Barack Obama doesn’t know his Navy from his Army or Marines

In my previous post, I huffed and puffed about the fact that the top U.S. Commander in Afghanistan ruminated that, quite possibly, it was the NATO troops’ own fault that Afghan forces shot them, because NATO forces had been insensitive to the stress of Ramazan (the Afghan version of Ramadan).  My hope is that General Allen was playing a deep game, one that involves some degree of self-deprecating tact on camera, and aggressive action behind the scenes.  Otherwise….  Well, read my post.

Of course, it’s worth remembering that leadership begins at the top — and the top isn’t General John Allen in Afghanistan, it’s our august Commander-in-Chief, Barack Obama, he of “corpse”-man fame.

CIC Obama, leader of all American troops, has now added a new gaffe to his resume, one that sees him incapable of distinguishing the Navy from his other commands.  Thus, when he condescendingly dismissed a charge from Special Forces to the effect that, for political advantage, he’s been leaking military secrets, Obama managed to make this doozy of a mistake:

Perhaps most seriously, however, was Obama’s slip in an interview with KSDK in St Louis, Missouri when he was asked about the new 22-minute film ‘Dishonorable Disclosures’ by a group of former Special Forces troops and intelligence operatives.

‘I won’t take this film too seriously,’ he responded. ‘I gather that one of the producers is a birther who still doesn’t think I was born in this country.

‘You’ve got one who was a candidate, a Republican candidate for office. And a proud card carrying member of the Tea Party. So this is obviously a partisan film.

I care about what these folks do each and every day to protect our freedom.’

The difficulty with this is that William McRaven is and admiral not a general. As a SEAL, he is member of the US Navy, not US Army or US Marines.

You should actually read the whole article from which I quoted, because the Daily Mail is unsparing in highlighting Obama’s many gaffes — gaffes that are not just a matter of mixing up words but that, instead, bespeak a profound ignorance about the world, coupled with an arrogance that is ill-suited to a man who knows so little.

Speaking of arrogance, you did catch that, when introducing several NBA basketball players to a crowd, Obama said that “It is very rare I come to an event where I’m like the fifth or sixth most interesting person.”  This is a typical Obama self-referential joke, one that involves the unseemly spectacle of him placing his ego on display, before delicately backing away from that (to him) enchanting spectacle.  In other words, you just know he’s not joking.  In his mind, he is the most interesting person in every room.  Or maybe it’s just his teleprompter that is.

UPDATE: If anyone else is struggling to differentiate the different branches of our military, this picture might help. (Hat tip: Danny Lemieux)

(Just joking, Navy and Air Force. You know how much I love and respect you. But it’s still funny….)

Comments

Obama said:
    > Obama said that “It is very rare I come to an event where I’m like the fifth or sixth most interesting person.”  This is a typical Obama self-referential joke, one that involves the unseemly spectacle of him placing his ego on display, before delicately backing away from that (to him) enchanting spectacle.  In other words, you just know he’s not joking.  In his mind, he is the most interesting person in every room.

Thank you for pointing this out, Book.  Keep up the great work!

You can *always* tell a great deal about a person by the kinds of jokes they tell.  Some people reveal their complete inner meanness, because every joke they tell is mean at someone ELSE’s expense.  And some people reveal how much they think the world revolves around them.

And then there’s Obama… who does both.

Has he ever told a joke that simply, and mildly, pokes fun at himself?  Once again, I just do not understand WHY half the people in this country like this man.  Once you scratch the surface, there’s nothing to like.

2. JKB says

“…in terms of how deeply I care about what these folks do each and every day to protect our freedom.’

You know the interesting thing about that statement is, it in no way asserts a commitment to operational security by Obama.

Mike Devx…”Once again, I just do not understand WHY half the people in this country like this man.”

Nor do I. Hasn’t everyone known and disliked the kind of person who doesn’t care about doing his current job well but just angling for promotion to the next one? Doesn’t Obama’s contempt for just about everybody shine through clearly?

I guess the dinosaur media still has a lot of power.

4. JKB says

The services can be distinguished by their response to the order to “secure that building”.

The Marines stage a full assault achieving full control of the building or what’s left after the battle

The Army established defensive positions on and around the building

The Navy goes through turning off all the lights, ensuring offices are locked

The Air Force takes out a 10 year lease with an option to buy

5. Libby says

Our commander in chief messes up an Admiral’s rank while trivializing concern about national security leaks that were expressed by retired military and intelligence officers. I imagine this insult-gaffe combination made quite an impression on military personnel and their families (and anyone who cares about national security). This is much, much worse than typical gaffes (“say it in Austrian”) because it reveals his true contempt for the military.

6. JimU says

More terribly wrong with Obama’s statement.  This guy knows no shame.

‘I’d advise that you talk to General McRaven, who’s in charge of our Special Ops. I think he has a point of view in terms of how deeply I care about what these folks do each and every day to protect our freedom.’

As a member of the military, the Admiral cannot make negative public comments about our his commander and chief who unfortunately just happens to be Obama.  Even if he could, he’d be destroying his political career.

No shame.  Obama has to be voted out of office.

JimU, yes, that is another perfect example of Obama’s wily deviousness.

Obama knows they are compelled by law and honor to never speak ill of their Commander in Chief, no matter what they may actually believe.  So he then POLITICALLY uses that against them.  It’s devious and very nasty.

8. lee says

Well, it wasn’t on the TOTUS–how could he POSSIBLY be expected to remember the guy’s rank and service branch? I mean, he just has soooooo much on his mind! Like, red or green….

He doesn’t know these things because he’s too busy preparing his own civilian force that will be as powerful or more powerful than all those military arms combined. And when he gets it, the Left will use it to destroy all of their enemies. All of Them.

“Obama has to be voted out of office. ”

People might want to seriously consider voting 30% of the US population off the island. Because, Obama is just a symptom of the problem. Not the source of the cancer.