Things non-Muslim defenders of Islam should know

Says David French:

One of the more interesting phenomena of recent times has been the cultural elite’s aggressive defense of Islam. Whether they’re decrying the alleged “Islamophobia” of their fellow Americans, storming off TV sets, offering impassioned defenses of religious liberty, or offering uninformed theological statements about the religion’s alleged true nature, many of our most educated and politically aware citizens are united in outrage. A great religion is under attack, they say, and it’s under attack by a bigoted citizenry who let the actions of a tiny few define the nature of the many.

But what do they actually know about Islam?

Please read the whole thing here.

Hat tip:  The Anchoress:

Comments

1. excathedra says

I have had a couple of these pointless arguments. Not any more. Now I start any discussion like this by first asking for a summary of what my argument partner knows about Islam, if they have read the Koran, know the differences between Sunni and Shia, if they have read Sharia law, or the history of Muslim expansion or the life of Muhammad. That usually ends it right there.
    I continue to believe that most of these know-little-or-nothing defenders of Islam respond as they do for two reasons. First, they actually treat Islam as a race, a non-white Third World race and all their liberal internal hysteria about seeming racist kicks in. Second, the logical outcome of progressivism, even if many progressives or liberals repress this truth, must be a hatred and loathing of America and so any group that hates America must somehow be justified. It is a pitiful condition.

Good call, ex. It’s a shame that so many “progressives” don’t realize that the attitude you’ve described is an out-and-out instance of “The enemy of my enemy is my friend.” If only the ones that are still reachable could see that.

Question to a Liberal: “Islam is the only major religion in the world that openly commands its followers to kill other people of other beliefs. Why do you think that is?”

I love these Leftists talking about theocracy in America and how everybody should be afraid of the Religious Right for that, then you find out that they are open admirers and supporters of Islam.

That’s hilarious. That’s even more hilarious than what HelenL said about white supremacy.

5. Gringo says

excathedra
    I have had a couple of these pointless arguments. Not any more. Now I start any discussion like this by first asking for a summary of what my argument partner knows about Islam, if they have read the Koran..

It would behoove me to read and digest the Bible thoroughly, which I have sporadically sampled over the years, before I tackle the Koran.
    A good question to ask is, “What was the difference in worldview that caused science to advance in Europe and stagnate in the Islamic world a China  after 1300?”

Question to a Liberal: “Why do so many religious muslim Men feel obligated to kill, beat-up, whip, cover-up and otherwise demean Muslim women? Is there something wrong with Muslim women?”