There’s that condescension again

I’ve been focusing for years, almost to the point of obsession, on Obama’s nasty crack to Hillary during the Democratic primaries.  She said, with rather charming self-deprecation, “I think I’m likeable,” and he sneered in return, “You’re likeable enough, Hillary.”  It was that moment at which I said, “This is not a nice man.”  A more condescending remark I’ve seldom heard.  It was especially inappropriate given their relative status:  he a man, she a woman; he young, she old; he a party neophyte, she a party elder.  It showed misogyny, arrogance, and just plain nastiness.

I thought of that when I heard that Obama is now chastising Perry:

Asked whether Perry’s remarks [some hyperbole about Bernacke's "treasonous" damage to the American economy] were disrespectful, Obama said he would “cut him some slack” as a new candidate.

Who, may I ask, is Obama to cut Perry some slack?  Obama may be president, but in the context of Perry’s statement, they’re simply two candidates squaring off.  Obama can voice an opinion about Perry’s comment, but he doesn’t occupy some higher moral ground that allows him to do the slack cutting.

This is one of those rare occasions where I think Allahpundit is off base, as he thinks Obama struck the correct, “low-key” tone on this one.  While it was low-key to acknowledge a candidate’s learning curve, it was arrogant to “cut Perry slack.”  Once again, Obama is showing that oozing condescension that makes him such a fundamentally charmless figure in American politics.

Comments

1. Libby says

Let’s not forget all of the subtle middle finger scratches and Obama’s “lipstick on a pig comment during the 2008 campaign. He’s just a jerk.

2. Gringo says

What is amusing about NObana’s decision to “cut him some slack” is that Governor Perry has much more executive experience than NObama has. Who should condescend to whom?

Another interesting point is that NObama’s childhood was at a higher economic level than Perry’s.
    Rick Perry is the son of Ray Perry, a World War II tailgunner who flew 35 missions over war-torn Europe, and Amelia Perry, who provided a loving, nurturing home for Rick and his older sister Amelia. Ray and Amelia Perry started out as tenant farmers, providing a modest upbringing for their children. Rick Perry grew up without indoor plumbing the first five years of his life, wore clothes hand-sewn by his mother, and was even bathed in a number 2 washtub as a young boy.

I have also read accounts that Perry family home provided little protection against the winter wind- which is substantial in West Texas.

3. jj says

Gringo is precisely correct.  Even after Obama’s three years in the white house, Perry is far more experienced as an executive – not to mention the obvious: 100% more successful.  Oh, damn – it’s looking like it’s time for somebody to remind me again about how brilliant Obama is.

*Shoes on desk while on phone call to Netanyahu (photo op for arab world).
    *Dalai Lama being led out the back door of WH next to trash pick up (photo op for China).
    *Bowing to foreign heads of state (more photo ops).
    *Saluting (?) the fallen soldiers at Dover AFB (when no photographers were allowed).

Libby, should we call him JOTUS ;)

5. powerlifter says

I think this article is excellent:  Coping With Obama-Induced Irritation Syndrome (OIIS):  A Guide for the Perplexed.  http://tinyurl.com/3tcrowu I have gone from being able to listen to him for a minute or two, to having to mute him, to having to change the channel, to having to turn the tv or radio completely off.  I suffer from the highest possible level of OIIS.

6. Libby says

Great link, DL, but Obama is no Navin R. Johnson – “I am *not* a bum. I’m a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends, and… uh… my thermos…”
    Sadie, I like JOTUS, but I’d prefer former JOTUS.
    Other symptoms of jerkitude:
    * Health Care Summit, where he spoke more than all other participants combined, and shushed McCain with “The campaign is over, John.”
    *Inviting Paul Ryan to sit in the front row for his April 2011 budget defecit speech and then calling Ryan’s plan unpatriotic
    *Obama criticizing the Supreme Court’s recent campaign finance decision at the 2010 State of the Union address

Once again, a woman, Book, shows that they have a better and more nuanced grasp of social “cuts” and communication than a man (Allah Pundit).

Btw, the moment Perry apologizes for something he has said, is the moment he goes into the seas and never comes out again.

Coping With Obama-Induced Irritation Syndrome (OIIS):

powerlifter –

Couldn’t stop giggling until I realized that I have Irritated Vowel Snydrome (IVS) – Every time I see the name oBaMa … I get cramps.

p.s. Libby –  another good list.  He makes a real assterisk of himself.

9. Zhombre says

Obama is a shallow, sanctimonious creep with a gift for mimicry.   He has mimicked being an activist, hipster, law review editor, intellectual, lawyer, legislator, Senator and now POTUS. He’s been compared to Carter, Reagan, FDR, Lincoln, Buchanan, Nixon, even Harry Truman,but I think the real comparison is Melville’s Confidence Man.