I wasn’t the only one who let D-Day go unobserved

To my chagrin, I forgot to make my salute to D-Day on this blog.  My head was so taken up with my Midway post, that I simply lost track of time.  Two pivotal battles that changed the course of World War II, one marking the beginning of the end for Japan, and one the beginning of the end for Germany.  They are separated from his by 69 and 67 years respectively, but as they played out in real time, D-Day took place almost exactly after the Battle of Midway.  Both were distinguished by extraordinary bravery, heroism and self-sacrifice on the part of American and, in the case of D-Day, Allied troops.  If we forget these dates, we forget part of what makes the free world great, and that is the willingness to pay for that freedom with our blood, and the blood of our sons and daughters.

I wasn’t the only one who let D-Day go unobserved, although I think I have a better excuse than . . . President (and Commander in Chief of the United States Armed Forces) Obama.  He’s such a disrespectful little weasel.

Comments

1. Mosonny says

I made sure to discuss D-Day with my kids, as well as the battle of Ammunition Hill that made the Israeli retaking of Jerusalem possible, at enormous cost of lives, with the reunification of Jerusalem taking place on June 7.  I told my kids that their grandfather might have died had not the Allies made the crossing of the Channel and the beyond brave charge up the beaches and hills of Normandy.  He was in the camps, and was liberated by the British Army from Bergen Belsen.  My dad never forgot what this country did for him, because, of course, though British and Canadian forces also fought and died at Normandy, and their souls should have a blessing in Heaven, without the strength of the United States and its ability to bring together the greatest force ever known in one place, Hitler might have won the day.

2. Mosonny says

BTW, I didn’t remember so easily either, but once I was reminded, I knew it was imperative to talk about it, so my kids understood what this country had done, that it was a huge force for GOOD in the world.

That the President “forgot”, or deliberately skipped it…either way, it’s disgusting.  The man is the antithesis of a leader for us.  Proves that he hates the US just about every day and every chance he can.

Here is a president who despises his own country yet wolfs down chili dogs, one of the greatest proofs that God exists and loves America, in public.

Sick.

4. Jose says

My father, who was in the Army Air Force at the time, was doing training in Ireland and did not participate in DDay.  However, after Patton began began his push across France, Dad did his part to supply much needed fuel.

The belly tanks used by fighter aircraft for extended range were loaded into the bombbays of B-24 bombers.  The tanks were filled with gasoline and flown from England to captured air strips in France.  These flights weren’t considered combat missions and the crews didn’t get “credit” for them, but I think they must have been extremely dangerous.

Dad recalls landing in France so close to the front line that the buildings were burning when they arrived.  Another time they were stranded because of engine trouble and spent a couple days waiting for help.

Needless to say, he is not impressed with our current commander in chief.

The most extraordinary part of this is that Obama must be surrounded by advisors who didn’t insist that he at least go through the motions of observing D-Day for political reasons.  On the other hand, if they are really that politically tone-deaf it bodes well for 2012.

They know Obama’s smarter than any of the rest of them. So when Obama tells them that he’s the boss and wants to chill, most of the cabinet will just pipe down and do as they are told.

That’s Smart Politics all right.