New addictions, old problems

I’m definitely an internet addict, but since I’ve got an addictive personality, I’m not surprised. I’ve never been one for drugs, which are anathema to someone who is as much a self-control freak as I am. My addiction has always run to words. It was no surprise to me that I slid from being an old-fashioned bookworm, who compulsively read cereal boxes if there was nothing else available, to being a new-fashioned internet worm. I need that word fix.

I’m too prolix, though, ever to worry about being tweeted and twittered into completely thoughtlessness. When I die, it will be with a thesaurus in one hand and a dictionary in the other — even if they are in e-book form.

Others, though, are less sanguine about the price they pay for their internet addictions.  Rick, at Brutally Honest, has written a very thoughtful and thought-provoking post about the way in which the speed that information comes at us, and the minimalist way in which we seek to convey our own thoughts through Twitter, is flattening out both our intellectual and spiritual prowess.  Read it and do one of two things:  Never turn on the internet again, if you are so inspired, or come back and tell me what you thought.

Comments

1. suek says

I don’t tweet, don’t twitter, and don’t do facebook. On the other hand, I’m truly grateful for your addiction, and enjoy the opportunity for discussion that allows those of us who view things from the same basic values (and even some who don’t) to consider the various angles of daily events.

Normal day to day social interactions simply don’t offer the same opportunity.

I’m like suek, I do none of those things. I do, however, belch and carp, but find few people who share those interests with me.

3. jj says

Don’t do – and, frankly, never understood – facebook, tweeting, twitting, etc.  Do read a lot, though.  Have noticed: Thackeray, Dickens, Trollope, Twain, Stevenson et al are all one big steaming hell of a lot more “ept” at causing submergence in a story than are Khoury, Berry, Robb, and Brown.  That may be at the heart of the problem.  As society in general grows decreasingly literate, does it not follow that those who provide the ‘literature’ are equally decreasingly literate?

Maybe it’s easier to get submerged in the work of those with some clue about what the hell they were doing.  Just a theory.

4. suek says

On the other hand, speaking of tweeting/twittering, I have a nest of titmice (titmouses?) on my patio.  It’s actually an old barn swallow nest that’s been unused over the last 2-4 years.  Don’t know what happened to the original residents – they built it, built it better, raised a couple of broods for 3-4 years and then came no more.  I think the present residents are a titmouse  family ( note how I’m avoiding the plural here) – what a dumb name for a bird!  maybe wrens…I haven’t gotten out the old bird books to ID them.  They have a brood of very loud nestlings, and can “talk” with their mouths full as they fly back and forth with various worms, bugs whatevers.  They fly in and out silently most of the time…but when the cats are out there…yowzes!  squawk time!  I can tell the cats are there without even looking.

They fly in and out silently most of the time…but when the cats are out there…yowzes!  squawk time! I can tell the cats are there without even looking.

Speaking of “squawk time!”, I know when I’ve been away for a day, and I come back in and see I’ve got forty comments to read through on just one of Book’s posts, that our very own resident “contrarian cats” have been out here, and served as catalyst for some hot n heavy back and forth.

Suek, here’s a handy hint: a titmouse is gray, a wren is brown. My guess is that it’s a wren.

Charles M, there’s more of us than you know. We just try to keep our silence.