As good a summary as any about the Left’s libels

Dennis Prager hits it out of the park:

People are awakening to the crucial fact of left-wing success: The only way the Left can succeed in America is by libeling the Right. Only 20 percent of Americans label themselves liberal, let alone leftist. How, then, do leftists get elected? And why don’t more Americans call themselves conservative, when, in fact, so many share conservatives’ values?

The answer to both questions is that, through its dominance of the news media, entertainment media, and educational institutions, the Left has been able to successfully demonize the Right for at least half a century.

The Left rarely convinces Americans to adopt its views. What it does is create a fear of the Right that influences many Americans to align themselves with the Left.

That precisely describes why I was a Leftist for so many years.  I didn’t understand the issues very well, and I was hazy on the facts, but it was enough to know that I “good” and they were “evil.”  Moreover, as someone who lives in a Leftist world, I can tell you that arguments are never about facts, they are always about the conservative’s personal failings:  mean-spirited, ignorant, confused, brainwashed, etc.

The whole thing is here.

Comments

Propaganda works, Book. The more ignorant the people are on illusion crafting, the easier they are to manipulate.

I’ve said it many times. And it doesn’t get any less true after numerous repetitions.

If it works so well, why don’t people use it against the Left? The dirty truth people don’t want to face is that people refuse to use it because of two reasons.

1. They have moral objections over doing anything useful.

2. They lack the capability even if they wanted to.

Yellow Star of David ring a bell.

It’s called “demonizing your opposition”.
    Remember, Saul Alinsky’s “Rules for Radicals” was dedicated to Lucifer.
    Yes…there is evil in this world. It’s just that most people don’t believe it exists.

5. Libby says

Yeah – anyone not on board with the liberal/left worldview or policy is branded as ignorant, sexist, racist, bigoted, homophobic, classist, xenophobic, extremist, etc.. There is no such thing as a good faith disagreement with a Leftist, it is merely a sign of a defect in you for not agreeing with them.
    Hmmmmm….It’s not unlike the West’s relationship with radical Islam. We want to ‘live and let live’ and debate any differences in good faith while they just want to conquer us. And any assertion of Western values is branded Islamophobic.

6. TommyC says

When I was young and liberal, I didn’t argue with conservatives.  I just called them stupid and fascist.  What more was necessary?  Me good, they bad.

Now that I am conservative, I get called lots of bad names, but I find it almost impossible to get a liberal to engage in honest debate.

I suppose we could attempt the same tactics, but here is the problem.  Liberals honestly think that the difference between them and conservatives is that they are good people and conservatives are bad people.  Conservatives tend to think that liberals just haven’t thought things out enough.  So, in spite of their ‘reality-based’ rhetoric, liberals demonize conservatives while conservatives try to reason with liberals.

7. Wolf Howling says

At the heart of the demonizing for the past half century has been the race card.  From its successful use has come the countless variants as described above.

For 50 years it has worked, but it is starting to fall apart.  The race card is losing all legitimacy and “white flight” from the Democratic Party is so severe that one our nations premeir race baiters, Rep. John Lewis, is in the paper today stating “Hey, racist crackers, all is forgiven, come back.”  Well, perhaps that may be a paraphrase, but it is in fact an accurate one.

Bookworm: it was enough to know that I “good” and they were “evil.”

The topic in the last couple of threads is that the “Left” and “Democrats” and “Pelosi” and “progressives” are authoritarian socialists which is apparently the same as “communists” and “fascists.”

Zachriel, that is a completely unfair and limited description of theose threads and I’m sorry you feel that way.  Outside of some bickering (perhaps necessary, I don’t know) over terms, I’ve seen those thread as a discussion of government power versus individual freedom, and the Left and Pelosi being accused only of being in favor of expansion of the former to the detriment of the latter.  The label you put on them is unimportant.

I was going to comment that the nice thing about your visit to our Bookwormroom was that you were trying to reason back with us.  Come, let us get past the labels and reason together.

“The only way the Left can succeed in America is by libeling the Right.”

Don Quixote: that is a completely unfair and limited description of theose threads and I’m sorry you feel that way.

Yes, it was overstated. We will retract the statement and restate it thusly: A frequent topic in the last couple of threads is that the “Left” and “Democrats” and “Pelosi” and “progressives” are authoritarian socialists which is apparently the same as “communists” and “fascists.” Their words.

Just so you know, it’s called irony.

Thank you, Zachriel.  I’m just curious, why do you constantly use the royal “we” on yourself?

Just so you know, irony, like sarcasm often gets lost in print.  I read and write legal briefs for a living and tend, therefor, to write and read quite literally.  Irony and sarcasm are not well received in legal briefs.

Don Quixote: I’m just curious, why do you constantly use the royal “we” on yourself?

A number of theories have been proposed.  If Zachriel were legion.

group of poseurs
    ultimate expression of internet group think
    hive
    commune of pedants
    committee
    weird cult
    collective pseudonym like Bourbaki
    five people
    collective
    tri-unity
    being of more than one mind
    royalty
    schizophrenic
    gaggle of grad students
    Jovian clique
    someone with a tapeworm

If it will help keep your mind from wandering, we will try to remember to use the singular. Ahem,

I, Zachriel.

This is just like the movie poster for “Ninotchka” in 1939 that showed Greta Garbo in mirth: “She laughs!” it proclaimed.

Whatta ya know, the Royal Z shows a glimmer of humor.

(I think the “we” is either a habit he picked up from too many video games centered on medieval fantasies or an annoyingly adolescent tic he picked up, namely, irritate the adults as much as he can.)

Anyway, Z kid, nice to see you let down the pose.

I was feeling pretty sure that Z was having fun with the royal “we” for a week now. #14 proves it.  Some of those are drop-dead hilarious!  Well done!

For some reason, “being of more than one mind” gives me the giggles.  I really like “Jovian clique”, too.

How about “WWF wrestling tag team”?

The Sultan Of Smash responds to Charles Martel, yawns, and gets up from the computer.  Walks over to Dr. Doom, taps him on the shoulder.  “I’m all tapped out for the evening.  It’s your turn.”

Dr Doom sighs.  “Man, not in the middle of American Idol.  Crap.”  Wanders over to the table. “Oh, Danny L. has responded.”  Dr. Doom does a rhetorical run to the corner, climbs up on the post and tries to belly smash Danny L. to the canvas.  But Danny L slides away, then leaps and locks him in the Scissors of Death!  Oh no!  What’s going to happen now?