I like this doctor

I went to see a doctor this morning about my intractable migraines.  (And yes, I did get useful advice, which I think will help.)  The doctor was very nice, although not the most personable guy.  He endeared himself to me forever, though, when he looked through my chart murmuring to himself as he did.  This is what I heard:

Doesn’t smoke. Good, good.

Doesn’t drink.  Very good.

Ideal weight.  Fine.

I tuned out after that last one.  “La, la, la,” I sang to myself.  “I’m the ideal weight.  Woo-hoo.”

Those are the kinds of things that make a girl — oh, pardon, a woman — feel good.

Comments

I totally believe that, on good cigars and fine wine, you are headache free. For the wusses of this world (that would be me), wine is headache poison. And I haven’t tried the cigars.

2. Old Buckeye says

Anecdotal remedy for migraines: I suffered from them for 30+ years. Couldn’t tolerate ANY of the meds so just suffered for 3 days at a time…Went on a gluten-free diet and have been migraine-free ever since.

Oh GOOD for you, Old Buckeye!! Whatever works, is my motto……

For a lot of us, however, anything that has been fermented is the trigger – due to the tyramine that is produced during the process.

That’s why wine (especially – for some reason – red ones) triggers headaches for many….along with any aged (that means the good kinds) cheese, plus miso and other oriental flavorings based on fermented soy beans (“good” soy sauce is a killer, the cheap ones are fine) and (worst of all to some) chocolate

Oh yeah….if you visit Ghirardelli’s chocolate factory in S.F., they tell the story of making chocolate, and one part of it involves the fermentation of the chocolate “liquor” in order to produce flavors.  Too bad.

I’ve even gotten a migraine from eating too many raisins at one sitting — as the grapes dry, the juice inside undergoes a certain amount of fermentation.  It can happen with any fruit dried whole – cutting the fruit opens it to faster dessication and no time for fermentation.

I’ve no idea about any possible connection between cigars and migraines, but I’ve heard that some people get a headache from them….I wonder if some of the flavor of fine cigars is developed through a fermentation process…..hmmmmmmm.

I REALLY hope that this works out for you BW – no one who hasn’t had a real migraine can imagine what you’re going through, but those of who can are rooting hard for you!!

4. jj says

Guys, I was pretty much not intending to be taken seriously… (Well, not 100% seriously, anyway…) I know wine’s tricky for a lot of people, especially red wine, but it often seems that one of the biggest problems with migraines is that – except for stuff like sulfites, which may be close to a universal – everyone almost seems to have a unique trigger.  What there is to be gleaned from that remains in the air, it seems.  Tough to come up with a cure for something with millions of causes.

Hopefully this doc can do something to help with it.   Tho’ I don’t have the problem, I most heartily sympathize.  Good luck!

5. Old Buckeye says

Hey Earl, I wonder if the fermentation of the sugar by the yeast in bread could’ve been my main trigger??? I still avoid chocolate and wine–having given up on them years ago when they triggered the headaches, they are no longer in my vocabulary–but when you mentioned fermentation, it clicked that bready things undergo fermentation too! Thanks for the clue!

@Old Buckeye: Absolutely right!!  Early on, I avoided sourdough bread because of the tyramine.  Also the “real” buttermilk, which I loved.

If you are highly sensitive to tyramine, I’ll bet that other yeast breads might trigger the headache, too.

I haven’t heard that gluten is a trigger, so I wonder if you’re real sensitive to the fermentation.  You could try some unleavened forms of wheat bread/crackers, etc. if you think it’s important enough to eat wheat again……

Or not.

:-)

7. jj says

I wonder if this is the downside of nullfying natural selection.  On an individual basis, I mean.  Medicine, over the last century and a few years or thereabouts, has managed to keep people alive – and breeding – who otherwise would have dropped out of the gene pool.  Migraine sufferers were once pretty rare – now they’re common, and they pass it along.  Diabetics used to be pretty rare; now they’re common, and living long enough to pass on the gene.  I never knew anybody who was allergic to peanuts, now there’s one in every schoolroom.  More and more and more people are allergic – or sensitive – to more and more and more stuff; but modern medicine keeps them going, and they keep the gene going.

The race grows less healthy, not more.  By the end of the century everyone on earth will be a diabetic, near-sighted, overweight, allergic to peanuts, migraine suffering hemophiliac.  And plenty of them will have plenty of other issues that would have, had nature been left to its own devices, disappeared long ago, too.

8. Old Buckeye says

Earl, that makes a lot of sense! I’m so glad Bookworm introduced the topic of her headaches so we could discuss MY problems! :) Thanks to you both!

I don’t disagree, jj…..without modern medicine, I’d be dead before breeding, taking whatever genetic tendency for testicular carcinoma I carry.

Instead, I have two kids – only one with testes – one of whom has passed along whatever I gave her to her two daughters.  Who knows what will happen in the future.

Natural selection before WWII was FEROCIOUSLY against anyone whose immune system was the least bit weak.  We’ve lost that with the advent of penicillin and other antibiotics, so on average our immune systems aren’t nearly so strong as they used to be.  That’s not good.

But now, we come to the crucial question…..what’s your suggestion/solution?

10. Michael Adams says

For Type II diabetes, the automobile, allowing people to live every day with very little walking, is the main reason for the increase. 12,000 years ago, when the ancestors of modern Indians were wandering the steppes of Asia, getting no carbs for six months of every year, except for what they scraped out of a dead caribou’s stomach, the ability to gain weight, especially in the front part of the abdomen, where it would also keep you warmer, and where the fat excreted a kind of anti-insulin hormone, was a survival advantage. Now, for their descendents, like me, it is the gene for diabetes, which comes to be expressed when we do not walk, or drink a lot of milk or beer, or, usually, both the beverage consumption plus the sitting.

For Type I, all bets are off.  There has been some speculation that Type I is caused, at least in some people, by an autoimmune response, an excess in resistance, perhaps, to a viral infection. More to follow, no doubt, in  a few years.