Barack Obama: Lord of the Flies *UPDATED*

You undoubtedly saw this Drudge photoessay/headline:

Obama as Lord of the Flies

Looking at it, I kept thinking, “Gosh, that reminds me of something.” I finally figured out that it reminded me of a 1953 Isaac Asimov short story called “Flies.” Here’s a bare-bones plot summary from Wikipedia:

A group of former college students meet at a reunion twenty years after graduation and discuss their achievements. One of the ex students, now an animal behaviorist, is tormented by his ability to read the thoughts of his former friends in their small behavioral tics and gestures. He reflects on his life and research, as well the pain it has brought him, as one of his friends, and insecticide researcher, fights off the flies that continually crowd around him. Unbeknownst to all but the behaviorist, the flies’ behavior is caused by their belief that he is a deity.

What that summary misses is that Kendell Casey, the fly-surrounded friend, isn’t just any old deity.  He’s the Lord of the Flies or, in Hebrew, Beelzebub or, as we know him better, Satan.  Azimov himself mentions Satan in the story, as one of the three main characters is a divinity student who jokingly tells Casey that he must be the Lord of the Flies, and then talks about the reality of evil — which Casey sneeringly dismisses.  Interestingly, even as the flies regard Casey as their God, he views them as inconveniences to be destroyed.

“Flies” isn’t one of Azimov’s best, but it’s an interesting story about the small pettiness and malevolence of someone who is a God to even smaller beings than he is, with these beings worshiping him despite his hostility towards them and his desire to destroy them.

UPDATED:  Since we’re on the subject of flies, here’s a funny post that has nothing to do with politics, but lots to do with flies.

Comments

1. Book says

I agree with Charles, thank you for the thoughtful, and amusing, read. ;)

(I’m “Book” on other sites- including Ace of Spades and Neocon’s, but I just wanted to clarify that I am not the “Bookworm” and have nothing to do with the superb writing here on this blog.)

2. JohnC says

Look, I’m not an extraordinarily religious person.
    But due to the way this president has been making me feel lately I can’t help but find the symbolism of the pictures to be really spooky.
    I immediately thought of the association of flies with the Devil.
    I also thought of the plagues of Egypt though I will admit I had to look up where in the Bible it was located.

Exodus 8 (King James Version)

1 And the Lord spake unto Moses, Go unto Pharaoh, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord, Let my people go, that they may serve me.

2 And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs:

3 And the river shall bring forth frogs abundantly, which shall go up and come into thine house, and into thy bedchamber, and upon thy bed, and into the house of thy servants, and upon thy people, and into thine ovens, and into thy kneadingtroughs:

4 And the frogs shall come up both on thee, and upon thy people, and upon all thy servants.

5 And the Lord spake unto Moses, Say unto Aaron, Stretch forth thine hand with thy rod over the streams, over the rivers, and over the ponds, and cause frogs to come up upon the land of Egypt.

6 And Aaron stretched out his hand over the waters of Egypt; and the frogs came up, and covered the land of Egypt.

7 And the magicians did so with their enchantments, and brought up frogs upon the land of Egypt.

8 Then Pharaoh called for Moses and Aaron, and said, Intreat the Lord, that he may take away the frogs from me, and from my people; and I will let the people go, that they may do sacrifice unto the Lord.

9 And Moses said unto Pharaoh, Glory over me: when shall I intreat for thee, and for thy servants, and for thy people, to destroy the frogs from thee and thy houses, that they may remain in the river only?

10 And he said, To morrow. And he said, Be it according to thy word: that thou mayest know that there is none like unto the Lord our God.

11 And the frogs shall depart from thee, and from thy houses, and from thy servants, and from thy people; they shall remain in the river only.

12 And Moses and Aaron went out from Pharaoh: and Moses cried unto the Lord because of the frogs which he had brought against Pharaoh.

13 And the Lord did according to the word of Moses; and the frogs died out of the houses, out of the villages, and out of the fields.

14 And they gathered them together upon heaps: and the land stank.

15 But when Pharaoh saw that there was respite, he hardened his heart, and hearkened not unto them; as the Lord had said.

16 And the Lord said unto Moses, Say unto Aaron, Stretch out thy rod, and smite the dust of the land, that it may become lice throughout all the land of Egypt.

17 And they did so; for Aaron stretched out his hand with his rod, and smote the dust of the earth, and it became lice in man, and in beast; all the dust of the land became lice throughout all the land of Egypt.

18 And the magicians did so with their enchantments to bring forth lice, but they could not: so there were lice upon man, and upon beast.

19 Then the magicians said unto Pharaoh, This is the finger of God: and Pharaoh’s heart was hardened, and he hearkened not unto them; as the Lord had said.

20 And the Lord said unto Moses, Rise up early in the morning, and stand before Pharaoh; lo, he cometh forth to the water; and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord, Let my people go, that they may serve me.

21 Else, if thou wilt not let my people go, behold, I will send swarms of flies upon thee, and upon thy servants, and upon thy people, and into thy houses: and the houses of the Egyptians shall be full of swarms of flies, and also the ground whereon they are.

22 And I will sever in that day the land of Goshen, in which my people dwell, that no swarms of flies shall be there; to the end thou mayest know that I am the Lord in the midst of the earth.

23 And I will put a division between my people and thy people: to morrow shall this sign be.

24 And the Lord did so; and there came a grievous swarm of flies into the house of Pharaoh, and into his servants’ houses, and into all the land of Egypt: the land was corrupted by reason of the swarm of flies.

25 And Pharaoh called for Moses and for Aaron, and said, Go ye, sacrifice to your God in the land.

26 And Moses said, It is not meet so to do; for we shall sacrifice the abomination of the Egyptians to the Lord our God: lo, shall we sacrifice the abomination of the Egyptians before their eyes, and will they not stone us?

27 We will go three days’ journey into the wilderness, and sacrifice to the Lord our God, as he shall command us.

28 And Pharaoh said, I will let you go, that ye may sacrifice to the Lord your God in the wilderness; only ye shall not go very far away: intreat for me.

29 And Moses said, Behold, I go out from thee, and I will intreat the Lord that the swarms of flies may depart from Pharaoh, from his servants, and from his people, to morrow: but let not Pharaoh deal deceitfully any more in not letting the people go to sacrifice to the Lord.

30 And Moses went out from Pharaoh, and intreated the Lord.

31 And the Lord did according to the word of Moses; and he removed the swarms of flies from Pharaoh, from his servants, and from his people; there remained not one.

32 And Pharaoh hardened his heart at this time also, neither would he let the people go.

3. lee says

After listening and reading (from mostly conservative sources) about Hillary’s testimony for two days, and getting angrier and angrier because she is b-s-ing her way through the hearings AND GETTING AWAY WITH IT, I find that my left-wing nut-job facbook friends are posting pictures of Hillary, with comments to the effect of, “Let’s thank her for her service to our country.” Apparently, someone even set up a site where you can do this. DON’T THESE PEOPLE PAY ANY ATTENTION?!?! I already know the answer–no, they do not. To quote those deep and profound philosophers, Simon and Garfunkle, “A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest. Lie la lie…”

HE SAID: “We said that we would go after al Qaeda,” Obama told supporters in Washington on Sept. 28, “and they are on the run and bin Laden is dead.”

SHE SAID: “We now face a spreading jihadist threat,” she said, adding“We have to recognize this is a global movement.”

I say: There’s a fly on the annointed one.

5. Michael Adams says

So, they lie and get away with it, and will continue to do it. They are almost in control of health care.  They are proposing to register all our guns, which is, first of all. the necessary prerequisite to confiscation, but, in the meantime, it creates a category of crime with which many who might talk back can be charged. (A felony, no less.)What else could they possibly do to consolidate power?  Ay, yes, naturalize eleven million citizens, whose own country of origin chose to keep them uneducated, the better to control them. Bourgeois Mexicans know this, sending their kids to private schools or to boarding schools in Texas and, one would assume, California. Then these “new citizens”, many of them illiterate in two languages, can be led as needed by the Spanish networks, to vote for whatever the elite Left wants next.

Perhaps M. Martel might do a piece on those networks, and their very strong leftward lean, for those who do not speak Spanish. The Demagogue Party  must be stopped. Are Boehner and McConnell up to the task? Even with Ted Cruz to help and advise them, are they wily enough? The Republicans need to make the right (cooperative) noises, and send every new Obamination through the Office of Circumlocution, again and again, until maybe, we might get a new Senate and a stronger House.

Meanwhile, outside of Congress, and in the absence of any honest media, some Conservative group needs to be running TV ads, several different campaigns, several different issues, but flood the states that might elect a Republican Senator in two years. “Resist we much”, because they are truly unmitigated evil, and this is life and death.

It will be an interesting thing to live in the end times. For that is when Good and Evil ultimately clash, without any of this weakness for politics, debate, argument, and talking.

Then again, I can’t quite believe the end is nigh, and God’s Kingdom will come down to Earth to wipe out Satan’s temporal regime, until the regiments of angels from the heavens themselves smite down millions of terrorists and corrupt bureaucrats. The only sign I will accept is the sign of blood. Otherwise, God wants us to solve our own problems. Which, coincidentally, is also a path washed with blood.