W. Kamau Bell, Barack Obama, and black voters

There used to be an old joke that the Jewish vote pivoted on each Jew asking himself this question “Is it good for the Jews?”  Not a very nice stereotype, but probably a true one — and true for any group in America, whether white, WASP, Jewish, Catholic, Asian, Baptist, Hindu, etc.  What’s sad, though, is that the Left is telling blacks that they shouldn’t bother asking that question, probably because honest answer to “Is Obama good for American blacks?” would have to be a resounding “No!”

The Obama years have not treated blacks well.  A year ago, black unemployment was not only double white unemployment, it was also the highest it had been in twenty-seven years.  The only part of “Hope and Change” that blacks got out of this administration turned out to be small change . . . very, very small change.  Things have improved in the past year, but only slightly.  As of today, black unemployment stands at more than 14% — although President Barack “Nothing is my Fault” Obama claims that this failing is all the fault of state and local governments.  It might be time for the President to rummage through the White House attic and dig out Harry Truman’s old desk placard, the one that read “the buck stops here.”

Or maybe not.  W. Kamau Bell, who is Chris Rock’s anointed new voice of black social/political comedy.  Bell began one of his shows by replaying Biden’s now infamous Romney/Ryan will put “y’all back in chains” statement.  Bell made three points, none of which struck me as amusing, but all of which sounded quite honest:  (a) Biden shouldn’t have said  that; (b) Biden needn’t have said that, because blacks will vote for Obama regardless; and (c) it will help the Obama campaign if Biden stops pandering to a demographic that’s already in Obama’s pocket.

Despite the assurance that Obama owns the black body politic, Bell was, apparently, still a little worried.  You see, the problem isn’t that Biden thinks he’s black.  It’s the blacks might be thinking that Obama isn’t black enough.  Bell’s responsibility, therefore, is to promise blacks that Obama is not an Oreo:

I actually appreciate Bell’s honesty. He’s straightforward about the actual Obama campaign theme for 2012, which is “Vote for me because I’m black(ish).” Still, I think it’s terribly said that we’ve gone from having voters ask themselves (selfishly, but truthfully) “Is this candidate going to be good for my social/racial/ethnic/religious group?” to insisting that voters ask themselves only whether the candidate has enough melanin not to be considered white.  Once that question is out there, the candidate not only isn’t good for a given social/racial/ethnic/religious group, he’s not good for America either.

Comments

1. skullbuster says

You know Book, I began reading you because I stumbled on one of your stories about Israel or Jews.  I keep comming back because of your insight.  I must admit your regular commenters are a lot of the attraction also.

Being about as goy as you get (as a matter fact my mom’s grandmother was a Davis of Jeff ‘s fame), but I ended up marrying an ex-wife of a conservative rabbi.  It’s interesting since it seems you have a mixed marriage (Dem. & Rep,). With the differences that I have in my marriage, we have have had to talk and LISTEN to each other to keep it going, which brings me to my point.

Yesterday, browsing in the local Barnes & Nobles, I saw OBama’s “Audacity Of Hope” in a large display at the store and became curious if D’Souza’s or Klein’s book were likely displayed.  I found “The Amateur” in a small display with O’Reilly’s book and Hannity’s book all marked at 40% off. “The Roots of OBama’s Rage”  was nowhere to be found.

I could not bring myself to ask the clerks where it might be because I was afraid of offending their ethnicity, not political persuasion but ethnicity. I also did not go to a white clerk because that would be admitting I had a problem. How wrong is that? I, a retired, successful business man is intimidated by someone’s race.  There is something extremely wrong. Did just experience what black’s have lived with for hundreds of years?

We are completely closing off any type of debate or discussion.  I saw where the Dems want the national debt off limits in the debates and they dont want the details of that sex scandal in the Dep’d of Homeland Security revealed.

2. Gringo says

I liked the video. Did Obama actually sing that Al Green song, or was that photoshopped? Or should I say Milli-Vanilli-ed.  Walter Russell Mead has a newsworthy article on “The Last Compromise,” which, among other things, points out that the coming downsizing in government employment will disproportionately affect blacks. A program which was supposed to help blacks- the easy money mortgages- ended up hurting them more. From his article:

The median net worth of black households collapsed, falling by 59 percent between 2005 and 2010, wiping out twenty years of progress and plunging to levels not seen since Ronald Reagan’s first term. By comparison, the net worth of white households only fell by 18 percent from 2005 to 2010.

This reminds me of  Ronald Reagan’s famous words: “The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, ‘I’m from the government and I’m here to help.'”
    For all the machinations of Wall Street in the mortgage mess, I doubt that Wall Street would have gotten involved to the degree it did in pushing subprime mortgages if  the Feds had not been pushing easy money mortgages. The government tried to help, with the easy money mortgages, and ended up hurting those whom it was trying to help.

I don’t know what the solution is for blacks. Given the history of government do-gooders making things worse, with the collapse of the black family dovetailing with the increase in welfare from the 1960s, and the easy money mortgage mess, we need to be VERY  careful in what our governments do.

3. Gringo says

skullbuster

I recall reading that some of Obama’s maternal relatives may have been related to Jeff Davis. From Dreams From My Father:
     …that while one of my great-great-grandfathers, Christopher Columbus Clark, had been a decorated Union soldier, his wife’s mother was rumored to have been a second cousin of Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederacy;

Of course we know how those family rumors turned out for Elizabeth Warren, a.k.a.Chief Fauxahantas. :)

While Jeff Davis was a goy, he had experience in dealing with the non-goyim. Judah Benjamin was Secretary of State for the Confederacy.

Is it Trivia Tuesday yet?

Skullbuster: You’re right about the fact that race has become so divisive in the last 20 years or so that it fully equals the poisonous sensitivities of the pre-Civil Rights era. The government imposed segregation of the past has become the alternately fearful or self-righteous segregation of the present. Without any hesitation, I blame the left, for seizing the Civil Rights opportunity, not to make race irrelevant in America, but to make it the strongest wedge issue possible.

Gringo: Your reminded me of the words of another Republican president whom the press unfairly savaged as an idiotic yokel. (Okay, the press savages all Republicans as idiotic yokels, but I’m thinking of Gerald Ford.) His words were “A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.”

As for Obama’s ancestors, I’m beginning to think that, once one pushes away all the lies, one will discover he was hatched, not born.

Speaking of “hatched” I came across this today. Overall black unemployment hovers around 15%. For black teens it’s 40%. Further along in the linked article, it becomes clear that a GED is not a stipulation – the middle and high school aged kids just have to show that they “tried” to get one over a two-year period. Obama isn’t as black as his supporters think he is and that he hates blacks and whites equally (mother/father problems – they both were lousy parents). My point here is that the additional one and half million hispanics to the rolls creates more problems among all the unemployed with race relations deteriorating even further.

Administration officials confirmed on Tuesday that they have expanded the White House immigration policy for younger illegals to include low-skill immigrants who have not completed middle school or high school.
    The shift adds roughly 350,000 low-skill immigrants to the Department of Homeland Security policy, which was initially portrayed as including only 800,000 people under the age of 31 when it was announced by President Barack Obama in a Rose Garden statement on June 15.

Gringo, I read the entire article ‘The Last Compromise’.  I too thought it was well done.  But as usual, I didn’t like the liberal philosophy behind much of it.

Time after time I caught the author (Walter Russell Mead) using the ‘victimization theme’.  About the only time he didn’t was when he discussed how black communities managed to find ways to thrive and band together and actually prosper during parts of the 20th Century even while facing vicious apartheid policy in the South.

Yes, inherent racism throughout decades, even centuries, takes its toll.  But after segregation officially ended (slowly from 1948-1964), you would then expect conditions to improve.  Even if slowly, they should have improved.  But many things went drastically wrong, especially for urban black communities, from 1968-on.  And government policy fostering dependency, and the destruction of black families as a result…  Mead gave complete short shrift to this vexing, horrifying problem.

At some point the leaders within those communities SHOULD have stepped up and tried to fix the problem.  They did not.  They should still, even NOW, step up and help fix the problem.  Still, they do not.  They have the community power, they have the power within the urban cities, to take the problem on.  But they do not.  Mead just leaves it as victimization.  Even after fifty years of urban political power, he views them all, even the leaders within black communities, as nothing but victims.  I think the black leadership within those communities abdicated on their responsibilities.