I always miss out on boycotts ’cause I never buy from the stupid companies to begin with

Since I passed the age of 10, and my infatuation with big eyed children and other cutsie things waned, I don’t believe I’ve ever bought a Hallmark card.  Note my use of the word “cutsie.”  I like cute things (witness my endless infatuation with my dog), but cutsie = cute + shlock.  That’s Hallmark.

Apparently, though, Hallmark seems dissatisfied with its friendly, Midwestern Mom image, so it’s added barbed, liberal political satire to its roster:

Hallmark, the greeting-card company that lays claim to making “the world a more caring place,” is under fire for producing a graduation card emblazoned with an image of Barack Obama that warns graduates to stay away from the tea party.

[snip]

The card in question says on the front, “You graduated! Time to go to a lot of parties!”

And on the inside, “But avoid those tea parties if you can. Trust me.”

I’d love to turn my nose up and say “I’ll never buy Hallmark again,” except that, as I said, I don’t buy Hallmark now.  If you’re tempted to buy Hallmark, though, because there is a Hallmark card that somehow managed to be charming and/or clever, you might want to refrain.  Corporations can do what they please when it comes to putting something on the market, but consumers can also do what they please when it comes to refusing to buy a corporation’s products.

Hat tip:  Gateway Pundit

Comments

What great marketing prowess! Some marketing genius at Hallmark just wrote off a big part of its customer base by needlessly pi****** them off for profit.

2. jj says

Funny the way you express that.  And you’re right, it’s hard to “boycott” stuff that never finds its way in the door in the first place.  I’m sort of in permanent boycott mode, I guess.

3. bizcor says

For the same reason I too miss out on boycotts but occassionally I am able to do it. The other day my wife and I were doing the grocery shopping. We were out of Ketchup/Catsup. She selected a bottle of Heinz. I removed it from the basket and replaced it with Hunts. I know Theresa Heinz Kerry will not miss a meal when I don’t buy her food products but it is a little step. I also know that Carbonite took a huge hit when they decided to stop advertising with Rush. I don’t use online backup so I couldn’t boycott their service but we were considering a Sleep Number Bed. That is no longer an option for me. Finally, pardon me if I seem to be belaboring a point, two years ago my old truck was falling apart and I needed to replace it. I visited many different dealerships and drove a number of cars however not once did I entertain the idea of visiting a Chevy or Chrysler dealership. In fact at the time Toyota was on the carpet for some trumped up charges about brakes. I am happy to report my Toyota’s brakes have never failed. My wife’s Toyota brakes nicely too. Neither car was built by a union worker.

In my promotional products business politicians are an obvious propsect for things like buttons, yard signs, etc. Since I work very closely with The State Republican Party all of my businness has been with Republicans. I was approached by a Democrat running for the state legislature. I was torn. I could use the business but…. fortunately the supplier I use for those items is not a union shop so the democrat had to go elsewhere. (There are a number of suppliers who are union but their prices are not nearly competitive with my guy.) Go figure.

Oh yeah forgot to mention…I never watch MSNBC, only watch golf or other sporting events on NBC, used to watch CNBC until my cable system finally got Fox Business Channel. I hear my buddie Erin Burnett left CNBC and went to CNN. wouldn’t know don’t watch them either.

I’m with you completely, bizcor!  Well, *almost* completely.  I still go out of my way to buy American vehicles, as long as the price and quality is reasonably close.  Ford these days gets top nod because their values and fight during the Great Obama Auto Industry Takeover was far better than GM and Chrysler.  Similarly with all other products: I try at least a little to buy American over foreign.

But aside from that minor quibble, I totally agree.

5. bizcor says

Mike Dev…I try to buy American too. I drove the Ford and really wanted to make it work but it didn’t. Toyota has a pretty good presence in the USA and has created some 365,000 jobs in the US. Just sayin…furthermore the Unions have all but ruined the automobile industry in this country. Toyota has an assembly plant in Mississippi. (A right to work state) here is link that gives some pretty interesting numbers. I grant that it is a foreign company but my Camry rides like a dream, is good on gas, and has no Maintenance issues.

Pretty much all the Japanese makes (I drive Subaru) are either made or assembled in the U.S. while a lot of so-called “American” brands are assembled in the U.S. from parts made overseas. It really is an international market.

The intriguing thing to me about at least trying to buy American, is that American and foreign auto makers appear to follow the same model:  Manufacture parts overseas, then ship the parts here for American workers to assemble.  Apparently it is cost-prohibitive to assemble full vehicles overseas and then ship THEM here.

So doesn’t the question become, then: Where do the profits go?

The other question is that of unionization.  It appears that foreign car makers assemble their vehicles in right-to-work states, that are low in unionization.  American car makers assemble theirs in unionized states.  Is that the difference?

Different companies also follow different standards when it comes to management techniques that produce quality production.  The Japanese were ahead in this for years.  I’m not sure what the situation is today.

I have a friend up in Michigan who works in a union (but not for the auto industry or anything associated with it.) I listen to his stories.  The union employees and the management are in constant, bitter, near-murderous conflict with each other.  “Hate” is not much of an exaggeration.  There is nothing better for EITHER SIDE – and that includes management – than to succeed in something that hurts “the other side”.  They glory in that, and especially in those stories.

Mutual cooperation to produce a better-quality product that beats our competitors outside America?  You can completely forget about that, it seems.

We conservatives want to entirely blame union employees for the problem.  But that doesn’t seem to be true.  You could say, “Well, OK, yes the management at these companies is viciously hostile to its employees, but the unionized employees STARTED it!  Management has no choice.”

I can’t answer that one.  But I *suspect* it doesn’t reflect reality.  You can explain unionized hatred of management as knee-jerk (and stupid) class-based envy.  But it’s hard to come up with a reasonable explanation for management’s hatred of its employees.  Some of the stories I hear about how management maneuvers to f**k over its employees – deliberately! – are startling.  They will in fact go out of their way to deliberately make their employees physically suffer.  Why?  I suppose it’s because that’s one of the few ways in which they can exert power over their unionized employees, and that may be why they do these things that are nothing but harmful: A way to show that, yes, they DO still have some power, so take that!  And suffer! Ha Ha! Why do we make you suffer… why my dear Oliver… because we CAN!

None of it on either side makes one bit of sense.  But my family and friends who are in unions take it all for granted as just the way it is.  From my right-to-work position within the software industry in Texas, I have nothing but praise for my managers, most of whom are very good.  In fact I go out of my way to TRY to select my jobs based on the quality of the managers.  Because good teams always seem to get the work done well, *except* when they are confounded by bad management. The dynamics within a team with bad apples tends to shift such that we still end up with a good chance for success – the bad apples get marginalized or worked around, as long as they’re not at critical mass; but bad management makes success nearly impossible.

So I look at these union stories of vicious and hostile deliberate one-up-manship by both sides against each other, and I just shake my head.  As Mitt Romney notably said recently: “It doesn’t have to be this way.”

Mike Devx – I can relate to what you recount. My first career job was with a small manufacturing company with terrible management and terrible union relations. One was constantly trying to undermine the other, to the point where by decisions by management inevitably resulted in some major piece of equipment being sabotaged.

Unfortunately, management didn’t have any respect for any of their employees (union, administrative or professional) and that became the culture of the company. The company was small enough that it should have been able to enforce a cultural change but, unfortunately, was too vested in the current management to be able so to do. So, it stagnated and was eventually bought. With large companies, massive cultural changes take strong leadership and generations to enforce.

To paraphrase James Carville: “it’s the culture, stupid”.

Incidentally, I’ve been car shopping and looked at a comparison between a Japanese model and a Ford: the equivalent Ford model costs about $7,000 more than the Japanese model. I suspect that a major in the price difference is the decades of built-up, union-driven health and retirement benefits that Ford has to carry on its books.