Is Matt Drudge subtly suggesting that law-abiding Americans should arm themselves?

The Drudge report is masterful at using news headlines to create mini-advocacy essays.  As I read this little trio from today’s Drudge Report, Matt Drudge is suggesting that law-abiding citizens would do well to arm themselves:

Comments

1. MacG says

The first two of Drudge’s haedlines are from the same story probably different papers. Another headline that I saw for the same story tried to ake it a racist thing as does the Trayvon headline.  What is missing is what was said to the kids in the street prior to the beating.  Not that beatings are OK but like gas and matches are OK to have it is best to not to engage unless in a very coltroled environment.  Like the Trayvon incident the media is runimg the hundred yard dash when it ought to be running a relay race without dropping the objectivity baton.  THe beaten man was apologizing during hte beat down for something he did prior to that.  Since someone said “That’s justice for Trayvon” I can see some dumbass saying to thise irratiating kids “Do you want to end up like Trayvon?”.  We just do not know yet.

I love Grandmas turning the tables on the weak criminals that prey on them

2. Caped Crusader says

“Aoccdrnig to rsceearh at an elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit graet porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.”

So don’t worry MacG, we knew what you meant, and we all do the same at some time. Supposedly only smart people can read this, so it’s a good way for us conservatives to communicate and baffle the less bright libs.

3. MacG says

Caped Crusader, All of my teachers had the same reading disability – none of them could read my writing.  Perhaps that is that why I atrocious marks for penmanship :) Then again if the clay was dry it was very hard to press the stylus reed into it.

MacG:  Lysdexics are us!  As for whether or not the mob invoked Trayvon, it’s simply telling that the media doesn’t care when the racial roles are reversed.  (Or the supposed racial roles, given that we now know that George Zimmerman is a mixed race man.)

jj:  Guns don’t kill people; a savage media kills people.  Cancel your newspaper subscriptions and buy a gun.

Caped Crusader:  I can so totally read that, although the word “iprmoatnt” took me a couple of seconds longer than the other words.

5. Ron19 says

Comment on Caped Crusader #4:

Friends keep sending me this stuff, the oldest being one by George Bernard Shaw on revising speling of wrds of th Englsh Langwc.

These are amuzing and fun to work out.  When my daughter was in middle school, she caught on to “doublespeak” instantly, and could speak it and listen to it far faster than I could ever follow.  In my school days, it was igpay atinlay.

One thing that is never mentioned, though, is that to understand this newspeak or whatever it’s called, is that you have to be very familiar, fluent even, with written and spoken English.  I usually do well with my native tongue, especially if I have time to proof-read my writing or think about what I’m going to say.  I’ve had classes in five other languages, including slan (American Sign Language), and never caught on to any of them.

My daughter, on the other hand, has a facility with languages (except grammatical written English) that I can only envy.

6. Oldflyer says

Somehow this case is starting to be flipped so that, although not excusable, it is understandable that the mob beat this fellow into a near death condition.  I am sure that MacG is not excusing the attack.  Although I have seen references, I haven’t read the articles mentions that allege racist remarks by the victim, so I do not know how credible those claims are.  To tell you the truth, I find it a bit difficcult to believe that a man living in a mixed neighborhood would be so bold, or stupid, as to use the alleged language in the current environment.

Unfortunately, for the apologists, this is not the first instance of retaliation against random white people in which the name Trayvon was invoked.

If Drudge is suggesting that law abiding citizens take steps for their own protection, I applaud him.  Noting the number of home invasions reported in the news, and noting further that the Cops never, ever, arrived in time to prevent the mayhem, only to catalog the damage, I decided some time ago that I wanted to be armed, after more than thirty years of not owning a gun.  Over the past few years, three roughly,  i have decided to increase the fire power in our home.  Unfortunately, we have recently moved to California where I will not have the right to be armed when I leave the confines of my home.  Coincidentally, the news in the Los Angeles/Orange County areas seems to have a story–or two–every evening of an unarmed citizen who was attacked.

7. Caped Crusader says

jj: RIGHT ON!!! As a genetic descendant of the family of John Moses Browning we have been “gunned up” for generations, just naturally admire their functionality and stark beauty. Obeyed your other command over 15 years ago when I informed local lib rag Tweety had passed and their product no longer had any use at our house, for they were guilty of not practicing “DIVERSITY“, since conservative thought was never represented in their pages. Many thousands must have done likewise, for the paper is only a shadow of its former self, and is embarrassingly small, thin, and devoid of advertisers

8. Caped Crusader says

Oldflyer:
    The police, for all practical purposes, are merely well armed stenographers who record the events of mayhem and help send the victims to the hospital. Another gift from liberals. Proving the old adage that — “Always remember, that when seconds count, the police are only minutes away”.

9. MacG says

Old Flyer, to be sure I was not dismissing it but illustrating the media does not seem to learn how to handle flammable stories.  They need more info before publishing and that takes time but they also need the scoop and that’s where it breaks down.

The police in my town of about 56,000 have about 7 on patrol at any time.  1 for 8,000 ‘citizens’.  There is an additional Directed Patrol Unit of about 5 guys that focus on gangs drugs prostitution etc.  They spend a lot of time in my neighborhood.  So when I call about a suspicious person or 4-5 guys drinking in the open carports peeing and being a general pain they maybe on a domestic violence call at that time, handling an inujry hit and run where the colliding driver actually runs away from the scene leaving the often times borrowed car behind.  Lately they have been working the Golden Gate Transit station because of the number of crimes commited there and we have yet to add the SMART Train to the mix where the Santa Rosa Gang bangers will have a new corridor to travel to clash with our gangs here. So response time is apportioned by degree of emergency.  I am sure we all understand that.  So San Rafael is a community policing city where we are encouraged to be good witnesses because 100,00 eyes are better than 14.  This is a major reason San Rafael is a psuedo snactuary city to gain the trust of the witness and victims.  I have done a lot of patrolling in my association and have some push back by rules violators, been called a racist many times, heard veiled threats, had guys pulled away from me by their friends, beer bottles thrown my way and a phone hit out of my hand once.  I have had Latino neighbors tell me they fear for me because ‘they’ are crazy and carry guns and knives.

Reuters put out a story that Zimmerman and his wife got trained and got his n hers  guns after being told by an animal control officer to get one to defend against a loose pit bull in the area because pepper spray that he bought would take too long to work.  He was in violation of Neighborhood watch rules about carrying but with the experience of an aggressive pit bull onthe loose I am sure it was a compartmentmentalized in his thinking.  I have yet to buy a firearm – my choice.  It has crossed my mind and it would make my wife nervous.  However I am thinking of getting a concealed permit just for the political statement – much more subtle than open carry :)

10. MacG says

I do not know f I have said this before but I actually called the police on a black young man in a grey hoodie.  It was his behaviour and demeanor that got my attention.  It turned out to be a new neighbor.  I had met his mother but not him.  They had only one key and she locked him out and he was pissed about that hence his demeanor.  Well needless to say we did not get along very well after that.  At least he has stopped spitting everytime I walk by:)  His demeanor did match the demeanor of a hispanic kid in Northgate Mall a few years before that that did start a fight that I verbally broke up while the crowd watched.  That is what made me suspicious.  Now let’s put the shoe on the other foot.  Let’s say he had previously been hassled/persecuted/bullied by white douches that he may have encountered.  Would he have cause to be suspicious of my motives?