Is it just me or is there something very wrong with this picture?

For reasons unclear to me, myriad conservative sites are hosting an advertisement for Alan Grayson, a Progressive’s Progressive. You might remember Grayson from his last go-round in Congress.  This is not a guy who’s shy about sharing his convictions.  During the health care debate, he gave a quick and easy summary of the Republican position:  “‘Don’t get sick, and if you do get sick, die quickly.”  When called upon to apologize, he basically apologized for having been too mealy-mouthed in his criticisms of Republicans: “I apologize to the dead and their families that we haven’t voted sooner to end this holocaust in America.”

Maybe the above quote explains why, when I think of Grayson, I’ve got the Holocaust on my mind.  (Grayson, by the way, is Jewish.)  How else to explain my reaction every single time I see this ad:

It’s that shadow under the nose, I know it is.  But whenever I see his picture in that ad (not any of his other pictures, just the one above), I see this:

I’m not saying Grayson is Hitler.  Indeed, I would never say that, because I don’t think there is any comparison.  I do think he’s an angry man with awful political ideas, but that’s the end of it as far as I’m concerned.  Considering that I don’t harbor bad thoughts towards Grayson, and I’m sure his campaign doesn’t, it leaves me wondering why his campaign would choose an image that, with that shadowy upper lip, creates the visual suggestion that he is a bad guy.

Or, as I asked in my post title, is it just me?

Comments

1. adam says

The eyes are unsettling; the mouth smiles, but the eyes don’t. There’s an intensity there, which in light of his past rhetoric,  I infer as an indicator of malice, or at the very least, a poisonous contempt. And then there’s that other guy…[shiver]

2. roylofquist says

Grayson was a Representative from the Orlando area. He was soundly thrashed by Republican Daniel Webster in 2010. I met Webster at a small gathering in Orlando. His speech shouldn’t have gotten him elected dog catcher. Grayson is a nut.

3. jj says

Picking the picture for the poster that makes him look like a bad guy or not is not relevant: when he opens his pie-hole it’s immediately apparent he’s a bad guy.  A dumb-ass, too.  So, quelle difference?

4. jj says

I think you overestimate Grayson, too.  Hitler was crazy and evil – a horror, a blot on humanity’s escutcheon, but he wasn’t a dope.  Grayson, so far as I can see, is pretty goddam stupid, and easily quantifiable as a dope.

JJ, Hitler was evil, but he was not crazy. That is the really frightening thing about him. He was brilliant and came very close to accomplishing his goals. To say that he is “crazy” gives people an excuse to dismiss or excuse the nature of evil that he personified.

I say this because there are a lot of other very brilliant people out there that embrace evil and we need to be forever vigilant against them (and, no, I am certainly NOT talking about Joe Biden). All too often, I come across people that wan to equate brilliance with goodness and “moral” values…I just think that they are unable to conceptualize “evil”

6. Michael Adams says

However, clicks bring  a few pennies of revenue to the blogs where they originate. I am not looking for a “Mutually Beneficial Relationship” couldn’t afford it, and besides, my wife knows where I sleep.  However, I click on their ad, too.  As we previously discussed, the ads on BWR do not produce any traffic-related revenue.  However, for the others, during my period of prolonged impecuniousness, it’s a little something I can do. I discussed this with another blogger, who believes, as do I, that there is some kind of algorithm to cut off the count from one viewer after a while, so it would not help to sit and click repeatedly, but a few clicks a day move money  the Right way. Yeah, the Grayson photo is scary, but the line of girls sitting on the edge of the pool more than compensates.

..some kind of algorithm

Al Gore rhythm – nah, he’s got two LEFT feet.

Okay, pun aside, I haven’t a clue as to how they work. I have noticed that pop up ads tend to mirror, what I have been reading and that Amazon follows me around from time to time and what’s with all the ads geared for seniors trying to sell me something – it’s the “cookies monster.”

8. suek says

Sadie… do you use IE or Firefox? If you use Firefox, go to the add-ons (or whatever they’re called) and get the one called “Ghostery”. It installs a little blue “ghost” icon on your toolbar that tells you how many trackers a page has. I have no idea who controls the trackers – whether it’s the blogger or something else – but it’s interesting. Book’s site has 5 trackers on it…blogads, facebook something, twitter, wordpress, and marketgid, whatever that is. I think you can block them, but I don’t know how – or if it’s even worth the effort.

I have no idea if there’s a similar thing for IE.

suek, thanks for the suggestions. You’re probably right about the peeping toms and blocking them. I think the trackers are more like a Seal Team – if they want to get through they can and will. Let’s face it, we’re in a public forum and there really is no such thing as a 100% privacy. I was thinking about those with a twitter account. The Library of Congress will house every one ever sent/received. It was suggested it was for historical trending reasons. I am sure I’ll be reading that all “posts” will find there way to some super chip, one of these days. I read that Romney replaced all the computers/hard drives when he left the governor’s office.  I don’t know how he controlled out-going mail, though.

10. Gringo says

Danny Lemieux

My keyboard and I are grateful that I was not drinking anything while I was reading this. :)

It is ironic that the Demos paint themselves as the party of the smart people, but then chose Slow Joe as the Veep. Perhaps the Demos were thinking of the  Hruska defense when they  chose Slow Joe. You know, try to get the British coal miner vote. :)

President Nixon nominated  Harold Carswell for the Supreme Court in 1970. Many considered him a mediocre candidate for the Court, as 58% of his decisions as District Court Judge were overturned. In defense of Carswell, Senator Roman Hruska of Nebraska said, “Even if he is mediocre, there are a lot of mediocre judges and people and lawyers. They are entitled to a little representation, aren’t they, and a little chance?” Fortunately for the quality of the Supreme Court, Hruska’s defense of Carswell was not of assistance.

Say what you will about Mr. Grayson, he is definitely not on Slow Joe’s level. Far beyond.

11. OjosdeAguila says

Scary for sure.  But my first thought was of another monster … Hannibal Lecter from “Silence of the Lambs.”