Clearing out the inbox

I’d reached critical mass in the inbox.  It was either spend the day working through it or go nuclear which, in my case, doesn’t mean blowing up Israel, but does mean simply deleting everything in my inbox, knowing that there’s no way I will ever read what’s in there.  I chose not to go nuclear, and I am grateful for that decision, as I was able to find a lot of wonderful stuff.  Herewith, and in no particular order, stuff I culled from my inbox:

Following up on my post about the fact that we’re now living in a Soviet joke, a reader sent me this great one liner:  “Under Obamacare if you get sick, the doctors will pretend to heal you and the government will pretend to pay for it.”

One of my favorite bloggers, who happens to be a teacher, is Mike McDaniel.  He saw two newspaper articles that I’d seen too, and that I wanted to blog about, but never got around to.  Now, I’m grateful for my sloth, because Mike did a better job with them than I ever could have done.  The first is a bit frisky, but that’s only because (honest to God truth) an American university is giving students credit for attending a class that teaches them how to masturbateWhen I were a lad, we were so poor, we had to figure those things out by ourselves.  The other “education” story is less funny, because it has even more seriously implications for the joke that our university system has become.  Once you learn about micro-aggression, I think you’ll agree that we’re within striking distance of the end of the world as we know it.

Speaking of how far we’ve come, someone sent me a link to this project:  beautiful photo albums showing toys that were once an ordinary part of life but that would now result in a manufacturer’s lynching.  I have fond memories of “puffing” on toy cigarettes.  Interestingly, those sugary white rods with bright red tips never made me more inclined to try the real thing, which smelled bad and made me cough.

Oh, and while we’re on silly stuff, here’s a test for you:  in which countries are these various toilets located?  I got 50% correct and I can’t decide if that speaks well of me or badly.

In September, during the shutdown, someone sent me a link to a Red State story about GOP hostility to Ted Cruz.  Showing that political time is like dog years, in the two months and one day since Red State published that article, the world has turned upside down, thanks to the Obamacare exchange roll-out.  Suddenly, the article seems like a relic.  The GOP is still hostile, but it now has a serious problem with the fact that Ted Cruz was right.  (I was right too; just sayin’.)

I spoke today on the phone with Stella Paul and it explained a lot about why her articles are so insightful, intelligent, and beautifully written.  She is insightful, intelligent, and beautifully spoken.  (I always knew Obama’s books were fakes because nobody who wrote as well as he ostensibly did could speak as badly as he does off the cuff.  The person who wrote Obama’s books loves language; Obama does not.)  You can catch a lot of Stella’s stuff at American Thinker, such as her delightful and astute attack against the Obamacare exchange.  She’s also publishing at Leeb’s Market Forecast, with her most recent article there about the scary fact that we are trapped inside a government Matrix and only a few brave folks are willing to take a stand against it.  When it comes to Hollywood, Stella includes in her article one of the most frightening quotations I’ve ever heard:  “‘We know from research that when people watch entertainment television, even if they know it’s fiction, they tend to believe that the factual stuff is actually factual,’ said grant recipient Martin Kaplan of the University of Southern California’s Norman Lear Center.”  Lee Habeeb’s proposed alternate TV channel can’t come fast enough.

One of the fascinating things about the Obamacare debacle is the way in which the New York Times has desperately been trying to cover up Obama’s lies.  “Incorrect promise” tops the list of course, but the Times is spinning so frantically, it’s running out of neologisms, neo-phrases, and outright lies about lies in order to cover for Obama’s forked tongue.  They should be better at this than they are.  As Lee Stranahan wrote a month ago, the Left has always lied about itself and its motives.

Thomas Friedman may be nominally Jewish, but he’s nominally Jewish the way Noam Chomsky is.  These guys are anti-Semitic Jews who are “thoughtful” enough to provide cover for all the other anti-Semites who aren’t Jews.  (“Yeah, so what if I say a Jewish cabal rules the world and therefore all Jews need to be destroyed?  Some of my best friends are Jews and they say the same thing.”)  Elliot Abrams caught Friedman in a doozy of an anti-Semitic screed, one that could have fit comfortably in the pages of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion. Friedman isn’t just a fool and a hypocrite, he’s a fool and a hypocrite who worships at the altar of totalitarianism and will happily pave the way for the next round of gas chambers — although he’ll pride himself on the fact that, when the time comes, he’ll weakly protest that Jews shouldn’t actually be sent there.

Since the Obama administration has been preparing talking points for Democrats to use to browbeat friends and relatives about Obamacare during Thanksgiving, Ace prepared talking points for conservatives.  Very worth reading.

“Mr. Obama, we at Fox News are not the problem.  You are.”  (Hat tip:  Earl):

A friend of mine, a former Air Force pilot, wrote a book, called The Unusual Travels of Lee and Tammy.  I was happy to leave this review at Amazon:

Mr. Strom has written a charming, imaginative book about a gateway between our moon and another world that can support human life. Funnily enough, Mr. Strom’s writing style reminded me strongly of Damon Runyon’s wonderful stories (which served as the basis for “Guys and Dolls.”). His dialogue has that same present tense formality that Runyon uses, which allows us to see the characters as from a slight distance.

The plot is straightforward: several astronauts from the world’s major countries are sent to the moon for a scientific study. Lee, an Armenian, accidentally falls through a portal into another world. Once he convinces his fellow astronauts of his existence, four of them, including Tammy, who becomes Lee’s romantic interest, explore the world. They discover its connection to earth, and have some unnerving experiences as they navigate their way through this strange, yet familiar, world.

I actually expected the book to be a more “Star Wars” type adventure with lots of shoot ‘em stuff. It’s not, though. It manages, instead, to imagine a realistic scenario, one that sees far away scientists make an exciting new discovery, and then follows through on how both the scientists and those back home (both funders and governments) respond to the possibilities of this discovery.

And lastly, during the shutdown, someone made a wonderful poster about the National Park Service employees who seemed to be so willing to carry out Obama’s orders to punish Americans — especially those who served our country so bravely — by closing down open-air parks.  Even though the shutdown is over, it’s worth reminding ourselves what happened in October, because Obama has made it very plain that he will not hesitate to mobilize America’s unionized government workers against Americans:

National Park Service

Comments

”We know from research that when people watch entertainment television, even if they know it’s fiction, they tend to believe that the factual stuff is actually factual”…yes, I think this is definitely true, and I think it’s probably even more true for movies (seen in theaters) than for TV, because of the darkness, the absence of distractions, and the group identification from being part of an audience.

Tell Mr. Strom that Glenn Reynolds will post announcements of books written by readers, including a link to where they’re sold.  A good (and cheap) way to get his book noticed by a LOT of people……

3. JKB says

I still see the bubblegum cigarettes and cigars around every once in a while.

As a kid, we’d walk the mile down to the local store collecting coke bottles for the deposit, which we’d then use to buy real cigars.  And usually a coke to get the bad taste out of our mouths.

—-
    The federal employees should be reminded about what they do between now and 2017, Obama will be out of office before the statute of limitations runs out.

4. lee says

I got 60% of them right. I kicked myself on missing two–the choices tended to be: Some weird place out there that this is so weird it just might be there (which was usually wrong), a normal place that just couldn’t have one THAT weird (which was usually right) and a third choice, just to round out the pack. Knowing that, one should really be able to get at least 70% or 80% correct….

One black person told me around 2008 that there is no America, only Obamacans and Obamaca.

I thought that was a very insightful view into the future. I would have promoted them as prophets, if they weren’t already tools.

“”‘We know from research that when people watch entertainment television, even if they know it’s fiction, they tend to believe that the factual stuff is actually factual,’”

We know from Milgram’s experiments that people under the eye of authority will also Obey the order to kill strangers they can’t see, but can hear screaming, so long as the order is only to push a button.

Authority is the solution humanity found to organizing cooperation for survival. But in cases where survival does not rely on authority, authority becomes more of a suicide impulse than anything else. If most of humanity are sheep and followers, and it only matters what those in authority are, then the most important thing for human survival is learning to pick correct leaders. But a bunch of sheep can’t be depended on to pick anything. Hence once a population reaches the critical mass of Obedience, leaders pick themselves.

If a bunch of scientists and other people in authority said A was true, most people in the audience would believe it. They turn their brains off and rely on Authority and the Mob for their reality. Humanity never evolved for everyone to be an individual. That would make cooperation easier but also make authority pointless. In the animal kingdom, some humans behave like cats, solitary predators, others behave as a pack of predators, like dogs, and others only feel safe and validity living with a herd.

Six out of ten, myself, although it was a toss-up on the Smithsonian/submarine/space one…
    The NPS photoshop is very apt – in a single week, the Park Service managed to burn through at least half a century of good will.

7. JKB says

Ymarsakar,

I offer this observation from long ago in support:

Freedom of speech and freedom of thought are catchpenny phrases. There is much of the former, but very little of the latter. Speech is generally the result of automatic thought rather than of ratiocination. Independent thought is of all mental processes the most difficult and the most rare; habit, tradition, and reverence for antiquity unite to forbid it, and these combined influences are strengthened by the law of heredity. The tendency to automatic action of the mind is still further promoted by the environment of modern life. The crowding of populations into cities, and the division and subdivision of labor in the factory and the shop, and even in the so-called learned professions, have a tendency to increase the dependence of the individual upon the mass of society. And this interdependence of the units of society renders them more and more imitative, and hence more and more automatic both mentally and physically.

Early, I was personally exposed to the rotteness of society, both small and large. It seemed like honesty was only something I valued instinctively, while others used deception to get ahead in life. That kind of motivation seemed alien and incomprehensible to me, and a society of humans that promoted or tolerated that was something even more stressful to imagine.

As such studying psychology, brainwashing, interrogation protocols, and body language was a number 1 priority for me early on. However, after 9/11 my hobbies shifted to a more physical nature. The key point to learning how to kill humans, especially with bare hands when lacking the power advantage of melee weapons or the distance factor of pushing a button/trigger, is social inhibitions, restraints, and limits. Only in times of great rage or fear was I able to throw off social limits and think without emotion clouding my judgment, or without social rules against violence holding me back, or without influence from “external” societal approval or reputation. Given that this isn’t a conscious control and only happens via triggers, I didn’t feel I had full coverage of enough situations. Emotions take time to rachet up. Fear requires that one becomes aware of a threat. Both are things that don’t necessarily happen before a person needs to take action.

So what I sought to train and give myself was only one ability. Not a technique. Not mystic voodoo (although a lot more of that works than I thought it would). I wanted to switch off the social limiters at a moment’s notice. Learning to switch it “back on” wasn’t really the problem. In terms of speed, fear is probably my best and preferred weapon. In one heartbeat, it can go active. Emotions can be useful, but they take an extremely long time to activate. Often times far longer than the 5 second gap between life and death.

So, early on, I learned to temporarily suspend society’s chains on me, not for the purposes of fighting society or changing the world, but merely for killing criminals, who I may or may not have considered human at the time. This allowed me to concentrate and learn to operate in realistic conditions, rather than safe feeling training environments. But it was not a deconditioning, merely a temporary lifting of limits. It took quite a few years to deprogram a lot of the things I picked up from society.

Humans are weak to being alone, since that was often equivalent to death in the old days. A single person would most often not be able to fight off bandits, wild animals, or recover from injuries sustained by mistakes. As tribes with more people take his stuff, that single human becomes weaker and weaker. This ancient evolutionary path translates as avoidance of fear and avoidance of being hated in human society. The drive is so strong that members of small groups will harass, torture, and hate external enemies of the group, in order to solidify their place in the hierarchy. Being “hated” is the same as being exiled and left to die alone, to human dna. Thus humans who have not accepted their own death, who have not accepted responsibility for their own lives and deeds, have no resistance to these unspoken, unclarified directives. They turn into obedient automatons, because the drive to survive controls them, fear of dying controls them. Their excuse when it all falls down is, “But I was only following orders. It wasn’t my idea to do X, Y, and Z. I can’t be blamed for doing what it takes to survive”. What people don’t realize, what they don’t want to think about, is that if you allow someone else to make decisions for you, if you allow someone else to protect you from the consequences of your own decisions, you are no longer a human. Humans have free will. Those who are not human… don’t need things like “human rights” or “life”.

Regimes in human history have often used demonization to “Other” certain target groups, to make it easier to kill them with public approval. But in my case, people “other” themselves merely by breathing air often times. Since it is obvious that they are merely “following orders”. Deconditioning societal inhibitions that say being hated is wrong by other humans, a shortcut cheat would be to negate the status of the target as human to begin with. Most people find themselves incapable of doing so, unless ordered to do so, because they don’t want to take responsibility for living, killing, hating, or being hated. They are afraid of dying. They are afraid of being alone. They are afraid of shouldering responsibility, duty, and social repercussions without the safety net of the “group”.

As I learned more about the world and the limitations of humans, I grew to pity criminals. They were no longer the demon eyed inhuman creatures I imagined them to be. I no longer needed to hate them to kill them. I no longer needed to fear them to kill them. I no longer needed to demonize them to kill them. Techniques are useless. The brain is the weapon precisely because if the order isn’t given, the body does not obey. Also, I came to know that there were worst things in the species than criminals. I made it a habit to study them for further insights into what people call “humanity”.

I was not originally taught that physical attacks or defenses would make me immune to death. On the contrary, I was told by people I believed in, that any attack I used was just as effective against the target as it was against me. That I only knew that it worked because I knew it would destroy myself. Thus learning how to destroy others carried an assumption that I was also learning how to destroy myself. A person that did not want to take personal ownership of their own life, preferring to offload it unto the shoulders of other people, would not be able to continue the training with that in mind. The concept of skill, firepower, or speed making a person ‘invulnerable’ is an often desired goal in martial arts.

Yet only those who have embraced their own death, their own physical destruction, can climb the mountain to the goal of Mars.

“Cause pain before you injure. Injure before you maim. Maim before you kill. And if you must kill, make it a clean kill. Squeeze every drop of life from the opponent. Because life is so precious, it cannot be wasted, even in death.”

“Let him cut your skin, and you cut his flesh. Let him cut your flesh, and you cut his bones. Let him cut your bones, and you cut off his life.”-various written sayings in Ancient Japan

In the samurai days, it was often considered a victory for both sides if a duel ended with a simultaneous kill. Even if you cannot kill the enemy before dying, at least kill the enemy As you are dying.

I seriously doubt that a people or culture that prided themselves on individual ability or individual judgment, would ever be in a situation where they would be pitied by us for having wasted so many years of their life causing a calamity they think others need to save them from. Certainly for this country’s fall, not many will approve of such unjust fates. Can’t really call it unjust will, since they never had a “will” to begin with. It’s like thinking, “the gun fired unjustly at the child”. Or, “the sword unjustly cut down the flying branch”. Justice is a matter of choice, decisions, and human consequences.

If a person is ordered to go kill an entire tribe because that tribe has sinned against the Regime, the Divine Authority of our time, we might consider that injustice, evil, or stupid.

if a person, of their own will, fights to wipe out a tribe in revenge for the killing of his wife and unborn child, we might consider that the height of warrior virtue and supreme independence of will in a human soul. For one person, fighting his own war, against hundreds of enemies, over decades of time, without dying or failing.

History has seen both kinds of event occur. While movies and entertainment seek to glorify and profit off these kinds of human events, originally they were stranger than the fiction. Because it was done by real people, as opposed to fictional actors.

Whatever comes in the future for this country, whether war, economic collapse, or totalitarian purging of the old and disabled, people are in for the shock of their lives. As they struggle to grasp for somebody to “save” them. I’ll certainly pity the poor fools, but I’ll never acknowledge them or approve.

Btw, I finished reading Rory miller’s Meditations on Violence. It’s freaky how much of his thoughts mirror my own. While he is certainly a more authoritative voice, I’m glad to know he hasn’t deluded himself into thinking his authority matters to evolution or nature (or God).

Danny, Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer is actually pretty funny. But only because it’s in German. I hadn’t realized the English translation was what it was until you mentioned it.

Book, the Protocols seem like they were talking about Leftist Jews, if nobody else. Perhaps the Left A, in creating a myth, were talking about themselves, as they usually do?

I recently noticed that Kindle, handheld OS systems, broke Microsoft’s market share (what people call monopoly, though really isn’t one). Things like allowing people to publish books on kindle, without a publishing house “vetting them”, also breaks through a lot of the barriers to an author being published. I often notice that a lot of the stuff in US markets feel the same, fictional wise. I often wondered if there was such an unbridgeable gap between US fiction and Japanese fiction, until I read the stuff independent authors wrote in the US. They felt very similar. Japan merely develops individual talent, without crushing it with conformity, and has been doing so for the last 30 years. Whereas the US market has only recently seen independent break throughs of the publishing house’s “fetters”.