Remembering things past — the 9/11 round-up

I have to admit to a great act of cowardice this morning:  I was afraid to turn my computer on.  I’m still a little leery here, treating the internet as a potential harbinger of horrible news.  I feared, of course, that I would awake to reports of another attack, just as I awoke to reports of that first attack exactly ten years ago today.  There was bad news (my thoughts are with the 77 troops wounded in the latest attack in Afghanistan) but, so far, the internet hasn’t reported a 9/11 redux, and I pray it stays that way.

I also knew that turning my computer on would mean a day that is a remembrance of things past.  For my kids, it was the thing that happened way back then, when they were too little to have awareness.  For me, though, it’s as raw a wound now as it was then.  Examining that bloody hole in my psyche, I found myself thinking of the hackneyed phrase “lack of closure.”  The WWII generation had closure.  It had a vigorously fought, balls to the wall, all-encompassing, popularly supported war, which was concluded with complete victory.  By August 1945, a “mere” four years after the nightmare began, the bad guys were utterly defeated. People turned their back on the past and looked to the future.

We haven’t had that.  For the past ten years, we’ve fought a three front war:  Iraq, Afghanistan, and American hearts and minds.  It’s this last war that’s been the most damaging, and I say that with the greatest of respect to those who died, who were wounded, who served, and who still serve in our American forces.  Even as our troops fling themselves in front of the guns, the rot at home is so deep, it ensures that our 9/11 wound remains an open, festering sore.  We have no closure, we have no future, we have only ten years of internal agitation and self-loathing.

But still, we try, and there are so many in America who fight the good fight, not just on the battlefields of the body, but also on the battlefields of the mind.  This post is a small effort to catch up with those who are engaged in the war on the Fifth Column, the one we fight here at home.  I know that many of your favorite internet destinations have devoted themselves today to 9/11 remembrances (e.g., American Thinker, National Review or Pajamas Media), so I won’t tag individual posts from those sites here.  Before I begin, you should know that the Anchoress has a massive round-up of links, as does Melissa Clouthier and Kim Priestap.

As is always the case with me, this round-up is an ongoing thing, as I come across links, so please check back often.  Here’s a start:

Gotta start with my own big, thoughtful post on the subject.

Melissa Clouthier’s 9/11:  No, America is not over it yet

The New Editor reminded me that he asked, a long time ago, What if the September 11 attack was thwarted?

Noisy Room’s Remembering 9-11 — 10 years of war

Michelle Malkin, who has been at the forefront of the war at home, hasn’t forgotten

The Pink Flamingo Bar has a video montage

Even the young’uns know that the world changed that day, as Bruce Kesler’s 11 year old son demonstrates.

At Red State, just the names, the long, long list of names.

Lauren would have been happy to learn that her beloved husband has managed to move on.

The Razor, always thoughtful, thinks about the 9/11 legacy.

CAC, at Ace of Spades, writes about the visceral horror of the falling man.  And ArthurK, also writing at Ace of Spades, comments on the 9/11 singularity.

Another link to myself, but after all these years, I cannot forget Brian Ahearn, a 9/11 firefighter, nor my friend Lauren Catuzzi Grandcolas.

If you like Twitter, soccerdhg (Soccer Dad) has created a hashtag you can follow:  #Essential911Reading (and use yourself, of course).

This one isn’t quite a remembrance, unless it helps you (as it did me) remember who America’s enemies are.

Comments

I have spent the better part of the morning following 9/11 remembrance links and reading blog postings. After ten yeras, it’s become difficult to muster something new, a different angle, but there have been several. One that has stood out for me is Melissa Clouthier’s 9/11: No, America is not over it yet that Book mentioned above.

My blog is nowhere near the quality of those listed above, ranking only 450 thousand something out of 14 million blogs on the Technorati scale, but I would like to submit my own words:

2. bizcor says

Oh my Bookworm, what a wonderful collection of links you have posted here. I am slowly getting through them. They in turn link to more. It is heartening to see all the moving tributes and remembrances.

Two of them stand out to me. Dr. Melissa Clouthier’s piece “No American is not over it yet” and The New Editor asking the question what if the 9/11 terrorist attack had been thwarted. Dr. Clouthier puts into beautiful words how I felt and still feel. And the New Editor piece is exactly how the left would have reacted had we stopped those guys.

My wife and I were out for a bit today and we saw a lot of Red, White, and Blue out there. I think we should dump The Labor Day Holiday and replace it with the 9/11 holiday.
    Anyway I wanted to say thanks for the links. They are terrific. Not that I am surprised.

3. JKB says

I can’t recommend enough this video on the largest boat lift in history, the  9/11 Manhattan boat lift.  500,000 people evacuated in 9 hours.  When the people fleeing the collapse hit the seawall, the men and women who work the water saw their fellow Americans in need and came full throttle.  They came on their own, the organized on their own and they achieved on their own.  The regulators wisely stayed out of the way.

The only example of stuff “working” on 9/11 were individuals doing things on their own initiative. Not a government giving orders. But in 2008, America elected a Sugar Daddy Papa to tell people what to do. Right.

5. bizcor says

JKB

That was a great video. I had never heard of this happening. How in all the stories over the past ten years has this gone unreported? Everything that I have seen or read about today hasn’t mentioned it. If you had not linked us to it I still would not have known. It is amazing, it worked, and it was Americans doing what is right without being forced into it by Government. FEMA could never pull something like this off. Thanks for the link. I have posted it to my Facebook page, tweeted it, and sent it out in e-mails. This is the stuff true Americans are made of.

This was the information linked to the short documentary at youtube. It deserves a link of its own.

Manhattan boat lift

BOATLIFT was executive produced by Stephen Flynn and Sean Burke and premiered on September 8th at the 9/11 Tenth Anniversary Summit: Remembrance/Renewal/Resilience in Washington. The Summit kicked off a national movement to foster community and national resilience in the face of future crises. See http://www.road2resilience.org to become a part of the campaign to build a more resilient world. The film was made with the generous support by philanthropist Adrienne Arsht, Chairman Emerita, TotalBank (www.arsht.com)

I spent time yesterday searching for current status on the Flight 93 memorial: Was it still deliberately designed as a symbol of American appeasement and dhimmitude toward Islam?  I could not find out the answer to that question.

Thankfully, Powerline has an update on the problem today.  The article reaffirms that a primary goal of the design committee for the memorial was unity with Islam, and that the Crescent Of Embrace, as it was known, was deliberately chosen to symbolize communion with Islam’s Crescent, it’s main symbol.

It would be like having a WWII memorial based on Japan’s Rising Sun, or Germany’s Swastika.  Isn’t that the truth?  And doesn’t it make you wish to vomit?

Well, the trees that form the Crescent are transitory things, and we can easily alter them once we regain our sense of honor.  And, in noting that the axis of the Crescent is oriented toward Mecca, we can plant another grove of trees along that axis – should we wish – such that the shape of the grove is the hand with most fingers folded, but with its middle finger firmly extended.  Should we wish to.  And we could make that one turn red in the fall, too.  There are many alterations we can consider.  Once we rediscover national honor and pride, and abandon appeasement and dhimmitude.

More on the Flight 93 Memorial. And yes, I contacted the architects and asked lots of questions and NO, I did not get a response.

We called that element “crescent of embrace,” giving a whole new meaning to the form. Some folks didn’t take it that
    way. They read other symbolism that was, of course, not at all what we had in mind. To eliminate any kind of conflict, we ended up adding more trees to that area so it’s more fully a circle.

The Park Service enlisted three outside consultants to assess whether
    the Crescent of Embrace memorial to Flight 93 really can be seen as a
    giant mihrab: the Mecca-direction indicator around which every
    mosque is built. All three consultants, including two Islamic scholars,
    were blatantly and provably dishonest.

There is truth to this statement.  The crescent is no longer EXACTLY formed to match the Islamic Crescent.  However, the minor alteration doesn’t change the fact that their intentions, at the start, *were* explicitly to honor Islam out of the misguided sentiment that the designers wished that the murderers would be seen as non-Islamic.  When, of course, their entire motive was  based on an interpretation of Islamic core doctrine that is one of the competing mainstream views within Islam.

It is still recognizably a crescent, and it is still oriented toward Mecca.  But as I said, if there comes a national consensus that this memorial to our fallen heroes has Islamic symbolism, where none should exist, we can easily remedy the problem.   I’d gladly show up one summer morning, chainsaw in hand, with a group of volunteers allowed to remedy the problem.