to click “No Thanks”, or “Close Window” in order to continue reading your posts because the damned irritating ads  have expanded to hide what we’re reading!

There’s also subscriptions for your customers for access to “preferred content”, but I’ve never heard of that succeeding on ANY political or social commentary blog.

If life hands you lemons, make lemonade, right?
    Short of a lemonade stand, I think you’re real talent is in the thought provoking questions you ask and how you think through an issue and share the process with us. In a work – THINK. Many [too many] years ago, when my kids were still in school I was aware that there were no courses on critical thinking before they turned 18 and how does a mini-adult begin to sift through choices and particularly with so many mixed messages.

You have shared enough mom and kids questions to fill a book … I think it’s time to bind it. Not every child is fortunate enough to have a mother that not only asks the right questions, but answers them correctly, too.

I think that is because Book here knows that whatever questions she can’t answer, she can get from many of us. Thus she does not feel as insecure as bubble addicts on the Left. She doesn’t have to do everything herself. She can ask us and use our experiences.

Simply the knowledge that she has access to this resource base, allows her to be calm in personal situations where she may not be had she felt she was cut off from any escape avenue.

suek… good ‘nugget’ of advice. BTW…Weiner is a weenie.

It was suggested to me a year ago when it was about $1000. Damn sorry, I couldn’t and didn’t. I wonder what the buy/sell ratio is. It’s not as though ‘if’ I had the gold that converting it into dollars would be worth anything lately.

Are you living in a ‘red’ state – no, not that red...in the red.
    I find myself singing that old Tennessee Ernie Ford song…16 tons and what do you get, another day older and deeper in debt……I owe my soul to the company store.

32 states have run out funds to make unemployment benefit payments and that the federal government has been supplying these states with funds so that they can make their  payments to the unemployed.

I just read an article by JK Dunn over on American Thinker praising Arizona Governor Jan Brewer.

I was wondering what Book thought of her and the article, and what you all thought.  She sounds completely fantastic to me (according to the article).  I haven’t heard anything about her prior to this…  But then again, I haven’t really been paying attention.

We haven’t touched on the oil leak, which doesn’t seem like the right word. A plumber fixes leaks. I have no idea, who or what can fix this, but it doesn’t change what has needed to be done and has not been or how we need to sever our economic ties with Saudi Arabia.

“It is rumored this weekend that Saudi Arabia’s government is trying to figure out who leaked a document that proves that they’ve been funding Al-Qaida in Iraq.”

12. garyp says

Bookworm Readers,
    How about a deal to click on at least one ad each time we visit.  This lady provides us with a lot of food for thought (and enjoyable reading).  If we just spend a minute clicking on ads, Bookworm won’t get rich (although she should) but perhaps she’ll be able to afford to write more.
    Just a thought.
    Regardless, we appreciate what you do.  I visit every day.

Guess it’s time, then, for me to put more ads here.  I’ve always avoided it, going for a small number of select ads, that haven’t gotten clicked much.

Let me look into some discrete advertising.  Just having to click certainly is easy, although I have to admit to finding it irritating as well when I’m at other sites, ’cause it interrupts my “flow.”