The heck with conventional wisdom: this is a different kind of election

Seniors will hate Ryan, we’re told, because he’s going to destroy their Medicare (never mind that this isn’t true).

Young people will hate Romney and Ryan, we’re told, because they’re uncool white men, who want to destroy all the entitlements this generation has grown up expecting.

Except….

Except today I was standing in line at the pharmacy, and the elderly patient getting her prescription filled and the young (late 20s) Hispanic pharmacy clerk filling that prescription were having a spirited conversation, with both vehemently agreeing that the status quo is a disaster and that Romney and Ryan are the last, best hope to fix it.  My position in line meant that I missed most of the conversation, but I definitely heard, “Look at what’s happened to the price of gas in the last three years” (that was the clerk) and “There won’t be anything left for my grandchildren” (that was the elderly lady).

This is a different kind of election, and I think conventional wisdom is as behind the times as the CIA was in 1989.

Comments

1. TREGONSEE says

I remind my Lib friends that when you have a revolution, whether by bullet or ballot, there are some things you need to know.  First, you need to know where you want to go.  Check.  Second, you need to know where you are.  And that is the rub.  The America which they see has no resemblance to that seen by those outside the Beltway, or the faculty lounge.  Even if the latter differs from some metaphysical reality, it explains why the majority persists in thinking and behaving in ways the Left doesn’t understand.

I suspect that you are right, Book. Just recently, a (very Liberal) facebook friend posted this video on his page (sent to him by his sister). This man has thousands of friends that usually comment. This time, however, there was a stunned lack of response to this video, other than a few OMGs.

People just may be willing to wake up to the true situation this time around. if they don’t, well…we will just have to resign ourselves to becoming a third-world backwater like Argentina.

3. Simplemind says

Those people you heard talking have skin in the game. The senior and they lady working behind the pharm counter.   Too many people do nothing and wait for the hand out. They are riding the gravy train. Even a lot of middle class families no longer pay federal income taxes, so they think federal income taxes on other people are not their problem.   You would have heard a different conversation if you were standing in line for a welfare check.

Hope there are still enough productive people left who want to work for their own sucess. I think that is still the case, but I believe the slackers are about 30 to 35%.

The young people, they are already in chains to their student loans. Sad. Even if they get work, their wage slavery continues for decades. For what? A vanity degree from a vanity university?

Best thing you can do for your kids is tell then not go into debt to study a major that is economically worthless.   If they want to chase their “dreams” aka fantasies, they should work first and save and self finance their dream later — like after they retire from a paying career and then take up studying anthropology.

4. MorowbieJukes says

Under Marxism, eventually everyone’s ox is gored (with the exception of the parasitic nomenklatura).

Funny how the most earnest Obama supporters are paying $4.00 for a gallon of gas like the rest of and are also paying somewhere between 20 and 40% more for various foodstuffs.  Those earnest supporters are also underemployed or unemployed like everyone else.

Even the welfare recipients are noticing that ‘the check’ doesn’t got quite as far as it used to.

I know several people who voted for Obama, lived to regret it and will now be voting Republican.  I still haven’t met anyone that is switching their allegiance in the other direction, but then, I don’t live in Washington DC.

5. Old Buckeye says

Thanks for the link to the budget explanation, Danny. Quite graphic! I sent it on, even to the lib-leaners in my address book. One of them won’t read anything I send if it comes from a “known” conservative site, but since that guy is “just some guy who happens to know about budgets,” maybe she will take a look and get the message!! If people don’t wise up this go-round, it’s over.

Back in 1980 I was pretty much a diehard liberal. Yet when it came time to vote to re-elect Jimmy The Jew Hater Carter, I just couldn’t pull the lever. I detested Ronald Reagan (I’ve since recanted) but not more than I detested the idea of four more years of an arrogant incompetent sleeping in my White House. Although I didn’t vote for either man, my non-vote for Carter was multiplied several million times.

I suspect that there will be many facsimiles of 1980 me out there come this November, folks who can’t stand the thought of Romney in the White House but can’t stand the thought of Obama remaining there even more.

7. skullbuster says

Reading Old Buckeye brings to mind a story.  I live in a fanical University of Alabama football town.  Several years ago I had a request from a younger friend that his parents from Toledo was retiring, moving to town and would I get his father-in-law out on the golf course since he’d know nobody.

Easily done, we became fast buddies and play at least twice a week, even though he’s an avid Ohio State fan, an Auto Workers Union member and is a self described liberal (he says just a little left of Nancy Pelosi and I describe myself as just right of Atilla the Hun). It really is amazing though that when we get down to basics we actually aren’t that far apart on solutions.  Once people agree our problems boil down to the country is broke with no hope of the Government being able to guarantee everyone a “living wage”by taxing, the only solution is to cut services.

We have figured out that the reason we can come to these simple solutions is that we don’t have to be re-elected and we think this system could replace our Republic since we know we would be fair to everyone.

Now, we might have a problem when Alabama wins the BCS again next year.

We all have been told that this election is a pivotal election.

I do NOT believe that is true.

I reflect on the concept of the Civil War, and elections, and rather, a pivotal PERIOD covering many election cycles.

We are in the burgeoning phases of the next civil war.  It will not be as “nicely” geographiphic as that one.  Please identify the critical election of the Civil War?  Hard to do, until the firing on Fort Sumter.  The criticial election can only be identified in retrospect.

Make no mistake: We are in a critical *period* as important as the Civil War period.  The potential for the same % of blood in the streets matters.  We are talking up to a million dead due to strife.  But WHICH election is critical, compared to the Missouri Compromise of 1932, and all the various elections up through 1860; the civil war already raging in the “hinterlands” of Nebraska/Kansas 10 years before the official outbreak?

The Civil War was, in truth, an economics battle; and the battle coming is the same.  Call the Civil war what you wil, but it was essentially “slavery and serfdom” – or if you don’t like “serfdom” call it “sharecropping” – vs market consensual agreement.  North vs South was just a geographic convenience.  There’s so such convenient “North vs South” in the current philosophical argument.

We are in merely the opening phases of the Big Argument.  We’re closer to the Missouri Compromise than we are to the firing on Fort Sumter and the blood on the ground.  But this TRULY AS BIG an argument as the Civil War war was.

But the election itself?  2012 is just another stepping stone.  Much more to say.  Another time.  This is a Big Period.  As big and potentially as bloody as the Cvil War.  But in elections in a particular year…  but not a big election.