How does the military feel about Obama now?

Do you remember this video contrasting the Marines’ response to Bush and to Obama?

The video came out very early in Obama’s presidency, when he was a relatively unknown quantity with regard to the military.  Now that he’s been in office for more than two years, do you think the video is still valid, or has the military warmed up to him?

Comments

Did you notice that Bush went out of his way to wear informal attire and to shake hands with individuals in BUDs, not officer’s dress uniform?

Obama seems much more formal and cold turkey natured, even though his love of PHOTO SHOOTS would almost demand him to get some of that. That implicates Obama’s actions as more forced and unnatural, with Bush’s actions (given his dislike of the media spotlight) as more of a natural grace to give people photographs that he knows they are shooting and keeping for their personal collection.

I would take any clip showing the president and troops together with a grain of salt. If there is genuine liking for the man, it will easily show. If there’s not, I could see where officers who’d like to be promoted and know they’re being watched might “encourage” solidiers to cheer a little more loudly than they might really want to.

Either way, the clip only tells me about that one sliver of time in that one location. But if we ever reach the point where no amount of wheedling or barking orders can persuade a group of hand-picked soldiers to cheer for the president, be wary—we’ll have taken a big step toward civil war.

3. macbrun says

I don’t believe the military has warmed up to Obama at all. Despite Bush’s faults (and he had several), there was never any doubt, never any question, that he loved those in the military. He honestly felt the burden of command and the significance of sending someone out to risk their lives. He was always respectful and still does so much to to help wounded warriors and the families of the fallen. Contrast that with Obama always needing the spotlight shining on himself, and his inability to show any humility. He also wasted no time claiming credit for that “gutsy call” to shoot Osama. No, he has no idea how to respect our military and he does nothing to earn their respect.

4. Libby says

I can’t imagine that his recent lending of our troops for “kinetic military action” in Libya and his taking most of the credit for Bin Laden’s death have earned him any new fans in the military.

Obama also manipulated training schedules that switched two Stryker brigades between Afghanistan and Iraq, when both were trained and scheduled for their original (non-switched) theater.

This caused stress and problems to build up and decreased the efficiency of those troops, a serious matter given the nature of combat in Afghanistan.

But guess what. They would normally pick up those problems and use it as anti-American propaganda to demoralize the war effort. But Obama is President so you can rest assured. See how great the Great Black Hope is.

The military is not of 2 minds on anything. Most often they are about 4 minds on something. Navy, Air Force, Marine, and Army ways.

And within each branch, you will have competing views often wise. What makes a military a military is how well they can work together despite differences in personality, politics, and beliefs. Not to mention command styles.

However, for military meet and greets, dog and pony shows, the view of the enlisted and the officer corps are most often dictated by their superiors and their fellow peers. If their peers snicker at the thought of a military man tough guy Obama image, so will the rest.

7. transphat says

Tried to post earlier and wordpress ate it. I’ll recap my previously brilliantly-expressed thoughts:
    I’ve been an Air Force officer for 23 years and my overall feelings towards Obama can be best by summed as: meh.
    The majority of the military didn’t vote for him, but my initial fears haven’t come to pass.
    Gitmo is still open, no serious timeline to exit Afghanistan, continued the surge, kept Bush’s SecDef, and even started a new ‘Kinetic Military Action’ for giggles. I tried to put ‘kinetic military action’ in my last OPR (performance report), it didn’t make it. Code Pink’s heads should be exploding by now.
    For the most part he’s commanded as a realist and hasn’t tried to stuff anything really unpopular down the military’s throat. I think he knows he’s vulnerable on that front and treads lightly. Just my opinion from 39,000 ft, guys with boots on the ground may see it differently.
    I’ll still put off my retirement for a year in the hope to have someone else’s signature on my retirement orders.
    Lt Col transphat

8. Oldflyer says

I don’t know about the active duty; although I have my suspicions.  I do know how the retired military within my correspondence circle feels.  I don’t wish to sully your forum with profanity, so I will leave it there.

9. jj says

Ditto, Flyer.  I am surrounded by all ranks, all services, retired and active, as a function of where I live.  It’s mostly profane.  They ain’t impressed.  Not only ain’t they impressed, they ain’t even vaguely favorable.

My understanding is that the military intelligence community was disgusted that the Obama administration had to go out right away and brag about killing Osama bin Laden when, had they kept their silence for even 12-48 hours, the information trove collected might have let them hit quite a few other top terrorists before the information filtered out. As it was, a great opportunity was lost.

Danny Lemieux: My understanding is that the military intelligence community was disgusted that the Obama administration had to go out right away and brag about killing Osama bin Laden when, had they kept their silence for even 12-48 hours, the information trove collected might have let them hit quite a few other top terrorists before the information filtered out.

The original plan was to get in and out without Pakistan knowing. However, the helicopter crash precluded such a scenario.

Danny Lemieux: True – however, the military was counting on confusion and embarrassment at the Pakistani levels as slowing the dissemination of what really happened. In situations like this, every hour matters.

Might have worked—if there wasn’t a smashed American stealth helicopter in the middle of suburbia.

Danny Lemieuxhad they kept their silence for even 12-48 hours …

There was approximately eight hours between the bin Laden’s death and Obama’s announcement, which was at 11:30 EDT. The Pakistanis were briefed shortly after the Americans had evacuated.

15. Oldflyer says

It was not just the announcement of the raid that hurt the intelligence effort.  They bragged very publicly about the great treasure trove that was recovered.
    Z, you may recall that Panetta eventually became alarmed enough to issue a gag order.  Too bad he couldn’t gag the WH crowd.

Don’t forget that, from what we have been able to determine, information was being passed between Al Qaeda cells through foot couriers. That takes time.

This compound was secluded, but near a major Pakistani military base. The SEAL team members didn’t clean up the scene, so it was kinda obvious something had happened the moment anyone went through the door. Including the fact that there isn’t any door there.

Z also doesn’t understand how loud helicopters are.

The moment the Pakistanis knew the US had been somewhere near X military base, their search time would have went dramatically down. Instead of taking days for them to have someone sent to the compound to check, they now do it immediately. And instead of it being a surprise and locking up the OODA loops of the observers, people expected something bad so when superiors in the Paki world heard from their idiot grunts on the ground that there was a shootout at Y compound, the superiors would actually believe it and relay it to the media and their terrorist allies.

The fact that Z can’t seem to run his thoughts through this, getting tripped up by “big explosion on a landed helicopter” speaks, not volumes, but Z-sentences.

Z made the mistake here of forwarding an opinion that affirms his biased and incorrect views. He should not have done so. He should have used his tried and true method of saying a bunch of stuff but not being concrete on any specific detail.

You’re slipping Z. It’s too easy to correct your misplaced claim that if it wasn’t for a helicopter malfunction, the enemy would have been kept ignorant. Once that option is ignored for what it is, we then find the true culprits. It’s tough, not being able to say 100% contradictory things just to throw stuff off. Reality is that AQ and the Taliban were notified relatively quickly. Z can’t deny that like he usually does using a 180 degree denial of conservative truth. So he has to ad lib, and makes obvious mistakes.

19. Beth says

To Transphat:  My husband served in the USAF under Bush Sr/Clinton/Bush JR and we loved our time in the military.  Would have gone anywhere in the world for our Commander in Chief–and did.  But now that our children are graduating high school and considering careers, joining the military under the CINC of Obama makes me cringe!  That and the DADT overturned:  What say you?  Is our military still THE place to find conservative, solid, intelligent, hard-working and God-fearing folks that we met and served with from 89-04?

Beth, the military is a long-term commitment that sees us through thick and thin.

After WWI, there was a huge demobilization and the military became an afterthought. Yet, a professional cadre of true martial soldiers was able to mobilize the U.S. in record time upon the renewal of hostilities with WWII and develop an army and navy that defeated far more experienced German and Japanese soldiers using the values instilled in them by the military.

My son is in the military and has found his true home. The Obama administration will come and it will go. The Republic will live on. Semper Fidelis!

21. Dfs says

Here is all you need to know about Barack Obama: He began his political career in the living room of an admitted domestic political terrorist, someone who participated in a plot to kill hundreds of U.S. soldiers stationed at Fort Dix.  And we elected him president.
    I never served — I flunked my precommissioning physical.  But, given the chance to sign a contract with the armed forces again, I would not do so.  It’s not because of who the commander-in-chief is.  It’s because a country that would elect someone who consorts with terrorists has lost its moral compass.

Dfs, remember that the media were complicit in keeping that information from most people. That doesn’t excuse the election of an amoral cipher like Obama, but it does show how one of the most important institutions in our public life deliberately withheld information that it knew would disgust and dismay most normal Americans.

Z didn’t have the link in question when he made his first claims. That says to me that he only found them later, when he went looking for something that agrees with his pre-chosen view.

Does Z, like many others, believe in the myth of the “stealth helicopter”?

So long as the media and the WH didn’t leak the information in order to bolster Democrat polls, nothing would have been definitive on TV.

Does Z believe the media is working for Democrats?

Charles Martel,
    Maybe I’m remembering it all wrong, but I thought that Obama’s friendship with Bill Ayers WAS in the news back in ’08. I know that Jeremiah (God d*mn Amerikkka) Wright was. My impression was that people just didn’t care. They had their hearts set on voting for the “First Black President” and nothing — NOTHING — was going to dissuade them. A lot of people just blocked out any information they didn’t like. I can’t tell you how many of my fellow Catholics I talked to about Obama’s aggressive defense of infanticide (let alone abortion) when he was a state senator. You would think that people would be horrified, right? Well, they were, for a few passing moments, but then they quickly put it out of their minds because it conflicted with the narrative they already had going. I guess I’d agree with you about the media’s culpability in creating that narrative that so captivated people. Once the dreamy hope-n-change narrative was out there, it proved amazingly resilient against facts.

• says

My impression, heartland, was that it got huge play in alternative media, and that the MSM ignored it assiduously. Most of the liberals I know — i.e. Times readers or CNN watchers — knew nothing about it. The only liberals who knew were themselves alternative media consumers and they thought it was pretty awesome.

26. Oldflyer says

Drudge has a story on a Gallup poll that addresses this very question.  Retired and active duty military approve of Obama = 37%.  Non-military = 43%.
    I haven’t read anything about the internals of the poll.

Oh I looked at it already.

I can’t cut any more slack. My government permit expired and I need to renew it.

I would be most interested in seeing a poll divided between Army, Air Force, Navy, and Marines on Obama approval. Then split into officers and enlisted. Then split between submarine force (those guys are crazy more or less to volunteer for claustrophobic assignments that are even more cramped than destroyers and carriers), carrier force, destroyer force, Marine shock infantry, Marine intelligence, Marine flyers, Air Force fighter pilots, Air Force engineers, Army intelligence, Army pilots, Army infantry, Army Special Forces, Marine RECON, Navy SEALs, and etc.

Now that breakdown would provide me some data to crunch on “Obama approval”.

This is why I always wondered how to come up with a better mental defense against these tricks.

You could save a lot of time not being fooled if you had adequate mental defenses against mass deception.

The problem is what to do with the rest of the freak wagon.