Comments

1. JKB says

So I’m betting on the Tea Partiers and Dems for Romney in deep blue areas to upset the polls.  I see these groups as not the type to blab their views to pollsters.  Tea Partiers have been taught that the MSM and the mainline of the parties are not likely to treat them well. Dems in deep blue areas who are not in groupthink are likely to feel reprisals at work, from friends, from family.  Good reasons to take this advice from David Mamet

The final Obama/Romney showdown: A note to a stiff-necked people | Opinion | Jewish Journal

Please remember that we have the secret ballot and, should you, on reflection, vote in secret for a candidate you would not endorse in public, you will not be alone.

2. Caped Crusader says

Personal observation:

I live less than a mile from the largest Orthodox synagogue in America and have seen no Obama signs and many Romney signs in yards in the nearby areas. There are always a good sampling of Republican signs since historically several Republican party leaders have been Jewish, but there have always been Democrat signs to lesser extent in the past. My neighborhood has many Jews since most walk to Temple. There is an even more Orthodox smaller synagogue less than a mile the other direction and the few Obama signs I have seen are not in Jewish yards where I know the residents.

3. heather says

Shen. Valley Virginia (my town leans conservative):

My husband went around 7 am and waited about 20 minutes.  I went with all four kids around 10 am (usually a light time), and had to wait an hour (very cold outside!).  Highest turnout that I’ve seen in the nine years I’ve lived here.  However, part of the long wait was due, not to high turnout, but to slow check in.  They only had two people checking ID’s, and they seemed slower than usual.  There was a woman standing behind each one observing.  So, because of the slow check-in, it’s hard for me to say how much higher the turnout really was.

The other odd thing was the lack of electioneering.  Usually there are quite a few people handing out brochures and chatting in the legally allowed area.  Today there was only one lady with a George Allen bumper sticker on her coat.

I love voting, and I love bringing all the kids with me!  If school is in session (it wasn’t today), I wait until it is out so they can come.  But only voting – I’ll do anything to avoid bringing them all grocery shopping.

4. Oldflyer says

Heather, my wife and I just moved to California from Fauquier County last Spring.  I miss election day in Virginia.  I handed out sample GOP ballots for the past several years.  It was fun to watch and interact with all of the upbeat people who just seemed happy to come and vote.

We were a pretty Conservative precinct, of course.  But, there was never any rancor across party lines, even in ’08 when the GOP folks could see the handwriting pretty clearly.  Everyone knew that McCain was not going to pull it out, and most considered him the less of two evils anyway.  But, folks turned out and were thankful that they could exercise their voting rights.
    Now, in California we vote by mail.  Not the same experience.

I take a walk every day around my Marin neighborhood. I try to vary my routes, so I cover a lot of my small town, which is a leftist bastion. The description “a herd of independent minds” probably was invented here.

Or so I thought. Recently I’ve been surprised by the presence of Romney/Ryan signs on the front lawns of some pretty fancy houses in some pretty tony parts of town. That tells me that even in the heart of Obamaland there is discontent.

I don’t expect California to flip for Romney, or many of my fellow countymen to come to their senses, but I think The One will come away from this neck of the woods with considerably fewer votes than he picked up in 2008.

6. Old Buckeye says

Just FYI–the Wall Street Journal online (wsj.com) is free starting at 5 p.m. EST today for election news. Possibly a little more trustworthy than anything on TV…

7. debiesam says

Here in San Francisco in my neighborhood I have only seen one Obama sign. Enthusiasm is way down, even here. Republicans started this election cycle more in an anti-Obama mood than pro-Romney. Now that’s flipped, and people are enthusiastic about Romney. But the opposite has happened with Obama. Most of my leftie friends are voting to prevent a Republican from getting elected, rather than to express any enthusiasm for Obama.

I am near Valley Forge National Park. I went to the polls at lunch. No New Black Panthers, No UN observers and only a few voters. What I did notice was the quiet. It felt like everyone was waiting for the other shoe to drop. I was pleased to see the R column was the first one on the electronic ballot box. I just made sure it registered R, before hitting the vote button. One and done.

If anyone needs a little comic relief, this should hold you for a few minutes minutes.

More news out of Sarasota: (try to contain the giggles)

Jill Green, a resident of Sarasota, Fla., who lives in the Indian-Beach/Sapphire Shores neighborhood, had her Obama election signs stolen twice from her yard, according to WWSB. She then received a postcard featuring a photo of former President Ronald Reagan next to President Barack Obama, captioned “Hero” and “Zero,” respectively. On the back of the card, the person wrote this:
    Ms Green,
    My apologies for your Democrat yard signs, but I can explain. I live around the corner from you and when I see signs that support Democrats I fear for the safety of our neighborhood. When thieves drive through Sapphire Shores scoping out possible targets and see pro-Democrat yard signs they automatically assume that the subdivision is filled with retards and half-wits. The gangsters think it’s easy pickings because they already know that if a person votes Democrat they probably don’t have the sense to come in out of the rain, not to mention locking their doors or securing their valuables. It is common knowledge amongst burglars that Democrats are anti-gun and anti-Second Amendment so when they see campaign signs that promote Democrats they know the homeowners are not armed and therefore unable to protect themselves from attack.
    You are not concerned about a robber breaking into your home because you have the Sarasota Police Department to guard and protect you. You sleep safe knowing what a great job they did with tracking down the hooligans that took the signs depicting your misguided support.
    — Bat Masterson
    Here’s the link for the story, including a video:

9. Zhombre says

Obama may lose but Democrats won’t admit defeat.  No way.  Liberals do not lose.  Ever.  How could they when they know, incontrovertibly, they are right, firmly on the side of history, progress, the planet, humanity, and so on and so forth.  If they do not win, the election was stolen.  Or bought (those wicked Koch brothers!  That damned Citizen United!).  Or voters were manipulated and brainwashed into voting against their own best interests.  That voters could rationally look at the candidate, at policies, at character and conduct in office,  at the record of the administration, and make a decision based on that observation and evaluation, well, that’s anathema.  An existentialist impossibility.  If liberalism loses, there’s an egregious flaw in the election.

On my recent 3-day trip to the Bay Area, I saw only 3 Obama bumper stickers during my drives through Marin Country, San Francisco and Berkeley. Hmmm!

It’s not looking good.  Dead heat in Florida, 81% reporting,  with highly populated Miami Dade still under-reporting, which i think is heavily Democratic?  Virginia and No Carolina still too close to call?  Apparently PA and WI already gone for Obama.

If this were a Republican wave election, Floria and North Carolina (and Virginia) would already be called for Romney.  Instead, unless Miami Dade ISN’T Democrat, Romney may lose Florida, if I understand the numbers.