According to Muslims, Obama is probably a Muslim

As y’all know, I think Obama is a man who does not believe in any God (except maybe himself), but who has frequently expressed a feeling of affinity with the Muslim world.  An increasing number of Americans, however, do believe that Obama is a Muslim.

Many reasons are given for this growing belief:  Americans are psychopaths, thunders Rev. Wright; they’re racists, shriek the usual suspects; they’re having troubles labeling his apparent alienation from core American values (as evidenced by his manifest disdain for those bitter Americans who cling to guns and God), and therefore append to him an “other” type religion.

But here’s an easy one:  Obama is a Muslim because Muslim law says he’s a Muslim.

Muslim law is pretty clear:  you can’t leave the faith.  Oh, sure you can try.  But even if you’re not killed, you’re still a Muslim, just a really, really bad Muslim.

It’s sort of the violent Muslim version of the Jewish thing, where Jews say of someone, “Oh, he’s Jewish,” even though the last practicing Jew in his family lineage was his great grandfather, back in Russia.  Nobody says that about Christians.   I’ve never heard, “Well, he’s Baptist,” said of someone whose great grandfather converted 100 years ago.  Sure, if the person is famous enough, that fact might show up in his biography, but it’s not going to be used to tag him with a long-forgotten religious affiliation.

But Jews are different and so are Muslims.  No matter what you believe, if you were born into or raised in the faith, it follows you around.

And here’s the deal with Obama:  He was born into the faith via his father and, for a period of years, he was raised in the faith.  Much as the Left likes to tell us that his school in Indonesia was nondenominational, that’s just part of the story about Obama’s religious upbringing.  While it may not have been a religious school, students were still required to state their religion and take religious instruction.  Obama was therefore enrolled as a Muslim and received instruction in that religion.  In his own words, that experience left him truly loving the sound of the Muslim call to prayer.

Does any of the above make Obama, in his own mind, a Muslim?  Absolutely not.  I have no idea what goes on in his mind, but I believe him when he says he’s not a Muslim. After all, the whole Indonesian experience began and ended when he was a little boy.

(As an aside, regarding Obama’s professions to Christianity, well, on the facts, I’m a bit dubious.  As the saying goes, standing in a garage does not make you a car, and going to church, something he’s rather conspicuously failed to do since becoming President, does not make you a Christian.  There has to be some true commitment to and belief in the faith, and, despite 20 years with Rev. Wright, Obama gives scant evidence that Christianity resonates with him at any level, and that’s true despite the prayers send to his Blackberry.  Obama’s Christianity, though, is between Obama and God — assuming he believes in one other than himself — , and most definitely not between Obama and me.  And it’s not between Obama and you, either.  As Queen Elizabeth I famously said, she had “no desire to make windows into men’s souls.”)

But back to the Muslim thing.  I take Obama at his word that he’s not Muslim.  But, just as a Jew is always a Jew, Muslims understand that a Muslim is always a Muslim.  So Americans are probably wrong in assigning genuine religious fervor to a man whose true loves are Big Government and himself (preferably occupying the same chair), but they are technically right in saying, as I’m sure the world’s imams do, that he’ll be a Muslim in name for the rest of his life.

Comments

I was reading a Star-Ledger report (which I cannot find the internet link to, my apologies) on an interview that Obama gave a few years ago.  I couldn’t read the whole thing without getting upset that this wasn’t made more public during the Presidential campaign. To me, at least, here are interesting tell-tale signs of his religious beliefs:

Falsani: Who is Jesus to you?

Obama: Jesus is an historical figure for me, and he’s also a bridge between God and man, in the Christian faith, and one that I think is powerful precisely because he serves as that means of us reaching something higher. And he’s also a wonderful teacher.

I’ve added the emphasis because I think it shows that he is putting on a “show.”  Perhaps, it is just me, but most self-proclaimed Christians will not start out by saying that Jesus was an historical figure.  They usually start with their personal relationship with Jesus and then maybe, or maybe not, metioned that he is from history. His response to this question sounds more like an agnostic professor’s response.  What do others think?

There’s also this:

Falsani:  Do you have people in your life that you look to for guidance?

Obama: Well, my pastor [Jeremiah Wright] is certainly someone who I have an enormous amount of respect for.  I have a number of friends who are ministers . . . Father Michael Pfleger is a dear friend, and somebody I interact with closely.

Again, I added the emphasis.  It seems reading the rest of the interview that Cathleen Falsani seems to know about these two folks and yet, their hateful speech wasn’t brought to the public’s attention by her.  hmmm?

And finally, there are these two exchanges:

Falsani: Do you believe in heaven?

Obama: Do I belive in the harps and clouds and wings?

and,

Falsani: Do you believe in sin?

Obama: yes.

Falsani:  What is sin?

Obama: Being out of alignment with my values?

Actually, I believe that a definition of sin would be out of alignment with God’s values.  So, Book, I hope that you and your readers will not be offended if I simply call him an ass?

Charles,

Most of Obama’s answers simply reveal that he is an ultra-liberal when it comes to Christianity.

But his answer to this one IS really troubling:
    > Falsani: Who is Jesus to you?
    > Obama: Jesus is an historical figure for me, and he’s also a bridge between God and man, in the Christian faith, and one that I think is powerful precisely because he serves as that means of us reaching something higher. And he’s also a wonderful teacher.

The only way Obama wiggles out of this one is that he called Jesus “a bridge between God and man”, which, if you stretch it, COULD allow Obama to claim that he was saying that Jesus is God and not merely man.

However, you could say of any prophet that each of them – while being nothing but Man – serves as “a bridge between God and man”.  I am almost 100% positive that the Muslim faith teaches that Jesus was merely a prophet. and not of God himself, and was, therefore, merely a Man.  That lines up with what Obama actually said, the best.  But the slippery Obama ALWAYS leaves himself an out, and he’s as usual left himself just enough room to wiggle here, with his usual deliberate ambiguity, allowing you to THINK you heard what you heard, when you didn’t really hear what you thought you’d heard at all.

If he didn’t disgust me so endlessly much, I would admire that level of deceitfulness.  ;-)  Obama’s rhetoric is so incredibly slippery that no one should ever talk about Slick Willie again.

I agree; he is trying to have it both ways and be all things to all people by fudging his words and the info he puts out. If he explicitly renounced his Muslim ties in no uncertain terms, he would be an apostate in the eyes of Muslims (a stoning offense, in some places). He has claimed to be a Christian, but the evidence is not convincing, leaving enough room for lots of “wink-wink nudge-nudge”. The best I can make out is he has no belief in anything larger than himself, unless it is far-left idealogy (consistent with atheism). But he knows a non-religious leader in almost all venues would be most impolitic, and so he dances around it.

4. Gringo says

A typical person would answer that Jesus is the Son of God.  An intellectual might answer that Jesus is one part of God’s Triune nature.  A Christian would emphasize that Jesus is a part of God and is not merely “Man”.But you are right, NO Christian would lead with “Jesus is an historical figure for me.”

Unitarians are of the opinion that Jesus was a man and not the son of God. Obama’s mother and grandparents belonged to a Unitarian church in the Seattle area, and IMHO, also in Hawaii. I believe I have read that Obama also attended a Unitarian church in Hawaii in his youth.

Disclaimer: in high school I was a a member and officer  of Liberal Religious Youth, an affiliation of the Unitarian Universalist Chursh. Double disclaimer: a family photo album has a photo of a uber-great uncle who was a Universalist minister. Big beard. ( Universalist and Unitarian churches merged circa 1960.)
    Yes, Garrison Keillors jokes about Unitarians are on target.

5. jj says

Your third and fourth paragraphs are it, and are in fact all of it.  Remove the “probably” from the title: he’s a Muslim, period.  W#hat goes on in his own mind is entirely irrelevant to Islam.

And the other interesting thing is that twenty years in Wright’s ‘church’ buys him a bullet as an apostate, which must make the secret Service happy.

The Muslim doctrine of taqiyah, which grants believers permission to lie to infidels if it advances Allah’s cause, gives The One a pass. Smart Muslims know that Obama is, at the very least, a fellow traveler, and that he is licitly lying to shield himself from the consequences of being exposed as one.

In his own words…

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A public opinion poll showing Americans are increasingly convinced, wrongly, that he is Muslim does not trouble him, President Barack Obama said on Sunday.

“It’s not something that I can, I think, spend all my time worrying about it,” Obama said in an interview with NBC News, dismissing the results of a recent Pew Research Center.

In mine..

He really doesn’t give a damn what any of us think.