Hey, I want free medicine too

People are rightly protesting on religious grounds the fact that Obama has mandated that health care plans must cover birth control and morning after pills:

Most healthcare plans will be required to cover birth control without charging co-pays or deductibles starting Aug. 1, the Obama administration announced Friday.

The final regulation retains the approach federal health officials proposed last summer, despite the deluge of complaints from religious groups and congressional Republicans that has poured in since then. Churches, synagogues and other houses of worship are exempt from the requirement, but religious-affiliated hospitals and universities only get a one-year delay and must comply by Aug. 1, 2013.

Aside from the religious aspects, I think this whole thing is grossly unfair.  What about my migraines?  I should get free medicine.  And how about the heartburn that’s plagued me since my pregnancies?  I want free Prilosec.  Many of you, I’m sure, have medicines that you think should be free too.

My point is that, entirely aside from the ethics of forcing religious institutions to fund birth control, it’s simply wrong to make everyone in America underwrite one specific type of prescription.  Of course, in the world of socialized medicine, where the president gets to call the shots, rather than the people who actually foot the bills, there is no right and wrong:  there’s only politics.  The Hell with religious freedom or other outdated Constitutional doctrines.  We live in a modern age, with a modern president, one committed to turning us into the dying old world of Europe.

Comments

Rhymes with Right surely knows that the state always reserves the right to euthanize, terminate, those they feel do not provide their fair share to society while at the same time having a high upkeep cost. Only the Leftist elite and their pals are allowed rightful access to the top quality care, resources, food, luxuries, and so on. Because they provide an indispensable service to mankind….

The ability to rule over the masses and tell them how to best live their life, of course.

2. MacG says

Book, don’t you know?  Migraines are a form of birth control, therefore you don’t need assistance. :)

BTW my sympathies for the migraines, I know people that cannot function when they get them.

3. CollegeCon says

While I agree that its idiotic, I think that the consequences of *not* using birth control are significantly greater than those of most other prescriptions.  The goal of this policy is social, not medical, as the assumption is that poor women with access to free birth control will have fewer kids, and thus there will be a proportionate decrease in future crime.  There is a documented correlation between the legalization of abortion and decrease in crime.

I AM NOT SAYING ITS RIGHT!!!!!  I’m just pointing out the thinking i believe is involved.

Birth control will make women unhealthy in the long run. That kind of hormonal control and enforced suppression isn’t good It is hormones that allow individuals to live longer, when their bodies have less energy to devote to cell reproduction. Artificially tampering it down has mental, psychological, spiritual, and physical effects.

The belief that this is simply cheap and easy medication, is something Westerners are often guilty of believing in. The belief that pills will solve your problem. Go get some Soma then.

CollegeCon is onto something when he sees the social control/cost-benefit angle to “free” birth control pills.

Two other thoughts come to mind: One is that the left adores the orgasm, which for many leftists is their god. Nothing must stand in the way of a good orgasm, especially the possibility that =yuck= a child might result.

The other is that this is a sexist move by the feds. What’s sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander: Condoms should be free, too. I demand my constitutional right to the rubber!

6. Tonestaple says

What’s really appalling, aside from the implications for the First Amendment, is the notion that these drugs will be provided “for free.”  And also appalling is how many people will think they are getting a freebie yet will bitch and moan and whine and complain when their premiums go up to pay for this.

It is astonishing to me how many people in this country think they can get a free lunch and then blame the evil capitalist restaurant owner when the price of dinner goes up accordingly.