Comments

1. JKB says

I ran across two items yesterday.

One was that one of the great men who’ve transformed the world passed away at the end of August.  I don’t mean some useless politician or community organizer.  Those types create a lot of dust but not much progress for humanity.  No, one of the great innovators passed.   Keith Tantlinger passed at 92.  Who might he be, you ask?  Mr. Tantlinger made the modern global economy possible by the invention of a simple attachment that is welded to the corners of a steel box.  That steel box commonly known as a container can then be stacked, lifted, and transported securely from origin to destination without the goods being handled, pilfered or requiring expensive warehousing.  An innovation that made the cost for movement of goods across the globe a trivial part of the price of those goods to the consumer.  Keith Tantlinger made the lock that is used to hold steel shipping containers together and to their transport systems.

nytimes…keith-tantlinger-builder-of-cargo-container-dies-at-92.html

The other item was this thought provoking observation by Seth Godin that we have the wrong schools for the new economy.  Seth’s Blog: Back to (the wrong) school  Our current method of schooling was well designed 98 years ago to produce regimented, dutiful factory workers.  But now, we are producing factory workers with not factories to employ them and schooling out the innovation, entrepreneurship and non-conformity needed to be prosper in the current economy.

If you do a job where someone tells you exactly what to do, they will find someone cheaper than you to do it. And yet our schools are churning out kids who are stuck looking for jobs where the boss tells them exactly what to do.

Do you see the disconnect here? Every year, we churn out millions of of workers who are trained to do 1925 labor.

I’m going off to punch things now (don’t worry — it’s at the dojo),

Ah, shoot Book, I was hoping Obama was showing up for another one of his infamous San Franscisco campaign events.  Maybe could supply us with another recording concerning those flyover yahoo “bitter clingers”, and then you could have rushed the podium and punched away to your heart’s content – never exceeding your recommended maximum metabolic heart rate, of course.

3. 11B40 says

Greetings:

If I may be so bold as to add my own lowlight to yesterday’s 9-11 memorial services, the Japanese NHK World TV broadcast aired a 90-minute program hosted by the Japanese actor from Tom Cruise’s “The Last Samurai” movie. The program basically tried to develop an analogy between the US government’s internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II and the “victimization” of muslims after the 9-11 attacks. My understanding is that NHK is the Japanese government’s TV station and the WW II internment is very much a recurrent theme, almost to the point of fetishization. This program included a guest appearance by Norman Minetta, formerly a long time member of our governing elite, and who has apparently fed well at the public trough or thereabouts.

The program’s content was almost all assertions of victimization, both of the Japanese-Americans and the muslims, but not much in the way of a fact base. As is NHK’s wont, there was no mention of the interments at, say, Nanking or Manila, or any on the other Asian tourist stops where the Japanese Imperial Army showed up back in the ’30s and ’40s. Similarly, there was no attempt to provide any comparison of casualty rates between the American internment and those perpetrated by the Japanese. Mr. Minetta’s tribulations included his exposition of the deleterious effects the communal dining halls in the internment camps had on the Japanese-American families; pretty much same-same as in Nanking or Manila but nobody quite made the connection, if you know what I mean. Lastly, what struck me toward the end of the program was how little of it had to do with the Islamic attacks of 9-11. The program just piggybacked on 9-11 to spew more internment “victimization” propaganda.

I’ve been scouring the internet looking for, one photo, one memorial, one service from one ME country that showed any remorse, any suggestion of outrage, any inkling of humanity and have come up as empty as the feeling in my gut today.

It took no time to find Israel.

If the measure of a true friend is how sincerely they mourn for your loss, Israel once again showed how close of an ally they are to the United States.

Photos at link.

MacG

OTOH ..  the Turks/arabs have more hands than the Hindu goddess Durga.

Speaking to Al Jazeera, Mr Erdogan also said Turkey had taken steps to prevent Israel unilaterally exploiting natural resources in the eastern Mediterranean.
    He spoke amid a growing row over Israel’s refusal to apologise for a deadly raid on an aid ship last year.
    Turkey has already cut military ties and expelled Israel’s ambassador.
    It has also said it will challenge Israel’s blockade of Gaza at the International Court of Justice (ICJ).

What a pathetic course to set for your life, to aim to become a permanent victim, like Norm Mineta.

My best friend in high school was a Japanese American whose teacher mother had been interned at Manzanar, east of the Sierra Nevada Mountains during WWII. His father was a different matter: Toshio Shimabukuro was an officer in the U.S. Navy at the time of Pearl Harbor. He continued to serve on U.S. Pacific battle fleets throughout the war, on ships involved in direct encounters with the Imperial Navy. He was subjected to immense hostility, ranging from in-his-face insults to his manhood and race to spit in his food to outright attempts on his life.

He was one of the most stoic men I ever met, and I never heard him, despite my closeness to his family, have a “woe is me” moment in the aftermath of his vicious ill treatment. What a difference from perpetual nancy boy Mineta.

That’s what makes this NHK incident so strange to me, Charles M. I deal with many Japanese business associates and have many Japanese friends. Plus, I have my extensive exposure to Japanese and Korean culture through the martial arts. One attribute I have admired about them is their stoicism and perseverance against all odds.

It is so “un-Japanese” to feel sorry for oneself.

> It is so “un-Japanese” to feel sorry for oneself.

Danny,
    Not when you’ve been raised an American liberal, steeped in that toxic stew your entire life, programmed in the schools every day you sit in those small wooden seats…

It confounds you, as Sadie is continually confounded by liberal American Jews.

In just  a few generations, the British have changed beyond all recognition, too.  Cultural memes are destroyed within generations by such programs.  The British, the Japanese, the Jews… what you used to know about them, you no longer should assume to know.   Not when generations have been raised under the toxicity of the Left.

So, Mitt “My ObamaCare is better than Obama’s ObamaCare” Romney got an endorsement from Timmy Pawlenty.  Wow.

Rick Perry waits a day or so after Romney played his card to the table, and then Perry lays down his covering card: Here’s my endorsement from Bobby Jindal.

Sucks the air right out of the Romney Romper Room!  Trumped!

If you detect sarcasm, it’s because Romney’s oh-so-clever attack on Perry’s “Ponzi Scheme” remarks are appearing to backfire, and I for one am ECSTATIC.

Everyone knows Social Security was set up as a Ponzi-scheme style program:  Some at the bottom pay in so others can get paid at the top.  Eventually, you at the bottom move up to receive your payments that others are now paying in to you.  Everyone knows this, yet Romney chose to play it as if this were a HUGE DEAL, a monstrous and outrageous thing to say.  It’s pure slick politics and nothing else, and has no substance whatsoever beyond it’s pure slick politics.  And that has been the objection to Romney all along:  All pure slick politics, and no real political backbone of any sort whatsoever; utterly untrustworthy when push comes to shove.  No spine and no integrity when the chips are down.  I’ve decided this nasty Social Security gambit is disgusting; had he merely shook his head and said, “Bad politics, Mr. Perry, you’re making yourself unelectable.  Not very professional”, it would have been OK.  But he’s gone much much further – and much, much too far.

So Rick Perry is gathering his own endorsements, and he’s a very good politician across the board.  Mitt Romney is probably going to get schooled every step of the way in this process.  At this moment, as mad as I am at Romney (and don’t forget what Romney operatives within the McCain campaign did to Sarah Palin! I have not forgotten!) I am glad glad glad.  Couldn’t happen to a more deserving fellow than Romney – unless his name be Obama.

I may detest Jon Huntsman, but at least he’s not oily-sneaky like Romney, and in his own utterly-wrongheaded way, Huntsman has integrity, too.  Unlike Romney.