A little flotsam and a little jetsam

Victorian posy of pansiesMy husband was working on a Word document that needed to have paragraphs and subparagraphs numbered.  As I’m sure you know, if you start inserting paragraph numbers without creating distinct styles, Word takes on a life of its own, and starts generating multiple styles.  Eventually, every paragraph in my husband’s document was numbered either 4 or 5, and each numbering had a different format.  Since I enjoy word processing, my husband asked me if I could fix it.  He confidently expected it would be a three or four minute job.  Thirty-minutes later, I was still working on it.  It turned out that the document was so horribly coded I couldn’t fix it.  Instead, I had to strip it to basic text and then re-code.  The point of this is that some things cannot be fixed.  They are so profoundly ill-conceived or damaged that they have to be scrapped and started from scratch.  So it is with Obamacare:  It is so dreadful, corrupt, and dysfunctional at every level that it cannot be fixed.

I was raised by a narcissist and can tell you, both from my experience and from having read up on the subject, that narcissists lack a sense of privacy.  Or, more accurately, they lack a sense of your privacy.  Their sense of their own privacy is highly developed.  But if your parent is a narcissist, you are not allowed any physical or mental realms into which they are barred from intruding.  They own you.  To the extent that Leftist ideology has a great deal in common with malignant narcissism, it’s scarcely surprising that Leftists don’t have a problem with turning you inside out and making you their own.  You are not a stand-alone individual; you are a subset of the narcissist’s own grandiose sense of self.

Dennis Prager says most of what needs to be said about the appalling judicial decision in Colorado that threatens to send a man to prison for refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding.

Do you remember Lee Iacocca?  Dan Akerson, GM’s CEO does not.  Pity.

Let’s be clear.  The historical St. Nicholas, on whom Santa Claus is based, was as a Greek from the region that is now Turkey.  He was Caucasian, although he probably had a swarthy complexion.  That’s fact.  Santa Claus is a 19th century American construct.  He’s pretend, so people can pretend him to be whatever the heck color they desire.  My imaginary Santa Claus is a pleasant turquoise, just because I like it that way.  This whole debate is as ridiculous as the notion that Jesus is a fair-haired, blue-eyed Northern European.

Spengler talks about what “land for peace” really means in the Middle East (or anywhere, for that matter).

Comments

Ah! Something to think about while snowed in. What bothers me most is not the Leftist response it is the lack of libertarian response. Where the @$@@###! are they? You would think they would oppose government coercion of small businesses run mostly by individuals who just want to be left alone but they seem fine with it. After all it only affects those crazy religious people (and old Ayn had no use for religion).  Libertarians sold gay unions as something that would not be in the government sphere since the government is not fit to decide what is religiously true or not.
    When they “won” they declared it a victory for human rights and then went full in on gay “marriage”. A total bait and switch. Since then I don’t trust libertarians on anything.

I don’t think Libertarians are as free and independent as they think they are. They are just a different sort of tool. They just don’t know it.

Some are actually “free thinkers” and those with independent judgment… but most aren’t. Most are drug addicts or addicted to atheism or some other “thing”.

3. lee says

Not a big Iacocca fan. He was the main person behind the decision to not recall the Pinto, and when Ford sacked him, he essentially stole the Aerostar and brought it to Dodge/Chrysler. (Wikipedia would have you beleive Fird rejected the minivan concept, but no, Lee just stole it. Ford did not ursue it because frankly, it was not worth the money time and potentially bad press.)

You said what needed to be said about Santa Claus, Book.

I’d add that Santa Claus has a lot more to do – in the US at least – wiith Northern Europe, and even Viking mythology, than with a Greek Saint Nicholas. The Northern European aspects of the myth dominate; at the time of his invention through now, the dominant culture in the US has been white-based.  Is it any surprise at all, that for most of us, Santa Claus “is white”?  Of course he is.

But if I go to a department store in an all-black neighborhood, and the kids are lined up to see Santa, I’d actually expect that Santa to be black.  And I’d expect Santa Claus merchandise, if available, at least some of it to feature a Black Santa.  And I’d expect to see black Barbies for sale in the toy aisle, too.

If it’s racism for our mythological figures to “look like us”, then that’s about as benign a form of racism as is possible.  And if Santa’s skin color matters to ANYONE, then that is in fact racist.  No one should really give a damn if Santa looks Chinese in Chinatown.  I guess I would find it odd to see him wearing a turban.  But that’s just me.

Now, if someone wanted to change MY Santa to be black (meaning, try to force all depictions of Santa to be black), well, they’ve got another coming to them.  You can have yours, and I’ll have mine.  I’ll leave yoours alone, and you’d better leave mine the hell alone too.

As for Megan Kelly saying “Jesus was white” (and she did say it), well, that’s a little tougher.  Jesus probably looked a heck of a lot like your average Jew of the time period.  A female relative of mine had a picture of Jesus. years ago, above the door to her study. The picture showed him shoulders. neck. and head.  He had long brown straight hair, and looked like a very buff, superbly conditioned athlete who’d just finished an hour of sweaty tough on the field training. If I had to peg his origin in the picture, I’d choose Sweden. I called him “Soccer Jesus”.  She wasn’t happy.

5. Matt_SE says

Interesting about your family history with narcissism. I too have a narcissist in my family; my eldest brother. I view it as an interesting life experience, and quite instructive.
    Narcissists don’t regard other people as autonomous individuals. Instead, these people are seen as props; mere scenery whose value is either neutral if not interacting with the narcissist, or whose value is solely derived from their usefulness to the narcissist if interacting with them.

The main mistake normal people make when dealing with them is to presume they have a sense of shame. They try very hard to get the narcissist to admit they were wrong about something and exhibit remorse. This remorse never comes, even if one nails them down after serial evasions.
    Rather ironically, I now view narcissists as objects. You cannot change their nature, and it is a mistake to try.

6. Matt_SE says

As far as the Colorado gay cake thing goes: it is far past the time for reasonable disagreement. The only appropriate response to groups/governments taking away your rights is civil disobedience.
    This is the path that religious organizations in the US should be taking regarding Obamacare. The Catholic diocese should be staging public protests and sit-ins to take the fight directly to the legislators. They should be chaining themselves together outside state capitols or in D.C.
    They should make the authorities arrest their members on national TV, all the while chanting that they won’t submit to coercion. This should be the civil rights marches of our times.

People have no idea what Jesus Christ looked like. There are assumptions, but the Northern European assumption is just as false and unverifiable as the Middle Eastern assumption.

What American and Western culture is doing is reconstructing the past to justify the present.

• barbtheevilgenius says

Jesus was born in the Middle East, to a Jewish mother. He lived in a culture that accepted Him as being Jewish. He couldn’t have looked too different from the other Jews around Him.

• says

He could not have looked different?

You’re talking about gods and mythology here. He can not? Did you just say something like “X” cannot exist?

There’s a lot more than X here, that cannot exist.

So basically people are making assumptions about divinity, their creation legends, and what people tell them because. They never saw for themselves. They never found any evidence proving one way or another. People just believe, on faith alone. The idea that there is even a “look” they know of Middle Easterners in those times, is on faith alone.

They never saw a single person alive during those times. Not one. Yet they think they know what people “looked like”. They don’t know anything of the sort.

• barbtheevilgenius says

A God that came to earth born of a human woman can do anything He wants. My point is, He claimed to be the Messiah, and yet many of His contemporaries rejected Him because they knew Him and His family, and where He grew up. He was just that guy from the next town over. Which to my mind means He probably didn’t stand out as being terribly different.
          So are you going to argue that humans may somehow have evolved in 2,000 years so radically that we don’t look anything like our ancestors? That people in ancient China were coal black, and people in Africa were pasty white, and the Celts looked look like Polynesians? And this all changed in 2,000 years?

• says

As I mentioned below here, my stance is that people are not in a position to judge one way or another.

They have no way of knowing.

“That people in ancient China were coal black, and people in Africa were pasty white, and the Celts looked look like Polynesians? And this all changed in 2,000 years?”

People think they need to have some kind of judgment or final closure here. It has to be A. Or it has to be B. But no, it doesn’t have to be either one.

8. Ellen says

I was married to a narcissist.  Most women want to hear those three little words: “I love you”.  I wanted to hear another three little words:  “I’m sorry dear”.  I never did.

Humans evolved with an instinct switch for defeating enemies in warfare. So either a target is considered human, like you, or they are considered an animal or inanimate target that is a threat.

The reason why people can’t stand on their moral high horse, gazing over the battlefield, detached from the killing and from becoming the enemy they fight, is merely because only by directly fighting an enemy can you become able of defeating them. But the more capable you become at this, the more you understand the enemy and the more you do what the enemy does. There’s often no way to win a war against an enemy, without adapting to that enemy by doing some of the things they do. As such, the moral position that our side is “better” than theirs, that we don’t do the things they do, eventually breaks down. The harder the war is to fight and win, the faster this barrier breaks down.

Since humans can’t effectively fight people they consider the same as themselves, yet must do the same things as the enemy to overcome the enemy, there’s a trigger instinct/switch we have.

You can see this trigger when a narcissist treats you as nonhuman, and you start responding by treating them as nonhuman. This is the trigger flipping. It’s a survival mechanism. Objectively speaking, it’s the same thing, treating humans as nonhumans. But this is a defense mechanism. In social experiments, each party can be given a choice between trust, telling the truth, and betraying the other party. In game theory, the party that is always honest and truthful, until they are betrayed, then they will break all rules to destroy the party that betrayed them, has the highest chance of survival and prosperity.

This has Nothing to do with being on a moral high horse looking over the battlefield and thinking the peasants are doing the dying to keep oneself pure and clean, however.

10. Wolf Howling says

1.  There is more Odin in Santa Claus than the real Saint Nicholas.  Much of the trappings of the ancient German pagan midwinter festival of Yule flushed out the Santa Clause myth – as well as many Christmas traditions.

2.  Obamacare is a grossly inefficient takeover of the healthcare industry.  I am sure it could eventually be “fixed,” but its the foundational premises of the law – redistribution of wealth, taxing the younger generation, war on religion – as well as its obvious foreseeable effects on jobs, the economy, and the healthcare industry, that mean it shouldn’t.

3.  Matt_SE – couldn’t agree with you more that it is long past time for Christians to become far more militant and active in their response to the left’s war on religion.  The lack of response sends a message that they lack the courage of their convictions, and that is fatal.

11. jj says

Is it my imagination, or has Word indeed become steadily more difficult to use, less flexible, and less use-friendly over the years?  The best version of Word I ever used was in about 1989, it was Word III for Macs.  It probably had 150 fonts, and you wrote how you wanted, it formatted as it went along – and it would accept practically anything you wanted (YOU wanted, not IT demanded) as a format.  When you were numbering it didn’t automatically try to moved everything to the right to create a list: it just let you do it.  Formant on the fly.  Since then Word has been getting steadily worse.  It wasn’t broke, but they’ve been relentlessly fixing it for over thirty years, and now they’ve accomplished spaghetti.  It’s really annoying.

• says

I hate Word for exactly that reason, jj.  I’ve always loved Word Perfect because it gives the user total control.  More than that, you can see precisely what coding is going on.  Word has a life of its own.  I’ve mostly managed to tame the Word tiger, but I really hate working with it.  The problem, sadly, is that all my clients have switched to Word, so I’ve been forced to switch too.

What jj said.

Through the years my wife got to the point where she could finish this sentence whenever I would start yelling at Word: “No, you effing piece of %$@#, do what I want you to do, not what you want me to do!”

My standing offer to all I know: Let us form a long convoy of shotgun-toting Microsoft users to drive up Interstate 5 to Redmond, WA, where we will perform the world’s longest overdue and most deserved drive-by.

No it can’t, since that would require a proclamation that J is B.
    3 switches in accurate epistemology. Belief. Non belief. Neutrality.

White Jesus=some people with belief
    Not white Jesus=some people with non belief.
    Neutrality=not enough data to determine.