“Patriotic millionaires” and Roseanne Barr

I figured it out.

First, the whole “patriotic millionaires” thing.  These are the millionaires who are demanding that they get taxed at a higher rate:

Los Altos resident Doug Edwards asked President Obama something that many Americans would consider unthinkable: “Would you please raise my taxes?”

Edwards, 53, can afford it. Retired after being amply compensated for being employee No. 59 at Google, he’s part of a Bay Area-birthed organization called Patriotic Millionaires for Fiscal Strength.

While Edwards’ question and the 200-millionaire-member group he belongs to drew wide notice during Obama’s Bay Area visit last week, they drive at one of the most contentious issues in Washington: Would raising taxes on the wealthiest Americans stall investment in the economy?

The Patriotic Millionaires contend that Americans with incomes over $1 million should shoulder a larger share of the tax burden to pay for Pell Grants, road improvements and training programs “that made it possible for me to get to where I am,” as Edwards told Obama during the president’s appearance last week at the Mountain View social networking company LinkedIn.

Second, Roseanne Barr is demanding the guillotine (or, as she says, “gillo-tin”) for rich bankers:

“Part of my platform is, of course, the guilty must be punished and that we no longer let our children see their guilty leaders getting away with murder. Because it teaches children, you know, that they don’t have to have any morals as long as they have guns and are bullies and I don’t think that’s a good message,” Barr told Russia Today (RT).

“I do say that I am in favor of the return of the guillotine and that is for the worst of the worst of the guilty.

“I first would allow the guilty bankers to pay, you know, the ability to pay back anything over $100 million [of] personal wealth because I believe in a maximum wage of $100 million. And if they are unable to live on that amount of that amount then they should, you know, go to the reeducation camps and if that doesn’t help, then being beheaded,” Barr said with a straight face.

Here’s what I figured out:  It’s a scam.  It’s the millionaires’ equivalent of “Hey, rioters!  Don’t burn my store.  Some of my best friends are black.”

With protesters on Wall Street demanding millionaire blood, the millionaires are announcing that they’re even more radical than the protesters.  But just as the protesters wear $100 fashion statement shoes (see the second to last photo at the link), these millionaires are also kidding.  As even the AP figured out, Warren Buffet pays lower taxes than his secretary because he pays himself a smaller taxable income.

In other words, millionaires can always figure out a way to avoid the tax bite.  Congress will listen to these “Patriotic Millionaires for Fiscal Strength,” change the tax code to tax the rich more, and the rich will vanish:  they’ll send their money (and their jobs) offshore, they’ll put cash under their mattresses, and they’ll pay their accountants beaucoup bucks to find loopholes and more loopholes.  For millionaires, it’s always a Potemkin tax code.  Far better to have a flat tax where everyone just pays.

As for Roseanne, her disgusting shtick is also a game of “behead me last“:

If this was humor, the only part that was funny was the economics.  I’m pretty sure ABC didn’t pay her in hippie beads when she ruled the Nielsen charts in the 1980s and 1990s.  Her sister filed a $70 million lawsuit for her share of the proceeds from the TV series Roseanne (thrown out for statute-of-limitations issues), which strongly suggests that Barr exceeded her own “maximum wage” limitation.

These millionaires think they’re being clever with their faux populist speak.  However, the only thing I can think of is Winston Churchill:

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Here are a couple of nice photos of London a few short years after Chamberlain appeased Hitler:

Comments

1. jj says

Of course it’s a scam.  Any one of them could change his tax-filing status with a single phone call to his accountant.  There is nothing that stops them from re-figuring their taxes on the basis of whatever-sized tax bite would make them happy, and sending in a check to cover the difference.  You’d think anybody would know this, but the great unwashed of American voters doesn’t particularly know what day it is, so these guys feel it necessary to stand up and pull this grand-standing BS about “raise my taxes.”  It is the most absurd crap!

The stupidity of the American voter is always the great danger.    As long as the political IQ (I’m being polite, here, I could just as readily have said the “national IQ”) remains so goddamed inexcusably low, these fatuous dingbats with large wallets will engage in this kind of BS.  It’s simply pandering to the unwashed.

That not especially bright child Marie Antoinette didn’t stoop as low as Warren Buffet has to pander to the mob.  She had higher standards and a better sense of self than he apparently does.

Of course she does…her net worth is $80 million.

3. Libby says

Most of these actors have some guilt about their success because they’ve made an ungodly amount of money playing pretend. This is what drives their crusading for things like environmentalism, and to make “message” movies that no one wants to see. They’re dying to do something that makes them feel better about themselves (the crazy money and over the top adoration) and prove that they can do more than just put on a costume and recite someone else’s lines – “See, I’m not shallow and greedy, I drive a Prius and fund-raise for AIDS! I’m not one of those greedy banker, evil corporate types, really!”

Suek, the interesting thing about guilt is that some people do it anyways and use their feelings as justifications for exporting their problems elsewhere, rather than stopping their behavior and atoning for their sins. So long as Buffet keeps making himself rich at other people’s expense, he’ll feel a desire to level the playing. The more he feels that desire, the more he supports Democrats. The more he supports Democrats, the more he keeps making himself rich at other people’s expense. It’s like, “hey, I feel guilty about doing a bad thing, but I’ll just keep on doing it. And not even that, I’ll do MORE OF IT, because now I have a way to justify it!”

Book’s article states:

——-

The name and event rang a bell so I checked him out: Doug Edwards is a MAJOR, huge Donor to the Democrat party and their causes.  He contributes the maximum amount possible across hundreds of candidates.

What was particularly vomit-worthy about his statement, “Mr. President! Please raise my taxes!” is not that he is a shill for Obama nor a Democrat.  What is particularly vomit-worthy is that at that news conference, Mr. Obama *apparently* called on him at random, suggesting thast perhaps it would be worthwhile for him to take some questions from the audience.  You know,  from the “common folk”.  ”Yes, you there, in the back, you would like to say something?”

6. ExAFCrewDog says

I think the IRS has set up an office to specifically accept any and all contributions toward our Congressional Investment Fund. (Investment as defined originally, I think, by Bill Clinton, and tax money as defined by most regular folks.) They don’t get a lot of checks.

Buffet pays a lower tax rate than his secretary. Not a lower $$ amount. True with anyone earning a lot of money who can afford a very high-priced accounting firm. Buffet’s varied holdings may even include one.

jj’s IQ comment reminded me of Professor Irwin Corey’s retort to a heckler: “When your IQ reaches 29, Sell!” From my experience, most folks suffer, not from stupidity, but from a lack of effort to learn anything. Or ask many questions. That’s how we got the Congress and Administration we have today. And will continue to get until folks start getting up off their La-Z-Boys.

Mike Devx and ExAFCrewDog

Did you two work out the routine in advance. Best giggle in days. Thanks. :)

Mike: ”Yes, you there, in the back, you would like to say something?”

CrewDog (channeling) Prof. Irvin Corey: “When your IQ reaches 29, Sell!”

I genuinely feel sorry for Roseanne Barr. Even at her best, she has always had a tenuous grasp on sanity. Like Rosie O’Donnell, she is an intelligent woman with some acting chops who thinks that her fame is the equivalent to years of thoughtful study, which therefore makes her qualified to comment on anything and everything.

Very few people, except consumers of rancid meat, will agree with her here. The media, in even bothering to report on her lunatic commentary, is exposing its fatal flaw: Though Roseanne’s rant could discredit the left among many, her insanity is too juicy not to push at readers. It shows the debased nature of the mainstream media, that no matter how co-opted it has become by leftist politics, it will never allow a cause to trump blood, insanity and mayhem.