Another conversation with a liberal: “You won’t like it, because I say no one else does” *UPDATED*

My liberal friend and I were talking about having pizza for dinner.  I suggested Round Table.  My friend was appalled.

Liberal Friend:  “Round Table is awful.”

Me:  “I like it.”

Liberal Friend:  “It’s awful.  Just go on Yelp.”

Me:  “Why should I go on Yelp?  That’s helpful if I haven’t been some place and am trying to get I feel for it.  I’ve already been to Round Table, and I know that I like it.”

Liberal Friend:  “It gets terrible reviews on Yelp.”  (This is untrue, by the way.  The service gets mixed reviews but, by and large, our local Round Table ranks pretty darn well in Marin, ahead even of some of the fancy “artisan” pizza places.)

Me: “But I like it.  The fact that others don’t is irrelevant to me.”

Liberal Friend:  “Nobody likes it.  I’m not going to let you eat pizza that nobody likes.”

Yes, it was an insane little conversation.  It was also, in its own peculiar way, an instructive one, because it shows the statist mind at work.  An individual’s opinion is irrelevant.  What matters is the way the collective thinks — or, more accurately, the way the liberal thinks the collective ought to think.

Cross-posted at Right Wing News

UPDATE:  We ended up having Dominos.  The service was excellent.  The pizza wasn’t to my taste.  I like Round Table pizza, no matter what anyone tells me to like.

Comments

1. Spartacus says

1) Sweet irony.  The owner of Domino’s is some fellow in the Midwest who is seriously Catholic and donates heavily to pro-Life causes.  Your friend would have done better to stop at the suggestion of Round Table.  But of course, libs would have long ago wiped us out had they not an irresistable propensity to undermine their own purposes.

2) And your friend really missed a golden opportunity to ace the debate.  All that needed to be said, in a Graham Chapman accent, was, “On second thought, let’s not go to Round Table.  It is a silly place.”  What lover of art, literature, and legend could resist such a clarion call from the historic bowels of Western Civilization?

” The owner of Domino’s is some fellow in the Midwest who is seriously Catholic and donates heavily to pro-Life causes. ”

of course the local franchise owner is more likely to be Marin Democrat instead.

So did you bring the kids too, Book?

“Nobody likes it.  I’m not going to let you eat pizza that nobody likes.”

Liberal friend called you a ‘nobody’.  King Arthur he is not – just a knightmare!

4. suek says

My response…”have you ever _tried_ Round Table?”

And you know…I’d just _have_ to play with this person.  Buy a Dominoes pizza – or snag a box from someone…hey…maybe out of a trash can!! … and then buy a Round Table pizza.  Pull out the Domino’s box with the RT pizza and serve.  Await comment.  No comment?  person can’t tell the difference.  Other comments you can then comment upon as appropriate.

To be honest – I like Little Caesar’s Hot and Ready.  Can’t beat the price.  True, you can only get plain cheese or pepperoni … but on a Friday night??  works for me.  I can stop on the way home, pick one up, have it still hot by the time I get home and feed 3 people on $5.50 (well…$5.41 to be exact) with absolutely no effort.  If I were going with a friend for something of a treat, I’d go to Topper’s.  They’re a Southern California chain – but I don’t know how wide spread they are.  I suspect a _lot_ of people feel the same way – on Friday nights about 6PM, Little Caesar’s has a line out the door.  They can hardly make them fast enough.  Definitely not gourmet, but also not bad.

Sadie – you read my mind.

I also read that conversation with the viewpoint that Book’s “friend” just called her a nobody!

But, it really goes to show how some people (mainly many liberals) cannot think for themselves – they need someone else to tell them what to think  – even when it comes to what food to like or not like.

Book, your friend sort of reminds me of a college roommate I had who commented on my record collection stating that it was “weird”  because I had such a wide range of tastes (classical and baroque to hard rock and jazz) with nothing that anybody would like.  I responded that it didn’t matter what others thought of my music collection, *I* liked it and that was all that mattered!

(P.S. – Sadie, I love your puns – “knightmare!?” LOL)

6. Gringo says

Me:  … I’ve already been to Round Table, and I know that I like it.”

As others have commented, this shows that many libs make their decisions by groupthink, not by logic. If “everybody’s doing it”-  everybody in THEIR group- it’s fine. Talk about busybody arrogance. This is a fine example that “diversity” doesn’t count for a lib when one disagrees with a lib. Libs know best. The hell with diverse opinions that disagree with the libs!

Not anymore. Tom Mohaghan sold his controlling interest in Domino’s Pizza in 1998 to a private firm. Domino’s  Pizza is now a publicly traded company.

Charles, my temptation would have been to stomp on his foot so hard, he would YELP!

Doesn’t matter if it’s food or music, liberals insist on making it a personal attack and usually by degradation.
    You have ‘weird’ taste in music or Bookworm has no taste in pizza. Hmm…wonder how they feel about puns ;

8. suek says

I think that next time I wanted to have lunch with my “friend”, I’d say … “I’m going to Round Table for pizza.  Would you like to join me?”  Response expected: “Oh no…etc”.   Your response:  “Oh I’m so sorry you won’t join me.   Maybe another time.”  Out the door…

When a liberal hears a pun, he groans. Not because he gets the pun but because he wants to signal his solidarity with the English language, which is victimized whenever someone puns =cough= =SADIE=

There’s no pizza west of the Hudson.  It may be good, but it ain’t pizza.
    Semantics are problematic. What the call pizza east of the Hudson, we call Italian-seasoned flat bread. Now for real pizza, with real flavor, lotsa meat and  real fresh veggies on a real pizza crust, come to Chicago. It may be the one attribute of Chicago that has been perfected rather than corrupted.

Most Liberals I know have an overarching need to be looked upon favorably by their peers. Therefore they will say and do what they believe their peers would want them to do rather than think for themselves. I have to believe that this is their Achilles heel.

Have you ever experienced a Liberal’s reaction when you tell them that what they believe or do is not good but rather enabling evil? It is devastating to them.

“Therefore they will say and do what they believe their peers would want them to do rather than think for themselves. I have to believe that this is their Achilles heel.”

Of course it is. Ever hear of Sun Tzu on the matter of the acme of battle skill? This kind of weakness makes it almost inevitable for a victory without blood because once we get to a position of telling the Libs the Gospel Truth, they will now become our cannon fodder fighters.

“It is devastating to them.”

The reason why the KGB planned to get rid of most Libtards after they have conquered America is that these people get dangerous on a percentage basis once they realize the truth. A lot of them, the paper pushers and the crowd followers, will remain neutered sheep. But the true believers, the activists, the organizers, the propagandists, and the wet work specialists, when they get to know the truth they will often sour on the Communist Regime and turn their talents to sabotage and anti-regime activities. This is why Iran created a “anti-counterrevolutionary” force.

We have already seen how much knowledge defectors from the Left here in America have brought with them. Andrew Klavan, for example. Breitbart. Various other individuals too numerous to name or count.

They are like Soviet defectors from the KGB> They know their stuff. Far better than the lackadaisical Westerners.

I agree with Danny and SADIE about the pizza and cheese steaks thing. You can get good “pizza” in the Bay Area, but all it does is remind you of the dripping good takeaway slices you can get anywhere in NYC.

Forget cheese steaks. A coupla places around here sell facsimiles, but they know and you know that they’re the equivalent of exiled Russians in Manchuria opening a deli so they pretend that Moscow isn’t 5,000 miles down the road.

I have to go online to get Tastykakes, then wait 10 days for them to arrive via UPS. It’s worth it of course: Ain’t nothing like a butterscotch Krimpet to coat the mouth with sugary goodness. California has nothing remotely like them.

Every big U.S. city has something that can’t be duplicated. I’m not a fan, but Cincinnati chili just doesn’t taste the same anywhere else. The finest French dip sandwich in America is at Phillppe’s in Los Angeles, which sells 9-cents-per-cup coffee, has sawdust on the floors, serves chow on paper plates and draws everybody from the Archbishop to the chief of police to yuppies, to postal workers to Mexican day laborers to panhandlers.

In San Francisco, the sourdough bread is the best on the planet. Some day the local starters—the mother yeasts that date back to Gold Rush days—are the result of a combination of water, ambient temperature and humidity found only around San Francisco.

There’s a potato chip factory (sorry, can’t remember the name) in Logan, Utah, that makes the best BBQ chips I’ve ever tasted. There’s a lot to be said to buying chips at a Safeway that’s half a mile down the road from the source.

It would be interesting to hear from others here what foods or beverages their cities or regions produce that they think are the best of their kind. I know, for instance, that SADIE makes great puncakes, but am intersted in what kind of syrup she puts on them.

Book, to this day my wife and I fondly remember a Round Table combination pizza we had in the autumn of 1981 in Sonora, a small town in the gold country.

…but am intersted in what kind of syrup she puts on them.

On weekends: Punapple
    If it’s ethnic cuisine I crave, the obvious – punjabi curry sauce ;

16. SGT Dave says

Charles,
    I’m a KC guy by birth and there’s a few things that are tops in this area – but the hands-down all time is Arthur Bryant’s for barbeque, especially the beef brisket and the burnt ends.  The one downtown is only a few blocks from my great-grandfathers’ brass and machine shops (two great grandfathers – one in each shop).  The original day cook down at Bryant’s would serve you the only thing on the menu at that time – thin sliced, slow-smoked beef brisket on Wonder bread with fries and pickles.  The smoker is a converted two-story bakery oven from the original construction; they built a conveyor system to smoke the meat properly and move it around in the heat.  Zarda has better bbq beans; JackStacks has great pork; Gates does hickory smoked turkey that has to be eaten to be believed.  But overall, until you’ve had Bryant’s, you’ve never had truly wonderful beef BBQ.

I’d put Hereford on the list, too – fifty plus years as a top-notch steakhouse is hard to cap.  Some places do some things better, but a fine, dry aged KC strip at the place that first served that cut.  Ah, history.  We’ve got some fun food here, too, including a place down on Crown Plaza that delivers the food by miniature railway to your table.

Oh, and as far as pizza – yes, you have NY and Chi-town.  But in Columbia, MO, you have Shakespeares.  And in a little place called Kirksville, you have Pagliai’s – now delivering the semi-world famous ronza (you’d have to be there) to alumni and former residents via FedEx in response to demands.  My wife would toss in Imo’s, a St. Louis chain, for their “square beyond compare”; their cheese mix has provel, adding a great touch.  We both can’t forget Arris’ pizza, downtown Jefferson City, MO, where the greek-style thin crust with outrageous toppings (they’ve been doing shrimp pizza since the ’70s) is consumed by everyone, from students skipping out of a nearby Catholic school to the governor walking out the front door of the Capital building, crossing the lawn and High Street, and dropping in for a triple-pepperoni and bacon bit with extra cheese with an ambassador from somewhere in Asia (in town to talk about economic development and a visit from the MO Guard for an engineering “nation builder” program).

It’s all good; I’ve eaten NY pie by the slice just outside Rockefeller and Chicago deep dish two blocks from Soldier Field.  I’m a thin and crispy guy, so Arris’ and Imo’s are more my style.  But give me a ronza and I’ll be content.

SSG Dave
    “Good food is the lubrication of society.  A nation shall not endure that has no comestible that endears.”

I went to a Korean BBQ buffet. They have this gas grill set into the table where you take some raw meat and place it on there.

It’s like that Japanese thing you see in tv shows where they sit over an open grill, except this one also has some of the normal buffet items like spaghetti or corn or sushi or what not. The meat comes up pretty juicy or crisp depending on how long you want to cook it. Compared to other buffet type foods, it is also fresher as a result.

Sadie, the Xanth world is made out of puns. Meaning the magic system can be created with puns, the geography and names of things are puns and so forth.

The Japanese have taken puns to a whole other level. Because they now teach English from almost kindergarten to high school and college, a lot of Japanese individuals of the younger generations now know almost as much English words as they do Japanese. They may not know the grammar very well but they don’t find it hard in understanding English nouns and such. This means that when the Japanese do puns, they like to string together a Japanese phrase and then use the sound to mimic an English phrase.

That is what they call “horrible” puns there. Be scared now, that the puns are now assimilating more languages people.

Where we’re raised matters a lot.  As a native San Franciscan, I’m not that fond of either pizza, Mexican or barbecue.  What I like is Asian Food.  If you’re ever in the city, I highly recommend Yank Sing, which serves divine dim sum.  Or, if you want the full meal, Ton Kiang, which serves Hakka cuisine, from northern China.  For vegetarian Asian food, Golden Era is the place, although the neighborhood is a bit dicey.

As world renown as it is, Chicago’s pizza is not its greatest culinary creation. Nope – it’s the Italian Beef sandwich, with giardiniera peppers and mozzarella.

21. suek says

“Soul food” is just another name for food like Mama used to make…  We _all_ have soul food -not just blacks.  It’s just that it’s _different_ soul food…!

22. SGT Dave says

SueK,
    Not fish gravy; boulibase.
    Anyhow, with sushi you just have to fillet in the mood.

SSG Dave
    “I don’t care if Artie choked on it, I ain’t gonna” – Little Rascals

SGT Dave, what a great rundown of KC’s treasures! I’ve only been in KC once, and that was 40 years ago passing through on the Interstate. But as a dedicated armchair traveler, I’ve kept tabs on it ever since. I like the city’s size, skyline, jazz history and reputation for meat. And now, thanks to you, I know just where to go when I finally hit town again.

Book, I agree, Yank Sing has killer dim sum. Out on Geary, Ton Kiang does great dim sum business—the dishes fly out the door to feed a mostly Chinese clientele. My wife and I often will slip into the City via the Presidio and 25th Avenue to get our dim sum fix at Ton Kiang while avoiding SF’s congested downtown traffic.

24. suek says

Won’t work, SSG Dave.     Bouillabaisse is stew…not gravy!!  Gravy is a fat/oil plus flour plus a liquid, usually the liquid being that in which the item being “gravied” is cooked.  So you could use the bouillabaisse to make a gravy, but by itself, it’s fish stew by another name.  And if I keep typing it here, I might actually remember how to spell it!  German might have some ridiculously long names, but at least you spell them like they sound!

My mother always said she couldn’t make gravy.  Or pancakes.  So my Dad had to make them.  I really could never understand why.  I suspect it was a cultivated inability.
    Lately, I’ve found a new -easy -way to make “no fuss” gravy…   Start with a tablespoon or two of whatever fat is appropriate, add onions, either chopped or sliced (add shallots if you have them – makes it better!) and mushrooms if you have them.  Cook till clear or slightly browned, as you prefer.  Sprinkle about two tablespoons of flour  over the mix and mix in well to coat the onions and mushrooms.  Add about a can of chicken broth and bring to a boil to thicken, stirring all the while.  Add a bit of water if it’s too thick.  You won’t have any lumps.
    Of course, this is basically the method of making a roux and adding fluid, but coating the onions/mushrooms with flour just makes it almost like an “instant” kind of gravy!

Suek, my only recommendation to add to your excellent roux recipe is to emphasize why it is so important to stir the flour into the first (or melted butter) first: you want to coat the flour with fat so that it slows the absorption of the fluid (soup, water, juice) into the flour particles to keep the flour from forming lumps.

Also, keep on low heat so that the moisture doesn’t evaporate too fast as your are stirring it into the fat/butter/flour mixture.

We Frenchies may not know much, but we do know our sauces.

26. suek says

But Danny…

I _don’t_ stir the flour into the fat first..that’s the whole point!  In the past, I would have done so…and cooked the onions and whatever in a separate pan to be added later, when the gravy was finished.  Now I don’t – I cook the onions and whatever, then coat _them_ with flour, then add the liquid.  Works for curry as well, by the way.  Just add both flour _and_ curry powder and then add the broth.

And yes…you Frenchies do indeed know your sauces!  They sure do remedy the same ole same ole, don’t they!  Change the sauce and you have a whole new something – even if it is actually the same old something you had last night!