Feel the rage

Yesterday, I wrote about incrementalism.  My point was that it took conservatives decades to get into this mess and that we have to expect it to take decades to get out of the mess.  Reversing ObamaCare was never going to be the magic moment that reversed a trend that started with Roosevelt, and that got two big boosts, one under Johnson and the other under Obama.  We have to fight myriad small battles, starting with the upcoming election.

Actually, the upcoming election is the easy one.  We’re feeling the rage.  We’re pushing and moving.  It’s the next election, and the next one, and the next one, not to mention tracking what’s going on in our local schools, encouraging our young ones to speak up in school, to storm the newspapers, to set up alternative media, etc.

One of the things that’s both irritating and effective about the Left is that it’s always enraged.  It’s always out there pushing and fighting and urging and co-opting and doing whatever else the heck it needs.  (I know there’s not a single “it” out there.  There is, instead, a collective of humans, but these humans are remarkably for their endless energy.)  Conservatives tend to be complacent or, perhaps, we simply conserve our energy for the big fight.

Of course, it’s that innate conservativism, that passivity, that allowed us — meaning the American nation — to get into this semi-socialized mess in the first place.  The past 70 years have shown that we’ll periodically rouse ourselves for some big battles, but we ignore the continuous lesser battles that the Left wages.  If we win in November, my bet is on us doing precisely the same:  we’ll celebrate our victory, and then lapse back into our usual torpor.  At that point, of course, the Left moves, and it moves fast, hard, and relentlessly.

Here’s the deal:  If we’re programmed by our conservative nature to sit inert until the big fights come along, we’re going to lose the cultural and political war.  We just will.  We’re trying to swing a big hammer periodically, even as we’re getting eaten from the ground up by small bugs.  We have to overcome our inertia and fight continuously.  We cannot relax, nor is it sufficient for us to fight a defensive battle.  This political and social war requires constant, active, aggression — not physical violence, but aggression in the world of the mind.

If we don’t fight, if we don’t feel the rage, we will lose, and we’ll deserve to lose.

Comments

1. DirtyJobsGuy says

My wife always asks me what she should do when angered by the leftist trash my family members post on Facebook (without reading just passing them along).   I often say she should  just ignore it and keep the peace.    But now,  I think she should post simple replies like “how do you know this is correct?” and place a marker on the table.
    The “preference cascade” is real, and it only takes a few to disrupt the perception that everyone thinks the same thing.

At a recent town budget meeting here in New England,  I raised a few valid points.   Since I wasn’t one of the usual town “cranks”  the powers that be swooped down to find out what I was all about.   They are always afraid the lid will come off and the true beast can be seen.

Keep politely and accurately saying what’s true in public whenever the need arises.  It works

2. BrianE says

The Culture War? Lost, Lost, Lost.

My daughter recently told me of a tweet or a facebook post by a pop singer commenting that- “it says something when girls are more worried about losing their cell phones than their virginity.”

I don’t think she was implying it says anything positive.

The god of this age has spent human existence driving a wedge between us and our Creator. The wedge is now a chasm.

I agree we need to fight for our children. It would be nice if they could enjoy even a brief period of  innocence. Instead our culture shoves it’s rotting vulgarity into their faces at every opportunity, and thumbs its noses as parents helplessly object.

That is not to say we don’t need to work tirelessly to see President Romney elected. But we need to be mindful that the last Republican president and congress were disasters when it came to controlling the federal budget. But we should have known that. President Bush claimed only to be a compassionate conservative, who, as it turns out, was more of a classic democrat than fiscal conservative.

Education spending from 2002 to 2004 rose from $46.2 billion to $60.6 billion under Bush. The grand compromise funding school choice in failing districts as part of the deal was subsequently stripped or ignored at the state level. So the compromise that saw education spending balloon in exchange for reform was never realized and what remained were the complaints by democrats that spending was not increased enough.

How many times will that scenario be repeated before we finally realize we’re Charlie Brown to the democrat’s Lucy. Charlie never figured it out either.

“You either have to be part of the solution, or you’re going to be part of the problem– there ain’t no more middle ground.”

-Eldridge Cleaver

Time to define “middle ground” and certainly time to define, what is a conservative. The November 2010 election and control of the House was not due to the conservative base, but thanks to the Tea Party.  There is no middle ground – only quicksand. We need a hundred Issas and another hundred Wests because Romney will never be mistaken for either man. We’ll vote for Romney but it will mean nothing unless there are more real conservatives in both Houses.

4. skullbuster says

Two quotes applicable:

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.”   John Adams

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.” Ronald Reagan

I’ve been in a Facebook discussion with a very large liberal audience regarding the Obamacare fiasco. The question that made them all shut up was, “why do you think Congress exempted themselves from Obamacare, if it was a such a big deal?”. Plant seeds.

6. jj says

The issue isn’t that we run out of “rage,” or that we lose interest.  It isn’t “torpor” either.  The issue is that we – being logical creatures – cannot believe that the lesson has to be proved over and over and over and over and over again, because these goddam liberals are incapable of learning!  Take the most current example: in under two full years Scott Walker of Wisconsin reversed the liberal mess there, took the state from the red to the black ink bottle, firmly established thst every word he said was 100% true, and the silly sons-of-bitches STILL didn’t believe what was right in front of their noses and tried the recall anyway!     So I don’t think it’s a failure of rage, or will, as much as it’s a tendency to think that once you prove it, it’s proved.  Like: yes, the goddam planet is round, it was round yesterday, it’s still round today, and it’ll remain round tomorrow – AND WHY DO I NEED TO PROVE THIS AGAIN!  WHAT DOES IT TAKE FOR YOU SHITWITS TO GET THE MESSAGE?    That, I suspect, is what Reagan was talking about.  You have to fight them all the time; you can never relax, because even if you make it plainly apparent that your solution works and the liberal BS doesn’t, the concept of proof bounces right off.  There is no concept of proof, between the ears they’re very simple creatures, liberals, and by this morning they’ve lost everything they learned yesterday.  And it’s not torpor, and it’s not lack of interest – it’s a disbelief that anybody could be so damned dumb that they need to be told AGAIN!    It isn’t complacence; it’s disbelief.  It’s hard for logical people to believe that an operation like the democrat party is even viable at this point, they have so routinely screwed up everything they get near.  How the hell does anyone manage to cast a vote for them with a straight face?  The party of Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Sheila Jackson Lee – these people are genuinely not right between the ears.  How the hell could anyone with any pretension to a brain cast a vote for Pelosi, an actual madwoman?   Tht’s our biggest problem.  These people have real “between-the-ears” issues, and we simply don’t believe people could possibly vote for for them.  So we don’t stay on top of it.  Having established tht the world is round, we don’t see a need to keep proving it.

I am in a particularly foul mood because one of my favorite annual celebrations has been pissed on. So pardon me this little rant.

I take objection to all of the “we” stuff in this post, Book, because some of us have been fighting in the trenches for years. “We” have been taking liberals shooting. “We” have explained to those younger than ourselves why “we” don’t vote for handouts to old people (just in virtue of their age), kids (same) and cripples (same), although “we” give to worthy charitable organizations. “We” changed our personal circumstances to get out of a state where “we” didn’t have a voice– at the potential cost of serious career detriment (which didn’t happen b/c “we” are in charge of our future). “We” raised kids who now in their 20s are still naive but who detest waste and bullshit and most importantly, don’t want to be told what to do. “We” raised individuals. One by one, they are figuring it out. “We” have been spreading the message LOUD AND CLEAR for a very very long time. We have lost some friends. We have gained some allies.

The reason “we” are in this mess is not because of me.

~~

I take it most folks here have received their OFFICIAL REPUBLICAN PARTY DOCUMENT — DO NOT DESTROY.

To quote Miss Nancy, “Are you serious?”

The reason “we” are in this mess is because “you” have been timid.

I note that I have no idea who you are, Book. My name is Marica Bernstein.

8. jj says

Marcia, I always get my official documents, and my surveys – and I always carefully fill them out.  But – I printed out a bunch of stickers, which I attach right on top of the paragraph asking me how big my donation will be.  It says: “I’m happy to give you my opinions.  But George H. W. Bush, Bob Dole, and John McCain have made it certain you get none of my dough.  You will not ever get any, either, until you can demonstrate that the GOP has greatly wised up.”  Do something similar – but definitely do the surveys, and tell the silly bastards what you think.

Marica, that was one noble rant. You are absolutely right.

Most people that contribute to this blog fight the good fight day-in, day-out, in their own way. I can’t let myself get upset that people in general (that includes me) are screw-ups and that we make the same mistakes over and over again. Our American experiment was never going to change basic human nature but only, perhaps, keep it in check. So, I try to convince people by the example of my own life and try to change hearts and souls one at a time instead of trying to change the world. First, though, I also need to fix myself.

When I began mountain climbing in my youth, in the long hikes to our climbs (no 4-w drives, then), I always anticipated that I would see our destination “over the next rise”. But, once over the rise, there was always another hill to get over. Many rises later, when I was a bit older, I learned to stop fixating on the destination and focus on the journey one step at a time, with the realization that “we get there when we get there.” I’ve looked back on that as a good metaphor for life.

My initial reaction to the Supreme Court ruling was supreme disappointment. Now, though, I see it as just one more step that we need to take on a very long slog of a march that will never end. If we lose, we lose, but I do want to be able to reflect on my deathbed that I fought the good fight on the right side of history. Our forefathers (the American Revolution, Civil War, WWI, the Great Depression…that one, not this one…and WWII) had it much worse than we have it now and they persevered. We, too, shall persevere.

Marica, the reason that some people, like Book, use noms de plume like Bookworm is that there is a need to separate our political identities from our “business life” identities. Sad but true, in today’s world – the Left has made the personal political. I know Book personally and she does have a lot to lose personally and professionally by expressing her views.

10. debiesam says

The power-hungry have very strong incentives to gain more power. They are driven. Thus, sustaining the “rage” to hold them back is difficult. The founding fathers did their best to create a system that could contain this power hunger, but, sadly, it wasn’t perfect.

No incrementalism for me. Ronald Reagan, when he came into office, shook things up because he did a lot in a short amount of time — the first 100 days, remember? I think we’re lost if we depend on incrementalism. This Supreme Court ruling could have a big shake-up, but John Roberts was a coward.

11. weathtd says

Very hard not to feel the rage when chickens–t Republicans are already surrendering on Obamacare.  McConnell is already crawfishing saying repeal is not so easy due to all its implications.  Bulls–t with a capital B.  All it takes is a one line bill repealing the entire act.  Only total rage by two or three million people marching on Washington and covering ALL the politicians with tar and feathers will get anything done.

Thanks for the charitable reading of the rant.

jj: Great idea! I included a short document detailing why I thought some of the questions themselves were so wrong-headed.

Danny L.: Thanks. (Nobel is good here, right?) I have little doubt that Book and her readers do what they feel they can, just as I and my husband (whose a hard-core Libertarian and a fairly well know, in certain circles, academic) do. We are not bashful about engaging– rationally– his Lefty colleagues. I certainly don’t mean to single out Book, by the way. Her post was the straw on my foul mood’s back. But what I don’t understand is this:

“…does have a lot to lose personally and professionally by expressing her views.”

We all have a lot to lose: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

p.s. I enjoy reading your comments. I wrote something several years ago which captures my … non-understanding of your words, above. I tried all day to think of a way to incorporate it into my own blog, and link, but 1) I’m all for shameless self-promotion but it just didn’t seem appropriate (what an old fashioned notion), and 2) I couldn’t figure out how to do it. Anyway, if you are so inclined, email me at miss dot guerrilla dot farmer at GMX dot com and I’ll send it along.

Good evening to all.

I think the Republicans are finally realizing that bipartisanship will not work and has never worked. It has only further helped progress Leftist plans and goals. The political power in DC is designed to further the power groups of the Left, not just one politician or even one party. And even if the Republicans don’t get it…. the rest of the nation has been getting it. In small doses.

The reason why the Left fights is because it benefits them. It doesn’t benefit some farmer or businessman to study up on psychological warfare and how to rape or intimidate political enemies into obedient slaves. Not a market for that. But Democrats do it because it’s a career for them. The Leftist alliance pays people to protest. They are the cannonfodder, because that is their source of income and bread. The rich people like Soros fund the Leftist alliance, plus taxes redistributed and laundered through other corporate, union, and bureaucratic organizations.

Until Americans become professional warriors or soldiers at breaking the back of Leftist power, there will only be militia or home guards. They will only mobilize when a threat appears. They will not mobilize during planting season, march out and meet the enemy.

To destroy the Left, one must destroy it utterly. By that I mean Carthage or what the Islamic hordes did to Alexandria or Persia. Wipe out the base cultural matrix and rebuild it based upon your own image.

It’s not that people dislike or like fighting. It’s that people don’t go to counter insurgency, insurgency, or total war against the Left. They think they can win by utilizing subtle, ineffective tactics and strategies. That has been the slogan for 100 years. It hasn’t done much except slow down the cancer.