The Progressive wish list as spelled out in local campaign literature

‘Tis the season for local campaign literature.  I usually toss these things in the circular file, unread.  As a minority conservative in a massively Democrat/Progressive county, my votes are invariably wasted anyway.  With Open Primaries, though, I’m starting to pay attention to this unsolicited reading material.  So far, I’ve heard from Michael Allen, Jared Huffman, and Stacy Lawson.  The first two live in a Progressive fairy-tale; the third is struggling to make contact with reality.

Herewith, some quotations from their campaign literature, as they slug it out to become the Democrat nominee for U.S. Congress (taking over Woolsey’s seat) or for California Assembly.

First, a statement from Jared Huffman, who has spent a great deal of time in the California Assembly (emphasis in original), and who now wants to go to Washington:

I’ve spent my whole career working for the public interest.  I won major anti-discrimination cases for women and have a 100% career voting record with Planned Parenthood.  I fought for our environment as a Senior Attorney for the Natural Resource Defense Council (NRDC).

As your Assembly member, I’ve overcome gridlock in Sacramento to pass over 60 pieces of legislation — including laws that are creating jobs, expanding renewable energy, keeping our state parks open, and forcing big oil companies to pay for oil spill prevention.

In Congress, I’ll continue standing up for what I believe in.  Bringing our troops home.  Prioritizing education above military spending.  Equality and women’s rights.  Creating California jobs, and ending tax breaks for corporations that outsource jobs overseas.  And fighting big health insurance companies who put profits above our health needs.

I think we can summarize the above easily:  If elected, Huffman will (1) pass legislation that funds chimerical green enterprises; (2) support Obama in his fight against the Catholic Church; (3) raise taxes on corporations at home while preventing them from continuing their businesses abroad (bankrupting or downsizing many, I’m sure); (4) de-fund the military while giving more money to teacher’s unions; and (5) help support “The Return of ObamaCare — it’s back, bigger and badder than ever.”

Unsurprisingly, Huffman has gotten the nod from a slew of environmental and union organizations:  the California Federation of Teachers, the Sierra Club, the Marin County School Superintendent, the California Labor Federation, the National Association of Letter Carriers, California School Employee Assoc., California Hospital Association, North Bay Labor Council, AFL-CIO, Amalgamated Transit Union, International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, International Association of Machinists, International Brotherhood of Teamsters, International Union of Operating Engineers, International Union of Painters and Allied Trades, Laborers’ International Union of North America, and on and on.

I wonder how many of those union members whose bosses are giving Huffman the nod will still have jobs in three years, after Huffman’s policies (if enacted) have driven away or destroyed private industry, and made the cost of energy prohibitively high.

This being Marin, Huffman isn’t an outlier.  California Assemblyman Michael Allen, who is seeking re-election, rings the same bells.  His whole platform (in wealthy Marin) can be summed up easily:  tax, tax, tax, and spend.  I’m not kidding.  For every problem, he has a very expensive solution.  Here’s his statement from one piece of campaign literature that harps upon the fading California dream:

PROTECTING THIS DREAM MEANS FUNDING GREAT SCHOOLS AND UNIVERSITIES

That’s why, as your Assemblyman, I’m co-sponsoring a new college scholarship program for middle class families and closing corporate tax loopholes to fund education.  And it’s why I’m working with the Governor to place a “millionaires” tax on the November ballot to save public schools.

It doesn’t seem to occur to Allen that the State of California and the schools of California were thriving when the government, for the most part, left Californians alone.  California’s economic and academic decline coincided so closely with the ascendance of Leftist government in California that the two events cannot be a coincidence.

In another piece of campaign literature, Allen explains that he can help solve the budget crisis (which is very real) because he has “a head for numbers.”  First, he explains that as a Former Labor Leader, he’s able to “resolve disputes, kickstart stalled projects and create new jobs.”  I wonder how management feels about his boasts.  They’re probably too busy packing for Nevada or Texas to talk about their feelings.

Allen is proud of his stance on education.  Despite decades of proof that more money has not solved, and will not solve, California’s education woes, he’s all about getting more money to the unions:

Michael Allen stood with teachers and education advocates to stop millions of dollars in cuts to local public schools.  He authored legislation to help make college tuition and fees more affordable for middle-income families.

I just spoke with someone today(he knows who he is) who explained that government rules, especially ADA compliance requirements, impose thousands of dollars per classroom on new school construction.  How about fixing our schools by putting pressure on the Feds and on Sacramento to stop micromanaging schools?  That ought to save some money.

Nor has the Solyndra debacle stopped Allen from pushing the Green government button:

Michael Allen worked with local environmentalists and business to create Solar Sonoma, a group that promotes local access to renewable energy.  He started his career as an attorney with the Sierra Club Legal Defense Team on the Warm Springs Dam initiative.  He introduced incentives that will help our agricultural community transition to organic farming methods.

If these things (solar energy and organic farming) are so good, shouldn’t the market be moving consumers in that direction without Allen’s help?

You won’t be surprised by Allen’s supporters:  California Democratic Party, California Federation of Teachers, California league of Conservation Voters, California Teachers Association, Sierra Club.

Incidentally, both Huffman and Allen have gotten the nod from various law enforcement organizations (police, fire fighters, sheriffs, etc.).  I assume this is because these organizations are union organizations and, by default, back the Democrat candidate and, because of past favors, back those who currently hold political office.  Otherwise, the endorsements make no sense.  I certainly don’t see anything in the candidates’ actual platforms that would improve the quality of life for these organizations’ members.

Stacy Lawson, who is running against Huffman (and others) for Congress, hasn’t yet sent me any literature, but you can see her stand on the issues from her website.  Her proud boast is that she’s less extreme than the others running, and that is true.  However, in Marin County, less extreme is still a relative term.

On energy, Lawson talks about the economic and national security imperative of becoming self-sufficient, but her ideas are the same failed ones the Democrats regularly tout:  namely, conserving and going green.  Until something comes along that’s better than fossil fuel, conserving and going green will never offset our legitimate energy needs, unless we are willing to lower our living and production standards to, say, 1950s  levels.

On job creation, Lawson rightly focuses on small businesses.  She wants to make it easier for them to borrow (potentially replicating the housing crisis, which started when the government forced banks to make bad loans).  She also thinks that the federal government should get involved, not by lowering taxes and decreasing the hundreds of thousands of regulations dotting the private sector landscape, but by entering into more contracts with small businesses.  I don’t know where she gets that idea.  Large companies have huge, expensive departments that are solely dedicated to dealing with the federal paperwork necessary to get and hold a federal job.  Small businesses can’t afford to do business with the federal government.

Lawson also advocates a new WPA:  Rebuild the infrastructure by having the government build a new one and having the taxpayers pay for it.  Considering that America’s Depression had worsened dramatically by 1937, drowned under the weight of Roosevelt’s infrastructure projects, it’s doubtful that this will help the economy.

But will it help the infrastructure?  Again, that’s doubtful.  In the 1930s, infrastructure was basic:  roads and dams.  Also, there were few regulations, so that back then an entire dam could be built in the time it takes the Sierra Club to mount its first protest.

Most importantly, in the 1930s, technology was fairly stagnant.  That’s not the case today.   Just ask yourself this:  whatever happened to all the pager companies that dotted the landscape back in the 1990s?  With a few small, industry-specific exceptions, they’re gone.  Cell phones killed them in less than twenty years.  That’s change government can’t handle.  Remember, while businesses are facing the problems and opportunities that arise today, government is busy imposing yesterday’s solutions.

I’ll stop here.  I like Stacy, who is a nice person.  More importantly, and rather sadly, by Marin standards she is indeed the moderate alternative.  I may even vote for her in the primaries because the thought of seeing a mini-me Woolsey (that would be Huffman) jet off to Washington in January is simply unbearable.

And that’s the stuff that came in today’s mail (augmented by some internet information).  It’s not calculated to uplift a conservative’s spirit, that’s for sure.

Comments

1. lee says

Oh, jeez! You are bringing back memories (that I have tried to push behind a hazy cloud to forget) of my period of servitude in Marin. I recall one Democratic primary shortly before my escape–I think it may have been for the US Congressional seat, though it might have been for the state senate–in which the candidates were Flaky, Flakier and Flakiest. Since whoever won the primary was GOING to win the general, the handful of conservatives I knew were keping their fingers crossed that Flaky would win. Flakier won. On the upside, Flakiest did not win. Unfortunately, the Republican opponent  never had a chance. And my vague recollection of the Republican oppnenet was that they were intelligent and … sane.  (I want to say that this was in 2010… maybe.)

The first two live in a Progressive fairy-tale; the third is struggling to make contact with reality vs Flaky, Flakier and Flakiest.

Pillsbury Dough Boy meets Peter Pan?

Thank you lee and Bookworm for the giggles.

There’s a part of me that would encourage you to just let the most extreme elements win so that California (writ Illinois and a good part of the rest of the country) can hit the wall sooner rather than later and the extremists get the deserved blame for it. If you were to elect a conservative, they would only get blamed for the inevitable crash caused by the Democrat Left.

BTW – if you want to read a truly jaw-dropping speech given by Robert Wenzel to the New York Fed that completely vindicates Ron Paul’s campaign to abolish the Fed while explaining the roots of the coming disaster, read the following…

The coming crash is inevitable and the invincible idiots in power today are heightening the consequences thereof. The premise of Wenzel’s speech is that the Austrian School was right and that the Keynesian policies of this and previous administrations have rendered an economic disaster inevitable.

I only wish that I had better ideas regarding what to do about it and how to prepare my family for it.

4. jj says

Huffman has an interesting take on the alternative universe in which he resides.  He’s overcome gridlock?  With 52 democrats in an 80-person legislature?  That’s gridlock?  He hallucinates readily, this guy – doesn’t he.  Seems to me to be just about perfect for Marin.

5. lee says

Ah! It was 2008 California Snate–Nation (Flaky), Leno (Flakier), and Migden (Flakiest.) What memories! Light the corners of my mind… Misty water-colored memories…

I now live in a red state. Life is much duller, but thankful, less flaky.

Danny, I don’t think there is any real way to prepare. Of course, there’s the “survivial school” suggestions of guns/storing food/generators, but I don’t see that working well in a heavily populated city. Maybe investing in a small cabin in the woods (real estate prices continue to plummet). Depending upon how one reads the numbers and interprets them, current home values (generally speaking) are somewhere between 1895 and 1986 levels, again depending upon how you look at the numbers and inflation. I am of the mind that charcoal would be a really good thing to own in all it’s forms (filter water, cooking).

In a city, you don’t need to stock up on these things. You just need an armed military force that can secure a few supermarkets, gas stations, and US Army/national guard armories. That’s it. Once you have the resources, the city is more or less yours. As all the people in it will either die fighting you, or cooperate to feed their families.

“For Marin County residents, of course, the bursting of their Utopian bubble will cause horrific spiritual and psychological trauma and bring out the worst in human behavior in people who have all along believed themselves to be insulated therefrom. Be prepared.”

Oakland is pretty close to Marin. I  used Google Maps and looked. They wouldn’t have to march very far to cross that bridge. And all the “rich” stuff is in Marin so…. it’s hard not to figure where the mobs will go come Final Hour.

Oakland is also rated one of the 3 most dangerous US cities, along with LA and St. Louis. By some people, at least. The reason why Oakland is dangerous is because the local ghetto can’t control their rampaging youths and all the white people outside in California are always talking about taking guns away from the black hoodies, thus ensuring that black gangs 100% control the people in their territory.

If MS13 were transported, 100%, to a neighborhood in Georgia, most of them would die in a firefight with the local civilian militia forces. ANd if they didn’t have enough manpower to crush the insurgency, they would call in reinforcements from us and other Georgia denizens that are known to stockpile “serious firepower”.

9. lee says

Oakland isn’t really that close. Richmond is closer. But rioters rarely cross a bridge to “demonstrate.” I remember the rioting in the East Bay in the wake of the Rodney King affair. My first thought was that if I were into rioting and looting, I would do it at Union Square and do a little rioting near the Bang & Olufsen store and loot me a real nice stereo. But the rioting was in the poorer areas of Oakland, and the looting was of stores living on the edge.

I’d actually find it entertaining to imagine rioting hordes of vandals, bearing down on Ark Row. Or Poplar Ave in Ross…

But when the California bubble bursts, I don’t see too many people in Marin being phased by it. Minorly inconvenienced leading to being irked, maybe. Annoyed at the difficulty in finding secretarial help, since all the English-speaking working and middle class will have fled.  Curious as to why their dog walker quit showing up… Enterprising and perspicacious Marinites might blow up the GG, Richmond-San Rafael and 37 Bridges, plus the Narrows and the new SMART train tracks, just to make sure the riff raff stay out. As locavores, food won’t be an issue, and with the fact that houses need to be wired for solar, well, electricity won’t be an issue. Nail polish for the manis and pedis will become scarce. Riots might break out at Corte Madera Towne Centre (love the precious spelling) and the Village at Corte Madera, over the dwindling stock at Pottery Barn, Nordstroms, and Anthropolgie. But other than that….

I am not sure if the average Marinite will ever wake up and smell the decaf, nonfat latte, even when it gets dumped on his head.

10. Ron19 says

Just got the official California Presidential Primary Election Official Voter Information Guide a few days ago, and I’m still trying to decode it.

Pages 4-6 talk about Primary Elections in California.  This page describes (?) the new best two out of the field go to the General law that we California voted in last year or the year before.  I think it says that in some of the catagories of candidates, but not all, the two top primary contenders, regardless of party, that get the most votes in the primary go on to the general election.  It also has explanations (?) about how voters can choose which partisan primary they want to vote in irregardless of which party they are registered with.

Bookworm, I’m not a lawyer like you are.  Do you understand this pamphlet?

Page 21 starts the U.S. Senate Candidate Statements.  It has three Republican candidate statements, and the first two sound like real go-getters for Tea Party issues.  The third has some bullet points that look interesting.

Page 22 has another Republican who begins by saying the country is in crisis and explains why, and explains his experience as a businessman and how he supports conservative principles, and what he will fight for.

Next is a Democrat who starts off “Tax the Rich.”  Then he rants on about how the rich are oppressing the poor and middle class.  Taxing the wealthy will cure all the deficits and inequalities in this country.  Save the children.  My favorite is this guy is complaining that “The radical Supreme Court assualts consumers.”

Next is a short statement by a Republican who states his values, which are in line with Reagan.

Then, a Peace and Freedom candidate.

Page 23:  Diane Feinstein.  Followed by another Democratic with a bunch of toothless rants.

A Republican with a very quick resume.

A Hispanic sounding named Republican that sounds like another Tea Party advocate, with a long list of things he will work for.

Three parties, only one or two parties can go to the General Election.

At least four solid Republican statements.  That should split the Conservative/Republican voters into at least three good sized chunks.  Which means none of the Republican candidates are going to get as many votes as Feinstein and one of the other Democrats (CA is a very Blue sate).

As far as I can analyze this, come November we Republicans will only be able to choose between Democrat incumbent Diane Feinstein and one of the ranting Democrats.

I feel like my vote has already been stolen.  This is what I expected when the new law was proposed.

11. Ron19 says

The strikethru font doesn’t work.

The fourth line was supposed to have the “we” struck thru before the word California.

I’ve been in this edit box for two minutes already, and the header showing fonts, etc. has not appeared.

Following up on lee and Ymarsakar’s comments about the fate of Marin County when the welfare state finally collapses.

As has been pointed out, to get from Richmond/Oakland to Marin, you have to cross a four-mile bridge that is bracketed by heavily armed points of entry and exit. On the East Bay side, the toll plaza has a Highway Patrol sub-station and toll takers who know how to quietly take down a license plate number and relate any suspicious activity to weaponized authorities.

But it gets much better on the Marin side. San Quentin is the very first exit. If you turn left toward the prison, there’s a cadre of guards a quarter of a mile down the road who have access to SWAT-type heavy weapons. They could be deputized to protect the bridge in the case of full-scale riots in East Bay. If you continue straight up the road, the first building on the right is the Marin Rod and Gun Club, a lively place that strangely stays in business despite its location up one of America’s longest and darkest liberal as***les. Who woulda thought there are gun toters in such an enlightened place?

The second Marin exit, Anderson Drive, leads down a hill to Bullseye shooting range. I have never walked in there, even on a slow, lazy weekday afternoon, and not felt a buzz. There are many, many serious gun people in Marin, and Bullseye’s target range sometimes has lines waiting to get in. (A few weeks ago I was practicing pistol shooting with my son when 20-something Marin honey walked in with a shotgun to do a little target destruction. Between the smell of expended ammunition, her perfume, and the sheer beauty of her and her attitude, I was filled with a fleeting hope that we knuckle walkers might yet defeat the Jared Huffmans and Mike Allens of the world.)

Lee is right to say that here in Lotus Land the effects of the collapse will be not be felt as much as in, say, Los Angeles or Oakland. But much of Marin’s sunny vibe is built on falsehoods. Despite all its affluence, the county has a large underbelly of homeless, criminal, and shiftless elements that could become an internal source of trouble. So far they have been bought off by a combination of welfare, under-the-table work, and some impressive leftist hand wringing about the need to turn the county into a vast Section 8 residential area. Add to that the many respectable folk who are teetering at the edges, truly one paycheck away from disaster.

The rich neighborhoods will survive—extra perks for the cops, private patrols, geographic inaccessibility, and limited access. Smart thugs are not going to head for neighborhoods where there’s only one way in or out. My neighborhood is tucked away in a corner of town where getting in and out is along narrow streets that don’t allow for high speed drive-bys. We all tend to look out for one another, and I know there are well-kept guns in the area. In the meantime, I’m stashing canned goods, freeze-dried food, seeds, household basics, emergency power capability, etc. While I don’t expect a full-scale collapse of services, I expect many two- and three-day intervals when we will be on our own.

As Victor Davis Hanson has pointed out, we are now like Romans in the year 400. We watch as barbarians stream unopposed past our farms and towns, looting along the way. Something terrible is in the air.

I’ve been wondering if my fears about the future of America are too gloomy and doomy.

And in the last two days I read *serious* comments by Charles M and Danny L in which they too are gloomy and doomy, and actually taking preparations for the collapse that appears to be looming.

When you two are seriously concerned, maybe I should keep on worrying.  I do still think it’s not too late: If we all banded together across America – if we all agreed to solve the problems – we still could.  But there’s no way to get that kind of massive agreement in this country.  We can’t agree.  We’re already split 1l2 and 1/2, pretty much right down the middle.  THAT is why I see no possible solution to our hurtling downward slide.  Politically, there’s just no way to stop us.  We’re on the way to the collapse.

When I look at my fears of the (potentially?) looming economic collapse, I can’t help but reflect on the plight of the Jews when they faced the Nazi Holocaust.

Many Jews simply refused to believe it could happen.  ”We are living in one of the most civilized nations on the face of this Earth”, they must have thought.  ”Something like that could never happen here.”

Others must have recognized the potential, the extreme danger.  The lucky got out before it became too difficult to get out.  The others… stayed.  ”But there is still time, plenty of time,” they must have thought.  ”We still have time.”  Until there was no time.  Until time ran out.  The Nazis made it almost impossible to leave.  Then they made it impossible.  Then the forced-labor camps opened (the slave labor camps), and then the death camps.  Their collapse had finally arrived.

Many among us, today, deny that the economic collape can happen.  ”It could never happen here,” they think.  They say it, our Paul Krugmans do.  ”We are too strong, too gosh-danged CIVILIZED for such a thing to happen here.”

Others among us see the danger, but we think, “There is still time, there is still plenty of time to avoid it.”  And that is true… until, suddenly, there is no more time.  Suddenly, it will be upon us.  You keep thinking there is still time until that day when time completely runs out.

How far are we down that road?  How much time truly does remain, until it runs out?   My best guess is twenty years or so… but I could be like one of those Jews that saw the Nazi Holocaust danger but remained.  They thought they had more time, but they were wrong.  What if I’m wrong?  What if it is not 20 years?  What if it is seven years?  What if…

I am convinced of one thing: After it happens, historians will draw a line in the sand, choosing the most significant event and saying, “This is when the collapse actually was triggered, this is the day it occurred.”  And we will NOT see it coming until the news of it is on the air.

That is because our economy is large, and our government has many tricks it can play to extend the crisis, delay the moment of collapse, and to pretend it is not occurring.  They will take measure after measure to delay the actual collapse, creating an ever shakier trembling house of cards built on sand, ever more fragile… until finally the mistake is made that brings it down.  And it will have become so fragile by that point that when it comes down – when all the tricks fail – the fragility caused by all the tricks will be so EXTENSIVE, so EVERYWHERE, that the collapse will be shockingly swift.

I wouldn’t rely on police protecting any bridge or prison guards. They are so heavily regulated that it takes them quite a while to even gear up and take out a murder attempt in one’s own jail, let alone mobilize somewhere else.

Like New Orleans, the cops will be told to be there, but in reality they’ll be getting out of the danger zone come Final Hour.