Has Obamacare increased or decreased the chances of socialized medicine?

We all know that Obama and the Democrats committed fraud on a massive scale when the sold the public on Obamacare.  I do not believe that, in the annals of history in any democratic country has a government ever committed fraud against its people in such a way.

Andrew McCarthy makes the case that the purpose behind this fraud was to pave the way for socialized medicine.  The goal he says, was to knock everyone off their insurance, to destroy the insurance companies by bankrupting them, and then to have the government ride to the rescue.  I have no doubt that this is correct.  Indeed, I have never had any doubt, since conservatives, including those gathered at this blog, having been making precisely that argument since 2009.

What I’m wondering now, though, is whether the Democrats bollixed up their obvious goal through their own corruption and incompetence.  In a couple of years, when everything collapses, will people see the government as the white knight charging to the rescue or, after having watched Obamacare in action, will they do everything possible to avoid having the government take over health care?  If this plays out right, moving into 2016, won’t there be a rush to Republicans?

As always, the only question is whether the Republicans will offer a real market-based plan, or if they’ll just offer their own dreadful version of government-run medicine.

Incidentally, when it comes to government’s built-in incompetence creating large-scale technological projects, I cannot recommend this post highly enough.

Comments

1. JKB says

Health Insurance Marketplace: Please wait

We have  lot of patients on our program right now and we’re working to make our experience here better.  Please wait here for months or years until we send you to a doctor’s office.  Thanks for your patients!  The wealthy should proceed to their private physician for world-class care.

2. JKB says

What I find amusing is the constant references to the VA medical care.  It was only 20 years or so ago, when the VA was death and suffering.
    See the movie ‘Article 99′.  That isn’t science fiction, it was the conditions at the VA at the time.  Perhaps they got that sorted a bit, after a lot of the Vietnam veterans died before getting treatment.  But then the VA has another way of slowing benefits today with their claims file processing.

But then really all that happened was that a Democrat was elected into the Oval office.

3. Ron19 says

“Healthcare.gov and the Gulf Between Planning and Reality”

Good article.  Good comments.

I’ve lived through some of that stuff myself, and read about much of the rest in books like the Mythical Man Month.

4. Robert Arvanitis says

JKB – Valid observations, except that “world class care” does not (co-)exist in an economy driven by socialism.
    Book – Because America is a nation of the restless (no matter whence they came), the Obama assault on our culture will be a wake-up call, not a torpedo.  Word.

5. Duchess of Austin says

@ Robert Arvanitis

Sure it does.  Ask any Brit and they will tell you that they have a 2 tiered system (well…the honest ones will).  The rich have their own private health insurance/care, and then there’s everybody else.  Same with Canada.  Those who can afford it come to the US to get treatment, rather than languish on a waiting list for, possibly, years.  The British created “health tourism.”  Google it…they go to other countries with better health care because they can afford to pay for travel and treatment.  Under Obamacare, that will happen here.  The rich will continue to be able to pay for the best health care and the rest of us will get Obamacare’s little blue and red pills.

As for the subject of this post…I’m dubious.  I’m just not sure there are enough informed voters out there anymore.  The Republicans have so damaged their brand that I don’t know if enough “swing” voters will trust them to govern any better than what we have now, and from the comments and stories on Obamacare that I’ve read, the Obots who are getting screwed by it are still loyal to the democrat brand, meaning that regardless of how far they get bent over, they’re still going to vote democrat.

I’ve gotten to the point where I can barely stand to read the news anymore because it’s just so disheartening.  I’m of an age to face the death panels and it scares the heck out of me.  Ask most young people and they haven’t got a clue as to which party believes in what.  They’ve been indoctrinated in school that the Republicans are the bad guys, period.  Most of them will tell you that Hitler was a Republican without batting an eyelash.

Maybe it’s time to form a third, conservative party without the damage that the term “republican” brings to the subject.  Perhaps the people out there who realize that the democrat party has gone red will listen and actually think about the issues, rather than reject the ideas out of hand because they’re preceded by the word “republican.”  The democrats rebranded themselves as Progressives when they ruined the term “liberal.”  Perhaps its time for us to do the same.

I agree, Duchess, the GOP is broken.  Really, it ought to be easy for them to recast themselves as the responsible adults in the household, and the Democrats are the spoiled, arrogant children who don’t have a clue.  And we need to take the keys to the car away from those children RIGHT NOW before they do any more harm.  I think that constant message – and it’s a message that must attack Democrats relentlessly as utter fools – would work very well.

But I am also sure that they won’t do it.  Nor will they do anything else that would be effective.

7. Matt_SE says

Once the employer mandate cancellations start to kick in (middle of 2014?), tens of millions of Americans will be directly affected. The rest will be indirectly affected. There may be literally nobody who either hasn’t been cancelled or knows someone who has.
    The sheer scope of this fuck-up is without precedent.
    I expect even the lowest of the low-information voters to notice that something has happened. If that something is a positive for them, they will remain much as they are today. If that something is negative, they will be furious…there might even be healthcare riots.
    With the chaos induced in the insurance system, there might be only one winner for every five losers.

So, I expect the numbers and intensity to be wildly on Republicans’ side.

As the article linked stated, the problem with big government is the contempt the “elite” have for the masses. That is a trait shared by most Democrat leaders and RINOs. When people like McConnell denigrate the Tea Party (the group that gave Republicans the House in 2010), it shows that any solution he comes up with will likely suffer from the same problems.
    It seems the best solution is to get rid of the old guard and put competent leadership in their place. We need to clean our own house first.
    The alternative of a 3rd party may work in the long-term, but I think only after a decade or more in the political wilderness. Since I expect a financial meltdown before 10 years have passed, I don’t think we have that much time.

8. Robert Arvanitis says

@Duchess of Austin
    True, there are always elites. like the Soviet nomenklatura. And they can buy the best for themselves abroad or import it.
    But we can’t have here a world class medical system here if we fall into socialism.  The most insidious part of Obamacare is the medical device tax.  If the cancellations are a meat ax, then the medical device tax is a stiletto to the heart of the system.
    Meanwhile, where’s the new Reagan?

9. lee says

I recall someone from Belgium telling me how absolutely WONDERFUL “healthcare” was there, and how it was SOOOOOO much better than in the US, and how easy it was for them to get into to see a doctor, and get everything taken care of, and how they had almost no wait time! And it was ALL because they had “SOCIALIZED” healthcare there…

And then I pointed out that their employer provided, as a benefit, additional health insurance, and that they weren’t REALLY going through the “socialized” system at all…

Which if we do wind up going to the socialized health care route, is where we will ultimately wind up. But I am NOT rich, and will probably be OLD by that time, and on line to go watch a movie and become soylent green…

10. Duchess of Austin says

The problem we have here is that it takes, literally, millions of dollars to get elected to public office.  Who, among us, has the capital to do that?  Moreover, once you throw your hat into the ring, if you’re not a progressive or a rank liberal, you can expect your previous life to go under the microscope of the press, and unless you have the nuts to lock your whole life up, ala Obama….well…the kid you bullied in 6th grade is going to end up on the front page of the New York Times recounting the story, with a few embellishments.  Anything stupid you’ve ever said or done will be unearthed and used against you.  Now that we live in the age of cell phones with cameras and video, you can expect a few of those to surface, too.  So, given all that, who in their right mind is going to run for office as an outright conservative?

The GOP brand is definitely damaged.  What do we do about it?  How do we wage the war of ideas when the progressives have so stacked the deck against us?  It pains me that my beloved country may fall to full on socialism, but it may have to in order to overthrow it.  Trouble is…it may take centuries for the voters (if they’re allowed by the ruling class to keep their votes, that is) to understand what they threw away in the name of “free stuff.”

The quote by Alexander Fraser Tyler sums it up the best:
    A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship.

The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations from the beginning of history has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to complacency; From complacency to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.

IMO, we’re at the “apathy to dependence” part.  It sickens me.

11. Ellen says

Like the Duchess, I am getting to the age where the Powers That Be probably consider me a drain on the economy.  I am still employed and in superb health but I’m 63 and that makes me too old to be useful to the greater good.
    Lord how I hate utilitarianism.