The anniversary of 9/11 is coming up

Sadie sent me a very interesting email about the tenth anniversary of 9/11.  I’m gambling her that she won’t mind if I share her email.  I’d add my own comments at the end.

It’s coming (the 10-year marker) but it’s been here all the time, every day and in every way.

I went to Michael’s Craft store this past week and was,to put it mildly, PO’d — put off by a display of flags, T-shirts, yellow ribbons display, all if it imprinted with NEVER FORGET.

Never Forget what? September 11, 2001

Never Forget that the laws of war changed forever.

Never Forget the misery inflicted on the dead and the survivors.

Never Forget that the cost of securing airports, bus terminals, trains, bridges, water, nuclear plants, Times Square or Washington has upped the cost of everything from that day forward.

Never Forget we’ve been at war since 2002.

Never Forget that we keep burying soldiers.

Never Forget what?

Never Forget that what we saw and what some now call Islamophia is actually September 11, 2001 everyday.

I don’t have to be told to “Never Forget” but some have to be reminded to ALWAYS REMEMBER, who, what, where when and why…the five “w’s” of old fashioned journalism.

Just needed to rant and who better than you [and the Bookworm Room crowd] to share a rant.

Damn, I am feeling cranky lately. Is Israel the only place in the world where the grip on reality still exists. Do you have to live some version of September 11th everyday?

To which I’ll add this: Sadie is absolutely right that the short hand (“Never forget”), which worked perfectly well on 9/12, has become totally meaningless a decade later.

As for me, I’m put off by something different. I know this is silly, but it bugs me that someone as unworthy and American-hating as Obama is presiding over this anniversary. We know that in his ponderous, Leftist, bloviating, cliched way, he’s going to leech this solemn day of any meaning other than Leftist platitudes.

Don Quixote has frequently and correctly pointed out that my dislike for Obama is so strong that it affects my posting — the fact that I hold Obama in deep and obvious disdain destroys my credibility when I try to write objectively about his conduct.  But 9/11 is different.  In addition to the pragmatic concerns (national security, inconvenient air travel, ongoing wars, etc.), 9/11 is a deeply visceral thing.

I know this is silly, but I still have a frisson of unhappiness when I glance at a digital clock and the read-out says “9:11.”  It’s become a sad number to me.  It is imbued with emotion.  So yes, it bugs me ridiculously to have those emotions, real, even though intangible, presided over by a man whom I dislike and who doesn’t, I think, “get it.”  It’s just one more little thing to make the day more disheartening than any other day of the year.

Comments

Book,
    You have a mild version of ODS – Obama Derangement Syndrome.

I understand.  I have it too.

What it means is that for any number of happenings or occurrences, your reaction is altered by your feelings about Obama. You can’t experience the pure emotion for the event – it is always discolored by impressions of Obama.

It could be a child’s birthday party.  (“I’d enjoy celebrating this if we only had a different President!”.  Or, a balloon pops, and you think, “There goes another balloon – just like another job popped, gone under Obama, or just like the latest economic indicator!”)

What’s funny about it that you can substitute, for liberals, BDS (Bush Derangement Syndrome) and have exactly the same effect for them.  Which is how you know you’re under the effect of the syndrome!

I agree with you completely on this and I do not consider it to be a derangement syndrome.  I think of the saying,  “you are not paranoid if someone is really after you” to be in the same category.  I am saddened that someone who has so little regard for the country and for the actual destruction that happened on that day is the one in charge of the anniversary.  He has shown so much disdain for who we are, has tried in so many way to disable our country it is just sickening.
    I am elderly, I never thought anyone could do so much damage in so short a period of time. I am depressed about the country we are leaving for my children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.  I do not consider that to be deranged, just aware of the facts of the matter.

3. dianemadeline says

Thanks for publishing Sadie’s email. I also have a great disdain for the “Never Forget” refrain. It is trite and meaningless. It is a way to distance oneself from what happened by using shorthand.

I especially like “I don’t have to be told to “Never Forget” but some have to be reminded to ALWAYS REMEMBER…” “Always remember” is somehow a powerful look forward – a call for preparedness, whereas “never forget” is a sighing, sad look backward with that phrase so linked to the Holocaust. For me, those words only invoke the Holocaust – as I write them now, I see the horror of the death camps as black and white photos that flicker in my mind’s eye. I don’t like using “never forget” for 9/11 because it diminishes for me the witness we are supposedly making of the Holocaust, and by extension, the gulags, re-education camps, and outright slaughter by the communists in Asia that rolled on in the wake of WWII. Millions of people tortured, starved and killed.

Over the past 10 years(!), I have remembered 9/11 more than is probably good for me, but living miles from Washington DC, how can it not have shaped the rest of my life. I don’t need a slogan to acknowledge the impact.

4. Libby says

Let’s not forget that Obama signed legislation designating 9/11 as “National Day of Service”:http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/a-national-day-of-service-or-a-political-hijacking-of-911/
    So instead of ‘always remembering’, we are instead encouraged to make 9/11 about community service. Here’s an excerpt from an article in Real Simple magazine about celebrating the 10th anniversary of 9/11:
    With a goal of making September 11, 2011, the single largest day of community service in American history, MyGoodDeed is partnering with HandsOn Network, the biggest volunteer network in the nation, as well as the National September 11 Memorial & Museum, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and other organizations to host service programs and events in 24 cities across the country. These projects include refurbishing schools, preparing care packages for soldiers, and building community playgrounds.”
    Disgusting.h

The point is, 9/11 was a demonstration of individual initiative. All the government could do was kill their own citizens. That was it. But hey, if somebody is going to order one of our fighters to shoot a jet full of our civilians down, why don’t we take this plane down ourselves.

Thus Obama is sitting around because other Americans saved the Capitol, from which he can now put his foot on as the conqueror. But he won’t be there forever.

Remember to think long term and at the bone of the substance, Book. Never look at superficial emotions as if they were the dictates of reality.
     What really mattered that day wasn’t who the President was, but who the American people deserved to lead them. A cowardly nation would deserve nothing but a painful and disgraceful death and defeat.

The Left deserves Obama, because that’s what they amount to. We, however, are not the Left.

No Such thing as ODS. What people have is too strong a love and passion for their country and thus react strongly to threats that harm that country, including terrorists or Obama.

Bush Derangement Syndrome is the racist hatred fuel that people use to replace the hole in their soul, due to the simple fact that they don’t love anything other than their own comfort.

Have you wondered where the money came from to buy the Burlington Coat Factory building near Ground Zero? You can stop asking yourself ….but, by all means, start asking why this was found on an insurance website and not on the front pages!

Allstate has become the latest insurance company to accuse Hisham Elzanaty, one of the money men behind the so-called Ground Zero mosque development, of orchestrating a “highly developed and sophisticated kickback scheme” that allegedly reaped more than $5 million for Elzanaty and others. State Farm and Geico have also lodged similar allegations against Elzanaty.