Would you like a little politics with that sandwich?

Liberals always get terribly bent out of shape when anyone dares to offer an opinion not completely consistent with liberal orthodoxy. If that person happens to be in business, liberals reflexively do everything possible to take their revenge against the business.  The reaction to comments by Chick-fil-A’s president illustrates the point.  How dare he oppose gay marriage!  He should be put out of business!

As the linked article explains:  “A Chicago alderman vowed to block a Chick-fil-A proposed in his district, and Mayor Rahm Emanuel supported him, saying, ‘Chick-fil-A values are not Chicago values.’ Boston Mayor Thomas Menino wrote in a letter to Cathy: ‘There is no place for discrimination on Boston’s Freedom Trail and no place for your company alongside it.'”

Conservatives tend not to react with such outrage, but, then, conservatives tend to believe in free speech, while liberals value political correctness more highly.  Personally, I think that Chick-fil-A’s president has every right to speak out and those who disagree have every right to dissociate themselves from Chick-fil-A.  But I believe politicians go too far when they attempt to surpress speach they disagree with, by such acts as blocking a company from doing business in their district because of the comments of its president (or board members, or founder or anybody else).  What do you think?

Comments

1. Randall Woodman says

Imagine a company that states that it supports gay marriage and a mayor of a city saying they are going to stop them from doing business there.  The left would hyperventilate trying to condemn the mayor. The left’s definition of free speech is speech that only agrees with them.  Anything else must be mocked and chastised.

2. JKB says

This is just gameshow politics.  Now that these idiots have tied denial of a business license/permit to protected speech, they’d be fools to stop Chick-fil-A from opening.  However, they get the press, the “bonifides” and when it is show that their act is unconstitutional, the can rail against the Constitution.  But in the end, they’ll still get a successful business in their tax base.  If they were serious about keeping Chick-fil-A out, they could have sandbagged the license/permits without ever revealing an actionable reason.

In Chicago, a city run by and for thugs, aldermen have veto power of business licenses in their wards. They don’t have to give a reason. Of course, palm grease helps.

Here’s Instapundit’s comment on this matter:

“The Alderman should be glad the owners of Chik-Fil-A are forgiving Christian types. If I owned Chik-Fil-A, I’d file a lawsuit that would ruin him. And hire private investigators to look into his finances, because there’s only one way that ends for a Chicago Alderman. . . .”

What he said.

5. jj says

If I could find a Chick-fil-A – never been in one – I’d most definitely go there.  In fact where the hell are they?  I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one.

You always have to love it when anybody from Chicago, of all places, makes an attempt to seize the moral high ground. I occasionally wonder, does Chicago genuinely not know what the entire rest of the country thinks of them?  Are they that thick?  Could anybody be that thick?  Don’t they watch Kelsey Grammar?  When Rahm Emanuel talks about “Chicago values,” does he truly not know that what immediately springs into the minds of most Americans is a vision of cement boots?  Some mothers do have ‘em, I guess.

6. Oldflyer says

Rahm Emanuel’s hypocrisy is breath taking.  He makes a point of praising an Islamic based organization and its leader–and there is no group more homophobic in the entire world.  In Muslim controlled countries they execute homosexuals.  Then he castigates Chik-Fil-A.  A pox!

JJ, I don’t know where you live, but there are plenty of Chik-Fil-A restaurants in Virginia; and yes, I now see them around my new home in California.  And they are popular.

If I were advising the management, however, I would say to stay out of Chicago, and Boston too.  It just isn’t worth it.  Chik-Fil-A is a very successful operation.  They do not  need the endless aggravation that would come with a presence in those hypocritical cesspools of leftist small mindedness.  Open  new stores in Shanghai or Tokyo.  Riyadh  would certainly embrace their alleged homophobic orientation.

By the way,  IMOH Chik-Fil-A commercials are the most entertaining bits on contemporary television.

7. jj says

Northwest corner, out on the Olympic Peninsula, Flyer – they’re not here.  Or in Seattle.  Or New York, that I’ve ever seen.  Next time I’m in SoCal – probably this fall – I’ll keep an eye out, and be sure to patronize one.  Several times, if it’s any good!

8. Libby says

This is why a lot of people of the “live and let live” variety are turned off by the same sex marriage movement. As they showed us leading up to the CA Prop 8 vote, they are bullies. They don’t want tolerance, they want to be embraced 100% and the complete destruction of those people and institutions holding an opposing view,
    The disturbing part is how politicians are now joining in, even when it so clearly violates the 1st Amendment. I’m curious about why they selected Chick-fil-A and why now? Do Rahm, Moreno and Menino feel free to behave this way now that Obama has “evolved” on gay marriage? Is this political theater an attempt to shore up the LGBT vote and get more donations from them? Does the owner of Chick-fil-A donate a significant amount of money to his pet causes that he needs to be neutralized? Can’t take these things at face value anymore.

9. Rich0116 says

The really pathetic thing is that the president of Chik-fil-A never actually said anything in direct condemnation of gay marriage.  He was asked about his charitable work and he confirmed that he donates to charities which are Christian and which support traditional marriage.  Apparently, to what passes for journalism in some corners, “supporting traditional marriage” = “opposing gay marriage”.  It may be a subtle point (too subtle for so-called journalists) but it’s important.  If people let the Left get away with rhetorical sleight-of-hand like this, it will only end badly.

10. bizcor says

JJ For some reason I believe they are based down south. I see the signs for them when we drive to Florida. However I did an internet search the other day to see if there was one around here (NH) and did find 3 within 50 or so miles and interestingly two of the three are in Massachusetts in the Boston suburbs. They are in shopping malls up here but down south they are in free standing buildings. Yes it would be fun to see Chik Fil A file a lawsuit because they would probably win. However think about it. The advertising they’re getting right now would cost millions. Even jj up in northwest Washington where they probably don’t exist has heard of them now and the majority of population that is conservative will most likely go into one now. The people who are now going to boycott are who, the radical gays and lesbians? I follow the Gay Patriot on Twitter and he says he is going to continue to patronize them. I’d be willing to bet their already thriving business is really booming this week. Former Governor Mike Huckabee has called for Wednesday August 1st to be support Chik Fil A day. NH only has two television stations so much of the TV we get originates from Boston, thus we are privileged to see and hear Mayor Menino speak and it is quite humorous as he has some sort of speech impediment or something thus it is very hard to understand him. His detractors refer to him as “Mumbles” Menino and he looks like he would be quite comfortable at a meeting of the Mafioso, not that that organization exists of course. This is all cover for Barack Obama and his dismal record. This gives the media something to talk about so they don’t have make up good things to say about over beloved President because even they know he has been pathetic. In my opinion we are going to see a lot more of this kind of thing until after the election for the same reason.

11. MacG says

These Mayors are PC wise and go pound sand up your a$$ foolish.  The economy is sinking which Gay establishment to they propose to replace the jobs that they just cost their constituents? It is these Mayors that are anti jobs and pro depression.   I hear that the black unemployment rate is double that of the rest of the demographics.  Perhaps some of them would like to have had a job in those cities – (using Left Outfield Logic (LOL)) this means that these Mayors are RACISTS!!!!!! At least they are not homophobic…come to think of they truly ARE afraid of the Homosexuals to limit job opportunities in favor of placating that small but buitchy minority of the homosexual and leftist population. :) :)

12. Gringo says

I found it rather amusing to hear Mayor Rahm talking about Chicago values. My take on Chicago values: stuff the ballot boxes and steal what is not bolted down. Not to mention sleazemongerers like David Axelrod.

There are Chick-Fil-As in my town. The only time I ate at one was with a freebie coupon. Some time this week I will pay full price for a sandwich.

R Emmanuel is not a hypocrite. When someone says their ally is right and you are wrong, and kills you and protects his ally, is that a hypocrite? No, that’s someone who is sane. Evil, but sane.

14. Ron19 says

‘There is no place for discrimination on Boston’s Freedom Trail and no place for your company alongside it.’

Huh?

Isn’t one of the definitions of insanity the ability to hold two self-contradictory thoughts in your mind at the same time, and hold that both are true?