Race and protest movements *UPDATED*

It’s not only conservatives who have noticed that the waning OWS movement was pretty much whiter than white.  Black activist preachers have noticed the same thing and are trying to mobilize their congregants to get out there to camp on sidewalks like homeless people along with the white drug-addicted, violent OWSers:

The Rev. Harold Mayberry stood before his First African Methodist Episcopal Church congregation Sunday morning in Oakland and outlined how it was time for members to connect with the Occupy Wall Street movement.

Nationally, many African American leaders have acknowledged a disconnect between the Occupy Wall Street movement and the larger black community.

Mayberry is among nearly two dozen prominent African American Bay Area pastors trying to bridge that gap at the community level through a growing national effort that is ramping up today – Martin Luther King Jr. Day – called Occupy the Dream.

[snip]

“This is a great leap forward to involve local pastors,” said James Taylor, an associate professor of political science at the University of San Francisco and an expert in African American studies. “The general critique of Occupy is that it has lacked a specific agenda. But this could be a sign of maturity for the movement.”

In February, the pastors will ask their congregants to withdraw a small amount of money – at least $30 – from their bank accounts and deposit it in either a credit union or a minority-owned bank.

If that symbolic move doesn’t get the attention of “Wall Street banks,” as Mayberry described the nation’s largest financial institutions, then in March, Occupy the Dream will ask larger African American-dominated institutions, churches and black professionals to begin transferring greater amounts to credit unions.

“I ain’t got no problem with people becoming millionaires – I wouldn’t mind joining the club myself,” Mayberry told his congregation. “My problem is when you are so insensitive to people who have not been able to raise themselves up to the level where you are – and you snuff out their dreams.”

I just heard from a friend who lives in and functions in the welfare/drug community.  (I’m not kidding when I say that I have contacts in all walks of life.)  There’s a black market of food stamps there. My friend is dining on roast beef tonight because another friend traded his food stamps with him for weed.  All these people have a few things in common:  they’re white; they’re drug users (mostly post); they rely heavily on welfare programs because of their drug use, whether we’re talking about impairment from actively using drugs or from decades of past drug use; and they support the OWS movement.  They are explicit that they see OWS as a way to ensure a continued flow of welfare benefits.

Is this really the milieu to which black pastors want to sink their congregants?

UPDATE:  This video of Valerie Jarrett giving a rousing political speech at a historically black church (after which the church hosted a voter registration guide) seems apropos.  At least Michelle Obama limited her black voter drive speech to the BET awards, a venue that doesn’t get the tax benefits extended to a church.

Comments

“I ain’t got no problem with people becoming millionaires. . . ” said Mayberry.

Maybe his problem is learning how to show respect for his own native tongue.

Yes. It’s Milieu time – they rather fight than switch. Sorry, couldn’t resist commentary with a beer flavor. ;)

Yes. It’s Milieu time – they rather fight than switch. Sorry, couldn’t resist commentary with a beer flavored pun. ;)

4. Wolf Howling says

I listened again to King’s I Have A Dream speech today.  In it, he alluded to the rampant racism of the time, but the majority of the speech was, not surprisingly, articulating the contours of his dream, that his “four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character,”  The occupy movement seems nothing more than screaming in impotent rage at . . . fill in the blank.  So I am very hard pressed to see how the Occupy movement, now fading into obscurity, has any relation whatsoever with MLK and his goals.  Indeed, the “occupy the dream” push seems an obscenity and that is without even considering the nature of the OWS’ers that Bood describes.  Why would preachers in the black community allow MLK to be bastardized in an effort to shore up an incoherent lily white movement.  I guess I will just add it to my ever growing list of life’s mysteries that I am never going to solve.

5. Tonestaple says

Sadie, that’s a mixed figure of speech if I ever saw one:  “Milieu time” is beer but “rather fight than switch” is pure Tareyton cigarettes.

And OWS isn’t over.  They plan to bring it back in the spring when they won’t freeze their little tushies off.  They will still be screaming, but it will be interesting to see how it develops during the election battle.  And if they develop some sponsors with money, things could get very ugly indeed.  Think Black Panthers with truncheons and worse.

Oy, I got the beer and cigarette commercials confused.

Tonestaple, agreed. OWS is planning a Spring assault – they already received the White House Seal of Approval. The election will be ugly whether or not they impact directly or indirectly. The race/class warfare cards are being played like 52 Pick-up over and over again. The Wisconsin recall results should be available in a day or two and I think it will portend of things to come. Stay tuned.

7. MacG says

Valerie Jarrret “We all sleep a little better at night knowing Osama Bin Laden and his lieutenants are not plotting a terrorist attack against the United States,”
    I suspect that the oceans will stop rising now… Like they’re not plotting.  Doesn’t she know that there is a new head of Al Q?  He is kidnapping Americans now and won’t stop coming after the Great Satan?
    70 year old Warren Weinstein is sitting captive right now.  Of course if all they could catch is a 70 year old maybe they are limited in their capacities…