Feynman on the pseudo social sciences

Just last week, I wittered on about my disrespect for so many ostensibly scientific studies nowadays, since they’re focused on establishing an agenda that they have little to do with the scientific methods.  And of course, I routinely lambast here those self-styled experts who are also pushing an agenda.  One of the worst areas for all this ideological crap propounded as science is “social sciences.”  Here’s the brilliant Richard Feynman pointing out the problem with these studies:

Hat tip:  Lulu

Comments

1. Gringo says

A town that was the subject of a “social sciences” investigation which resulted in a book responded in a most appropriate manner. During a Fourth of July parade there was a manure spreader with an effigy of the author  above the manure.

2. Caped Crusader says

Social “science” a joke and no real scientific method employed at anytime — a farce. The hard sciences not too far behind if human beings are the subjects of inquiry.. The most difficult commodity to obtain in this world is pure unfettered scientific thought and results with data to back it up. Nearly EVERYONE has an agenda and opinion, and approach any inquiry to prove their preconceived notions. Mathematics, chemistry, physics and computer science are the home of least error.

3. TREGONSEE says

Feynman once said, roughly,

Physics is applied mathematics.
    Chemistry is applied Physics.
    Biology is applied Chemistry.
    Psychology is a bunch of witch doctors.

4. Caped Crusader says

Bookworm a brief moment of levity and humor brought about by your new clickable words bringing you some income. One of the words chosen in my above entry was physics. When clicked it became “physic” and sent me of on a search. This brought back memories of the early 1960′s when I was a young doctor on active duty. One year I was assigned a 65 bed general medicine ward where I treated every disease known to mankind. When making daily rounds, I received many requests for a “physic”. I would stop and do a hands on exam hoping to reassure any apprehension the patient might have. Although being a native Southerner, I was not familiar with this term and after a few days one of the nurses clued me in that they were really requesting a laxative to relieve constipation. One of those precious few words one remembers the day and circumstances of its’ learning. Not that I am constipated, but I want you to make as much money as possible — never know the day and hour a high colonic might be desired. Good for a chuckle–THANKS for the memory! Actually it led one off on a metaphysical search, rather than a laxative.

I studied psychology and the social sciences as a hobby, not a discipline, because it had useful experiences concerning human behavior and how humans are manipulated. The general public, lacking such info, will not be able to resist being manipulated. Being wise to cons is an adapted learning curve, not something innate.

6. Ron19 says

Well, thaat explains all the “physics” I’ve seen mentioned in English novels.

This line is a test of trying to separate paragraphs.  Double return at end of paragraph.

After previewing, have to go back and re-edit the reply.  But it did look right in the previewed comment.

Ohmigaw! All these years I’ve been misreading those signs in the seedy parts of town as “psychic” when what they were really saying was “constipation aid.”

Maybe Michelle isn’t kidding when she says the American diet stinks.