Proving that, contrary to all stereotypes (and some statistics), there are stupid Jews

Please, please, please tell me the Rabbi was writing with tongue fixed firmly in cheek:

I’ve got a Tim Tebow problem.

I want to root for the guy, but I’m afraid of what will happen if the hulky Denver Bronco quarterback continues to pull off what is fast becoming the Greatest Gridiron Story Ever Told.

[snip]

If Tebow wins the Super Bowl, against all odds, it will buoy his faithful, and emboldened faithful can do insane things, like burning mosques, bashing gays and indiscriminately banishing immigrants.  While America has become more inclusive since Jerry Falwell’s first political forays, a Tebow triumph could set those efforts back considerably.

That has to be a satire, doesn’t it?  It’s all a big joke, right?  If not, I’m deeply embarrassed that an MOT (member of the tribe) would be such a prejudiced idiot.  He worries me.  I don’t read the Bible often, but I do seem to recall that God does not take it well when his MOTs turn stupid.

I’m tired, and struggling to get beyond calling this guy, as I did, a prejudiced idiot.  Fortunately, others are not tired.  Duane Lester sums up the Rabbi’s foolishness thusly:

Rabbi Joshua Hammerman somehow believes the moral equivalency nonsense regarding Christians and Muslims. You see, if the Muslims will riot over a cartoon of Mohammed, then surely those football fueled fundies will go into a frenzy over one of their own beating all the odds and winning the Lombardi Trophy.

Rabbi Hammerman is a fool. If, God forbid, the Denver Broncos win the Super Bowl, there might be riots in Denver, but it will be Budweiser Coors fueling the action, not Christian fundamentalism.

Ace takes on the Rabbi with equal fervor:

Certainly there is a history of pogroms in Europe, and, in America, discrimination. Such fears are not entirely unfounded.

But the idea of a new age of pogrom based upon the Tim Tebow throwing a football seems to be a reactionary one, conceived in hatred, executed in bitterness.

It just seems to be dressing up a tribalistic hatred in some socially-acceptable clothing. Oh it’s not that I hate Christians and their false god or anything. It’s just that I fear they are monsters who will go insane in religious ecstasy if a football hero wins a big game.

Look, I really do believe in tolerance and acceptance and… well, amity, especially among Jews and Christians, who seem to be getting along pretty well.

But tolerance is a two-way street. Those who desire tolerance of the practice of their own religion are hypocrites if they do not permit others to practice their own.

And dreaming up fantastical Protocols of the Elders of Bethlehem murder scenarios doesn’t sound very tolerant to me. It seems to suggest it is inherently evil to proclaim the Christian faith.

Having read Ace, I’ll add one thing:  the Rabbi is not a Rabbi as Hillel or Rambam, or any of the great Jewish thinkers would have understood.  This Rabbi’s temple is the Synagogue known as Beth Liberal, a house of worship dedicated to secularism.

(Just a little reminder that I think very highly of Tim Tebow, not just as a football player, but as a human being.  I hope this doesn’t mean I have to renounce my Jewishness.)

Comments

1. Michael Adams says

Austin’s Jewish community is not large, and, when I last worked in a hospital, I had about half of the over sixty crowd  on my floor, with the other half coming to visit.  Jews are as bad gossips as anybody else, with possibly longer memories, so they told such tales, like about Morris H. a notable idiot.  In the days before television, he lost a bet with a guy on a football game, recorded and re-broadcast, heard in a barbershop, the other guy having heard the game when it was broadcast live. Book will know about Aggie jokes, and the H. family’s old home, near downtown, is now the Austin office for Texas A & M. Seems fitting, somehow.  So, yes, there are certifiably stupid Jews, much to the delight of the non-stupid ones.

2. Libby says

Do you think it’s comforting for him to worry so much about potential Tebow-fueled Christian rioters because this distracts him from worrying about the real threat of Islamic terrorism & rioters – a threat that political correctness has made impossible to mention in polite conversation? Deep down he has to know that Christian Tebow fans are about as threatening as fuzzy bunnies.

A snip from his “about me” page

He is a champion of interfaith dialogue and his “Learning and Latte” series, involving himself along with Christian and Muslim leaders, has been a local fixture since 2002. A noted Cyber-Rebbe, he has pioneered the use of the Internet for inspirational and educational purposes.

My best guess is that the article was a blend of “tongue in cheek’ mixed with “foot in mouth.”
    If Rabbi Hammerman was looking for a larger cyber readership, he found it today only by fumbling.

4. Oldflyer says

While others question the Rabbi’s comments on a universal level, I find them offensive, whether or not tongue-in-cheek, on a particular level.  I have followed Tim Tebow’s career and personal story for years now.  Yes, I am a rabid Florida Gator/Tim Tebow fan.
    Tim Tebow practices his faith in the purest form,  as a pillar of tolerance and inclusiveness.   He  continually comes under attack for his faith from those of no faith.  How ironic that someone of faith, all be it a different one, would use him as a straw man for bigotry.  Stop it!  No more, Charlatan.

5. suek says

I was watching Hannity a couple of nights ago, and his “All American team” (or whatever) had one person (not Bechtel) who was anti Tebow. Reason? Because of his position against pre-marital sex! In this person’s opinion, it is everyone’s _duty_ to have sex with multiple partners so that they’re certain that they’re sexually compatible with their partner before marriage. In his opinion, it is the height of immorality and irresponsibility to marry without having had sex with that person.

For this reason, he wouldn’t want his children to have Tebow as their role model.

I’m not a football person. I have no opinion of Tebow – though because I’m aware of the swirl of controversy about him, I think good thoughts for him. I fear he may meet his test and fail. The bigger they are, the harder they fall…he seems to have met many tests and come through with flying colors, but there may also be some Achilles heel that he – and we – are not aware of that could take him down. I hope not. Role models should _stay_ role models. It’s really bad when they fail because so many are so unforgiving and then toss them away.

The phobias against Christians and rural/southern people, on the part of large numbers of urban & highly-educated individuals, have reached truly bizarre levels. Seems to me that one should be more concerned about those radical Islamists who want to cut off your head or at least shut down your freedom of speech than about those who might want to talk to you about Jesus (or NASCAR!)…also seems one should be more concerned about the “animal rights” terrorists who threaten scientists and try to blow up labs than about somebody in South Alabama who believes in biblical creationism rather than evolution…

7. Ellen says

As a Catholic and a southerner, I’m used to being insulted by people who don’t know me.  Seems to me that there were predictions of anti-Jewish violence by Christians who were inflamed by seeing The Passion of the Christ.  Didn’t happen.  Won’t happen.  And if Tebow and company win the Super Bowl, I will celebrate with good food and drink, not by beating up a Jew and burning down a mosque.

It’s not the Christians you have to worry about being violent. Those that know, are hiding it. Those that don’t know, are already on the OWS streets protesting and infecting each other with STDs.

You can believe me or not, when I say that the true firepower of American citizenry is kept just under the sand, but it has to be dug out first.

It will require more than 10 WACOs to wake up that firepower.

9. MacG says

David: “more concerned about the “animal rights” terrorists who threaten scientists and try to blow up labs”  How more labs and car dealerships have been violently blown up or the inventory blown up in the name of saving the environment (all the while polluting it?  Not only the pollution of the incendiary but the the production of new vehicles and their associated plastics to replace the destruction)  vs abortion clinics by so called pro-lifers?  I know of one clinic bombing and one doctor shot but you’d think it happens everyday if you mention it to a con-lifer but hte Eco-Terroist does it for a good reason :/ Oy.

10. Gringo says

It appears that the article got taken down. It generated a flurry of  negative comments- deservedly so. The rabbi said that he feared people who were certain in their faith. Christians who were certain in their faith. Jews who were certain in their faith. Muslims who were certain in their faith.

Muslims who are certain in their faith have blown up Buddhist monuments, killed Muslims who converted to Christianity, and in the past ten years have killed thousands  of peaceful infidels for no better reason than they are infidels. There is good reason to fear Muslims of certain faith. I agree with the rabbi on that count.

Yeah, Christians who are certain in their faith are just like that. My grandmother was sad that her children and grandchildren did not continue in her church, but unlike a Muslim following Sharia law, did not hire a hit squad to go after her apostate offspring. She maintained loving relations with her apostate offspring.

IMHO, the rabbi wasn’t tongue in cheek at all. His attitude is fairly common in the Northeast- not just among Jews, but also among the goyim. As others have pointed out , such attitudes go along with phobias toward rural- “bitter clingers”, anyone?- and southern people. As a NE native, I know whereof I speak.

The rabbi’s article partakes  of the “Christian fundamentalists in the US are as bad as the Muslim fundamentalists” meme. Al Gore said similar things in an interview in the Noo Yawkuh in 2004- more evidence why our country dodged a bullet when he didn’t become President. ( I voted third party in ’00.)

While what the rabbi said is received wisdom among libs in the Northeast, like most libs he is not accustomed to much interaction with people who disagree with such points of view.
    The article’s being taken down in reaction to the negative comments- which weren’t that bad- reminds me of Froma Harrop, a journalist out of Providence.  While on some such Commission on Civility in Journalism, Ms. Harrop made some decidedly uncivil statements on her blog. Her reaction to the negative comments that ensued was to close down comments on her blog: Am I uncivil?…I see incivility as not letting other people speak their piece……Comments are closed.”  [Quoth Monty Python:"Say no more."]

suek, I also wish the best for Tim Tebow, except when he plays the Patriots.